Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More Audi Arrogance: Audi President "Volt is car for idiots"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 04:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Seems like hes insecure and frustrated that noone in USA wants his diesels so his taking his frustration out on the volt.
Did you ever think for a moment that he is right about the volt. Think about it, its a $40000 plug in car with a small gas engine. What about the people who have to park on the street at night, do they run an extension cord 2 blocks down the street to their car
Old 09-03-09, 04:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Did you ever think for a moment that he is right about the volt. Think about it, its a $40000 plug in car with a small gas engine. What about the people who have to park on the street at night, do they run an extension cord 2 blocks down the street to their car
Oh, hes absolutely right, but the way he presents his point is too arrogant.
Old 09-03-09, 05:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dismissing others' new vehicle tech, seems to be a familiar tune...whether it's Carlos Ghosn ridiculing hybrids, then turning around, licensing HSD and finally developing their own, and Audi now against.the Volt and hybrids, it sounds to me to be competitive bluster and puffery. That said, I do think the reported $40,000 price tag of the Volt will prevent it from being the next Prius.
Old 09-03-09, 05:24 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a reply to anyone in particular, just adding my $0.02.
I disagree with the form in which the comments were made (i.e., the idiot remark), but there is some substance to the comments: hybrid technology is surrounded by a lot of hype and is too expensive at the moment to be mass-produced and the batteries are not energy-dense enough to allow longer commutes on battery power. Mass production should make price less, but the issue of range on electric still remains, as does the battery replacement in the future, which in my mind would still rule hybrids out as a mainstream vehicle. It takes a lot of saved gas (as a result of being more efficient) to make up the difference in price between a comparable ICE vehicle.

Diesels are available now, but they also have several problems. They are more expensive than gas engines and they do not look like they will pass future emission regulations. Plus, we have a production problem in US which limits supply. I think that the short-term answer is HCCI engines which are expected to introduce advantages of diesels to gasoline engines for a smaller premium than diesels.

Long-term technology winner is anyone's guess, but it has to have a decent range and infrastructure to refill / recharge to be mass-adopted.
Old 09-03-09, 05:26 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 258 Likes on 204 Posts

The future is the Diesel? Yeah, right. I participated in the last "Dieselmania" in the late 1970s when I purchased a new, pathetic Mercedes Diesel sedan. I ain't going there again - ever. I'll walk or ride a bicycle first.

As former Dufus-in-Chief George W. Bush famously and humorously said: "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."
Old 09-03-09, 06:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kansas
The future is the Diesel? Yeah, right. I participated in the last "Dieselmania" in the late 1970s when I purchased a new, pathetic Mercedes Diesel sedan. I ain't going there again - ever. I'll walk or ride a bicycle first.

As former Dufus-in-Chief George W. Bush famously and humorously said: "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."
LOL well the new diesels are much better driveabilith wise than old diesels, but still nowhere near as good as petrol. The new diesels are also very expensive and only get marginally better fuel economy than petrol.
Old 09-03-09, 06:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

40k for the Volt?????? I think the buyers are probably idiots as well. I would get a prius ,or dare I say, the ford fusion hybrid.

I am blown away that they thin they will get 40k for a car from GM that is unproven and a bit ugly

The cost of the cars still dont merit the increased price of hybrids. I am not driving any car for 10-12 years to get the full benefit. I am a petrol freak
Old 09-03-09, 06:40 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
The new diesels are also very expensive and only get marginally better fuel economy than petrol.
Old 09-03-09, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Prius is substantially bigger and better built than the Yaris with standard and optional tech teh Yaris doesn't have. It also gets 20 MPG better than the Yaris.
I agree, to an extent, with the 2Gen Prius, but not the new 2010 3Gen model. Though Prius MPG has gone up with the new model, as has the sophistication of the hybrid drivetrain, general build quality and materials have clearly dropped.

So there isn't a diesel here that gets 50 MPG city/Highway. So then how is it better?
There are plenty of them......the problem is that we just don't get them in America. The closest thing, right now, in the American market, is the VW Jetta TDI, and that doesn't quite give 50 MPG (officially), though it might be attainable by individual drivers.

