Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More Audi Arrogance: Audi President "Volt is car for idiots"

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 08:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bagwell

Nice post
Thanks...

Old 09-10-09, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
In today's time is money metality, who has the time to sit at a gas station for hours waiting for a full charge. The Volt and the Tesla, which still require 3-4 hours for a full charge. The technology is simply not ready for prime time yet. There are many un-answer issues.
As I mentioned previously, automakers and electric companies are working on special high-capacity chargers that will soon drastically shorten full-charge times.....down to as low as 20 minutes. This technology is not as far away as you think. The chargers will, of course, vary by timee and capacity.....the quickest ones will probably be the ones most expensive to use.

Like you said......time is money.
Old 09-10-09, 11:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

20 minutes is still a long time if you are in a rush, not to mention the high cost of these chargers. Unless the government plan to put charger on the street, EV will never be a mainstream technology.
Old 09-10-09, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

20 minutes is still a long time if you are in a rush, not to mention the high cost of these chargers. Unless the government plan to put charger on the street, EV will never be a mainstream technology.
sure. but stick 'em at every starbucks, get a coffee, get a charge.
Old 09-10-09, 08:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

20 minutes for a charge?

Back in the 1970's, we sometimes waited a LOT longer than that (trust me......I'm not kidding), for simple gasoline at a conventional gas station. And, even then, you often couldn't completely fill up, because of oil shortages and station-induced rationing. Worse, you had to stay with your car to keep your place in line.....you couldn't duck into a restaurant or coffee shop while waiting, like bitkahuna was mentioning above.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-10-09 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-11-09, 05:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
20 minutes for a charge?

Back in the 1970's, we sometimes waited a LOT longer than that (trust me......I'm not kidding), for simple gasoline at a conventional gas station. And, even then, you often couldn't completely fill up, because of oil shortages and station-induced rationing. Worse, you had to stay with your car to keep your place in line.....you couldn't duck into a restaurant or coffee shop while waiting, like bitkahuna was mentioning above.
I was there in the 70's gas shortage, thats a once a life time event, hopefully that will never happen again. The US have learn not to **** of the Arabs