Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More Audi Arrogance: Audi President "Volt is car for idiots"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 06:02 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
That is exactly my point and the Audi CEO is right. The volt is limited to people to have garages to charge at night.
I see people around here who run extension cords out to their cars in town home parking lots or even street parking for engine block heaters or to charge the bat. on a wheel chair van. What's to stop them from getting a Volt and doing this?
Old 09-08-09, 06:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I see people around here who run extension cords out to their cars. What's to stop them from getting a Volt and doing this?
I dont know, maybe common sense Why plug in a car if you dont have to.
Old 09-08-09, 09:07 AM
LexFather

I dont know, maybe common sense Why plug in a car if you dont have to.
Common sense is not to common, see my "Discuss" thread

Old 09-08-09, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Why plug in a car if you dont have to.
Automakers are working in conjunction with power companies to develop special high-speed chargers that will give complete battery charges in as little as 20 minutes.....and installed in many public places of buisness. That will allow you, for example, to park at a restaurant, go in and eat, come back out, and have the battery all up to snuff. What and how they are going to charge for the electric use (no pun intended) has yet to be worked out.
Old 09-08-09, 10:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Automakers are working in conjunction with power companies to develop special high-speed chargers that will give complete battery charges in as little as 20 minutes.....and installed in many public places of buisness. That will allow you, for example, to park at a restaurant, go in and eat, come back out, and have the battery all up to snuff. What and how they are going to charge for the electric use (no pun intended) has yet to be worked out.
Infra-structure such as the one you have mentioned are pretty far off. Almost as far off as the Hydrogen car and filling station's infra-structures.
Old 09-08-09, 10:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Infra-structure such as the one you have mentioned are pretty far off. Almost as far off as the Hydrogen car and filling station's infra-structures.
Charging stations already exist at Shell stations & others in California.. More to come..

The Volt is a nice concept. I personally like an audible motor & exhaust system.. I would literally fall asleep driving at night in an electric car.
Old 09-08-09, 10:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Charging stations already exist at Shell stations & others in California.. More to come..

The Volt is a nice concept. I personally like an audible motor & exhaust system.. I would literally fall asleep driving at night in an electric car.
Are you suppose to wait for 30 mins at a gas station while your EV is being charged ?
Old 09-08-09, 10:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you suppose to wait for 30 mins at a gas station while your EV is being charged ?
Good point. Unless I am in an EV vehicle with a fine woman, the 30 minutes will go by quickly In due time, the charging process will take less time..
Old 09-08-09, 10:58 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 815 Likes on 569 Posts

Maybe they'll make charging lounges instead of gas stations
Old 09-08-09, 11:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

In today's time is money metality, who has the time to sit at a gas station for hours waiting for a full charge. The Volt and the Tesla, which still require 3-4 hours for a full charge. The technology is simply not ready for prime time yet. There are many un-answer issues.
Old 09-09-09, 06:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

One other thing about diesel. Diesel fuel itself contains about 20% more energy than gasoline. It also weights about 20% more than gasoline. And of course it seems that a good diesel gets 20% better economy than its gasoline sibling.

But it seems that it also takes more oil to produce a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gasoline. So while you might be using up less fuel in your car, but it in the end still the same amount of crude oil has been used.

The bottom line is that theres only so much energy is stored in a barrel of crude... it can be measured in BTU's, watts, horsepowers, whichever system you want to use. It of course varies depending on the quality of the crude, and the goal is to extract as much energy out of it as possible, and to use it as efficiently as you can. And it seems to like diesel and gasoline engines are roughly the same efficiency wise. You put 20% more BTU's in the fuel tank of your TDI and you get 20% more miles out of it. Even game.
Old 09-09-09, 06:34 PM
LexFather

Maybe read up for a change instead of just hating on EVs......the generation now can charge as quick as 15 min with an 80% charge...

They may not replace the petrol car but for some people that don't drive a great deal, it can make sense.

Old 09-09-09, 08:47 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if the electric may not make a whole lot of sense, it is a the start of a new technology. Whether you can or can't afford it is not really the point. You just have to agree that electric power is the future and understand you're going to pay the price to be an early adopter.

Given time, most new technology will improve and go down in price. Look at the price of digital cameras, computers, LCD TV's. The first iPod had 5 GB and cost $400. People thought it was ridiculous to spend that kind of money for something that works like a WalkMan. Fast forward 8 years and see how far we've come......

You'll probably be able to buy a Volt for $18,000 in 15-20 years.
Old 09-10-09, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If I can buy a EV for $18000 and it can charge in less than 5 mins and go at least 200 miles, then we might have something worth marketing.
Old 09-10-09, 06:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
That might explain it. The Prius is a subcompact because you guys can barely fit in it

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Prius is substantially bigger and better built than the Yaris with standard and optional tech teh Yaris doesn't have. It also gets 20 MPG better than the Yaris.
So there isn't a diesel here that gets 50 MPG city/Highway. So then how is it better?
People buy hybrids again MORE than just for MPG. People continue to miss the much lower emissions they produce. They are quieter as well and some people LIKE the new technology.
$65,000 335d that gets 27 MPG average. Nearly twice the price. Not a fun game is it.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...EIyW2HhA29cts=

I like diesels, they are great and its a shame we don't get more diesels here. Prius> any diesel here in regards to MPG. Period.
Nice post

Last edited by bagwell; 09-10-09 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: More Audi Arrogance: Audi President "Volt is car for idiots"