People buy hybrids again MORE than just for MPG. People continue to miss the much lower emissions they produce. They are quieter as well and some people LIKE the new technology.
Hybrids DO produce lower emissions than diesels, but are not necessarily any quieter (except, of course, at engine-stop-idle or in the all-electric mode). Today's diesels are amazingly quiet and refined...so much so that people don't truly realize it until they test-drive them.

I like diesels, they are great and its a shame we don't get more diesels here.
I totally agree. You can blame a lot of that on the unwillingness of the American public to to open their eyes (and ears) to the latest automotive diesels. Their minds are still in the 70s and 80s.

(of course, I confess to a little of this myself.....I still like the soft ride, plush seats, and noise isolation of decades-old American luxury cars)
Old 09-03-09, 07:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
Im talking specifically about the new diesels that are legal in all 50 states, such as Bluetec.
Old 09-03-09, 07:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Mmarshall, correct me if I'm wrong, but regular diesels in passenger cars are not allowed on sale in five states?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree, to an extent, with the 2Gen Prius, but not the new 2010 3Gen model. Though Prius MPG has gone up with the new model, as has the sophistication of the hybrid drivetrain, general build quality and materials have clearly dropped.

There are plenty of them......the problem is that we just don't get them in America. The closest thing, right now, in the American market, is the VW Jetta TDI, and that doesn't quite give 50 MPG (officially), though it might be attainable by individual drivers.

Hybrids DO produce lower emissions than diesels, but are not necessarily any quieter (except, of course, at engine-stop-idle or in the all-electric mode). Today's diesels are amazingly quiet and refined...so much so that people don't truly realize it until they test-drive them.

I totally agree. You can blame a lot of that on the unwillingness of the American public to to open their eyes (and ears) to the latest automotive diesels. Their minds are still in the 70s and 80s.

(of course, I confess to a little of this myself.....I still like the soft ride, plush seats, and noise isolation of decades-old American luxury cars)
Old 09-03-09, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Mmarshall, correct me if I'm wrong, but regular diesels in passenger cars are not allowed on sale in five states?
Older-generation diesels were off-limits in CA and a few Northeastern states, even though their CO and NOX emissions were low, because of their high solid-particle emissions (in other words, black soot). That solid-particle-emission problem has been cleared up with the latest Bluetec/TDI/Common-rail diesels, low-sulfur diesel fuel, and urea-injections, and, I believe, they are now on sale in all 50 states.
Old 09-03-09, 08:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
40k for the Volt?????? I think the buyers are probably idiots as well. I would get a prius ,or dare I say, the ford fusion hybrid.

I am blown away that they thin they will get 40k for a car from GM that is unproven and a bit ugly
remember the GOVERNMENT is part owner of GM although i'm unclear on GM's obligations to pay back ANY of the tens of billions the blew of OUR money. but anyway, since the GOVERNMENT has an INTEREST in the success of the Volt, they can make policy that gives incentives to buy a volt specifically HARMING other car makers not to mention destroying wealth for the sake of a nebulous social agenda.

The cost of the cars still dont merit the increased price of hybrids. I am not driving any car for 10-12 years to get the full benefit. I am a petrol freak
policies can make it very expensive for you to continue to be a freak, like they do in europe.
Old 09-03-09, 08:56 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Audi president probably went about saying it the wrong way, but I think he's pretty spot on about the Volt.

You can get a fully loaded Gen 3 Prius V for LESS than you can get a Volt even AFTER the supposed $7,500 tax credit. GM is crazy if they think the average person is going to spend over $32k for a car like this. This isn't even considering the fact there's competing electric cars in development by other companies that will cost less.

The Volt, even with its lofty fuel economy expectations, is just priced out of the range of the average car buyer, and this is going to bite GM in the ***.
Old 09-03-09, 09:22 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
LOL well the new diesels are much better driveabilith wise than old diesels, but still nowhere near as good as petrol. The new diesels are also very expensive and only get marginally better fuel economy than petrol.
Huh?

Our ML Bluetec gets a full 5 miles per gallon better mileage than our previous RX 330. Not knocking the RX...we loved ours...but the engine is much stronger in the ML and 5 mpg isn't marginal. Top it off with premium diesel being an average of 25 cents per liter (a whopping $1 per gallon) than premium petrol and it is not even close.

Too many dated perceptions of what new clean diesels are all about.

Quick Reply: More Audi Arrogance: Audi President "Volt is car for idiots"