Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars.com Names Most-Improved and Worst Cars of the Decade

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 08:10 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First, Daewoo products, for some reason, are not very impressive when produced under their own nameplate, but, for some reason (I don't know why ), seem to be far better in quality and fit/finish when produced for other manufacturers. The Suzuki Reno/Forenza/ Verona and the LT2 Chevy Aveo are good examples. All of these vehicles are (or were) Daewoo-produced. The horrendously cheap base Chevy Aveo, though, is another matter.......it is far worse than the nice LT2 version.
I have to agree with this.

I needed a rental car for a while during a period when my ES was being fixed, due to some dummy hitting it in a parking lot...and I wound up with a Suzuki Forenza.

It's got to be the one of the strangest combinations of good and bad I've seen in a car.

The exterior was rather plain, but that's to be expected in an econobox. The ride seemed rather stiff, lots of road noise, and the seats were quite bad. Wouldn't want to sit on them for more than 30 minutes.

Otherwise though, the interior seriously surprised me. Very Germanic in its styling. Relatively soft dash materials, and not too much cheap plastic to be found. Solid door handles both in and out. The buttons had a nice tactile feel you find only on normally more expensive cars. In all, the interior had a fit/finish that was really better than many vehicles in its class, at least IMO.

It's like they threw the entire budget for the car into making a high quality interior (excepting the seats), and went cheap with just about everything else.
Old 09-02-09, 11:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

thanks for sharing the info. Cool read. I agree with a lot of this as well
Old 09-02-09, 11:59 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Trust me......the original Dodge 400/Chrysler convertibles from the early 1980s were even worse. Driving them, especially with the top down, was like driving a huge rubber band.

Did you order a new 2005?
No I only bought the 94 because I worked at Saleen at the time. I traded the Mustang & $9,000. for a 1999 Jag XJR