Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Lexus GX to Debut in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09 | 08:25 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.burlappcars.com/2009/09/a...olexus-gx.html

What in the hell is going on in Toyota's design studios? This is horrible.

Why is it that instead of getting the beautiful HPX concept, we are getting this. Come on now Lexus. The HPX would have definitely given the X5, Q5, ML a run for the money in terms of beauty.
Old 09-03-09 | 08:42 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
The GX was the middle child that no one really cared for. The LX had the size and gerth for those rich folks who could afford it to make a statement and say "hey, I'm rich, bad, big, and I'm coming down the road so move aside. I don't care if I'm burning up fuel faster than Obama's healthcare reform..."

The RX is the money maker. Sized just right, "affordable", and fit five with plenty enough storage.

The GX was basically the person that probably would have taken the RX, but needed the third row for people. I'm actually in the GX category. I have three kids and was hoping the new RX would have a "dummy" 3rd row, but it did not, so I just might have to upgrade now.

Hope the GX looks respectable and take out those plastic side panels... ugh...
GX, imho, is one of the most capable and most respectable luxury SUVs on the market out there today. X5, Q7, or whatever don't even come close to the GX when it comes to off roading.
Old 09-03-09 | 10:56 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The LX had the size and gerth for those rich folks who could afford it to make a statement and say "hey, I'm rich, bad, big, and I'm coming down the road so move aside. I don't care if I'm burning up fuel faster than Obama's healthcare reform..."
You are right about the LX470's ability to make a statement. The looks and prestige of the vehicle really blow the GX away...

however there isn't much you can do with the LX that you couldn't do with the GX...GX was faster, towed the same, had three zone climate vs two zone LX, had off-raod enhacements such as downhill/hillstart, same cargo ability as LX minus 2 feet...The LX did have better passenger seat adjustments.

Lastly...the GX was more a Lexus than the LX was...there is no other place in the world where you can find an identical GX but badged as a Toyota... Prado is stilll different enough from the GX....the LX on the other hand is the definition of re-badge...

Lexus has now finally made the LX570 a true Lexus with the current LX model.

Last edited by pagemaster; 09-03-09 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-03-09 | 11:00 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Settle down folks...this will be the interior of the next 4runner
Old 09-04-09 | 06:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GX was the middle child that no one really cared for.

The GX was basically the person that probably would have taken the RX, but needed the third row for people. I'm actually in the GX category. I have three kids and was hoping the new RX would have a "dummy" 3rd row, but it did not, so I just might have to upgrade now.

Hope the GX looks respectable and take out those plastic side panels... ugh...
To be fair, in terms of sales goals, the GX has actually been a huge success for Lexus. Initially their sales goals were around the 12,000K a year mark (I think) and the car sold 2-3 times that for the first few years of it's life cycle. The GX was getting long in the tooth at the same time that the economy went down hill so sales have really tapered off now but it was a success for them earlier in the game.

The GX also has somewhat of a niche market these days. With every new ute being unibody or car based, the BOF GX has a unique and loyal buyer. A year or so ago, when commenting on the new GX to the press, one of the Lexus execs said that over half of GX owners use their cars for mild to moderate off roading, towing, and other "heavy duty" needs. You can't do any of that with an X5, RX, etc. like you can in a GX so they do have a certain part of the market nailed down. I think it's closest competitor would be the LR4.

And...for me personally...I love the look of the GX inside and out. It is one of my favorite Lexus vehicles ever. The exterior is macho and rugged yet still classy and conservative. The interior is a bit quirky but extremely high quality, luxurious, and user friendly. I think the GX is one of those cars you have to live with to truly appreciate and understand, and once you do...you're hooked.
Old 09-04-09 | 11:16 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All I know is, I don't see many GX around where I live (NJ/NY) area, so not sure where they were bought out of. I see easily double the number of LX to GX (I'm talking about 10 to 5), and of course a boat load of RXs.

As for ability, oh yeah, based on the 4-Runner, the GX was most capable of off-roading, hauling and all that, but how many GX have even seen grass, much less a dirt road? The only "rocks" that most GX climb are accidentally going up the curb while parallel parking.

As for the "Toyota Proda/GX" picture, I really doubt that will be anywhere close to what the GX will look like, and the tire on the hatch ala RAV4 will never carry over... and if this somehow is the new GX... turd bomb away...
Old 09-04-09 | 10:00 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GX looks way too tall and narrow for my taste (b/c it was a taller 4Runner to add the 3rd row). Hope the newer model doesn't look so tall and narrow, looks like it's going to tip over.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Lexus GX to Debut in Shanghai-lexus-gx-470.jpeg  

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 09-04-09 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-05-09 | 12:48 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Im going to the state fair to see the new 4runner.
Old 09-05-09 | 01:38 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought the GX when it debute in its current form was suppose to replace the LX, but since it sold well, they decided to keep both. not sure if thats true, but that what i remember learning through lexus history

the 2010 Prado which should look like the GX. Notice that it has the HID (unless lexus of US doesnt allow for HIDs again) bulb on the inside nearer to the grill like the latest RX with the auto high beam assist

Last edited by RXSF; 09-05-09 at 01:44 AM.