Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Abandoned Airport + 18 yr olds + twin G35s = Hot damn mess

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 10:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am blown away at how bad the one car that rolled looks. I feel very bad for these two brothers. They were just doing stupid crap. We all did stupid stuff when we were young and just happened to get lucky. I hope nobody thinks they are above this. Wether behind the wheel or anything or anywhere else, we have all done retarded stuff that could have resulted in bodily harm. I hope they will recover. My prayers go out to the family.
Old 09-02-09, 11:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

No surprise at all. Way too much horsepower for a teen. Thank you parents for contributing to my higher insurance rates. Where can I send you the bill?
Old 09-02-09, 11:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

My wifes uncle bought his two kids a 911 and a supra when they turned 16 and could drive. One was totalled in less than a year and the other had helped one of her cousins lose his license. If I had kids I would get the car with the 100 hp 1.3 liter motor with lots of air bags
Old 09-03-09, 12:06 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's really sad. Are the parents partly to blame by letting their kids have these cars? I know I would never let my kids drive anything nice as their first vehicle.

If they survive, I hope they learn a lesson and have their license suspended.
Old 09-03-09, 12:31 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kids nowadays are very spoiled
Old 09-03-09, 12:48 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If I had kids I would get the car with the 100 hp 1.3 liter motor with lots of air bags
Sounds like a Fit, Aveo, Rio or Accent. Unfortunately, the Fit is Honda's modern-day deathtrap in the spirit of the older Civic/CR-X/Del Sol which will get obliterated when it crosses paths with a much bigger car.
Old 09-03-09, 01:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Some parents spoil their kids...I guess you can get them something nice but at least make sure its slow...like a TSX or something similar.

Why is the Fit considered so dangerous?
Old 09-03-09, 02:04 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ

Why is the Fit considered so dangerous?
IIHS put out a report that smaller cars don't fare well in head-on collisions with bigger cars. They smashed a Fit, Smart for 2 and a Yaris and put them up against the Accord, C-Class and Camry respectively. The Yaris got completely destroyed by the Camry, the Fit had decent structural integrity when it was rammed into the Accord but it was a totally different outcome per the crash dummies. The Smart for 2 didn't fare well at all when it met with the C-Class, it was tossed around like tumbleweed.
Old 09-03-09, 02:46 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a brand new IS350 within my first year of driving. As long as the teenager is responsible I see no problem with it... but I guess some parent's do not raise their children too well.
Old 09-11-09, 04:44 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by metalgear
kids nowadays are very spoiled
i agree, some kids are just too spoiled
and they all want to go fast
Old 09-11-09, 04:51 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by darkdream
I got a brand new IS350 within my first year of driving. As long as the teenager is responsible I see no problem with it... but I guess some parent's do not raise their children too well.
Indeed. Even if I'm 20 and living away from the family household my parents certainly would not have allowed me to buy an IS F if they weren't confident in my responsibility as a driver. Even though I'm paying for it and everything, mommy still has the final say until I get married... then, she said, you can make your own decisions.
Old 09-11-09, 08:07 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

i dunno about you guys but when i first got my license i was too scared to drive fast in fear of being pulled over and getting a beating from my parents
Old 09-11-09, 08:13 PM
dunbar43
Driver

Hope they're okay, but those cars were beautiful. If they turn out to be okay, I'm sure they will be extremely grateful obviously, but kicking themselves for wrecking such amazing cars.
Old 09-11-09, 10:11 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

THis should be sent to every kid to show them that you don't need a 300hp car for your first car.

What happened to old days when first cars used be 4 door tanks or hand me down cars from parents with 200k miles on them.
Old 09-11-09, 10:26 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Sounds like a Fit, Aveo, Rio or Accent. Unfortunately, the Fit is Honda's modern-day deathtrap in the spirit of the older Civic/CR-X/Del Sol which will get obliterated when it crosses paths with a much bigger car.
I don't buy this argument; as "bad" as you say these cars are, they are certainly safer than some of the lousy cars built in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Before tempered glass, my friend's dad (a CHP officer in the early 60s) would occasionally find headless bodies in cars that had crashed. Without seat belts, their head would hit the windshield upon impact, and as the momentum stopped their bodies would snap back and the un-tempered glass would collapse, severing the head.

Don't get me started on the awful drum brakes, poor lighting, lack of restraints, padding, large steering wheels, etc. these cars had.

Regardless of how "safe" a car is, it's difficult to overcome plain old poor judgment.

Quick Reply: Abandoned Airport + 18 yr olds + twin G35s = Hot damn mess