Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More Audi Arrogance: Audi President "Volt is car for idiots"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 08:53 AM
LexFather

Post More Audi Arrogance: Audi President "Volt is car for idiots"

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...x?post=1247701

I am assuming he is taking from experience seeing as the A3 is a great car but no one wants to pay 30-40k for it here. I used to really like Audi but between the Ads, comments like this and the new owner attitude, I might have to pass...

Audi President Has Verbal Jolt for Volt
Predicts the Chevy hybrid will fall flat with consumers
Posted by Lawrence Ulrich on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:07 AM
I’ve come to know Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen as a passionate advocate of fuel-sipping diesel engines. That passion was on full display when I sat with de Nysschen at a media dinner in Carneros, Calif. (after test drives of three new Audi models), during which he sharply criticized electric vehicles -- including GM’s Chevy Volt.

He dismissed GM’s upcoming plug-in hybrid as “a car for idiots,” saying that few consumers will be willing to pay $40,000 -- the Volt’s estimated base price -- for a car that competes against $25,000 sedans and conventional hybrids. Nor, he noted, is the Volt a luxury car whose green-technology costs will be excused because it also delivers prestige or performance.

“No one is going to pay a $15,000 premium for a car that competes with a (Toyota) Corolla,” he said. “So there are not enough idiots who will buy it.”

He did add that plug-in hybrids are good in concept and hold advantages over diesels in stop-and-go driving. But for the moment, de Nysschen noted, electric vehicles (EVs) are more about making a statement.

“They’re for the intellectual elite who want to show what enlightened souls they are,” he said.

De Nysschen expressed frustration with regulators and policymakers, saying the public has been hoodwinked into believing that EVs are the only answer to global warming. The U.S. government, he said, is pouring billions of dollars into EV technology, yet diesel technology could deliver a more immediate and dramatic decrease in global-warming emissions. And the man knows of what he speaks: Modern diesels already power half of Audi’s cars in Europe and have helped Audi dominate recent runnings of the 24 Hours of LeMans. Diesels have been shown to emit 25 percent less carbon dioxide than gasoline engines, while using 25 to 35 percent less fuel.

Mass electrification of cars, he argued, would result in a net increase in carbon dioxide emissions, because so much of America’s electrical grid relies on dirty coal for its energy. Cleaning up the nation’s power grid is the real priority, he said, and only then can EVs make environmental sense.

The Audi of America president ended with a bold prediction: The Volt will fall flat. And the federal government, having publicly forced GM to develop electric cars, will subsidize the Volt to save face and boost sales.

Whether that comes to pass or not, expect de Nysschen to continue to lobby Washington to ensure that diesels get their fair share of federal support.

(Photo: Johan de Nysschen; courtesy of Audi)

Old 09-03-09, 09:14 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting read. This guy is really shooting himself in the foot if he is trying to win people over on diesel. Sure there are a lot of politicians who are behind the Volt and he may disagree, but to call people idiots is a bit irresponsible of the president of a company.

If he's such a believer in diesels, he needs to bring over more models than just the Jetta and Toureg. Put your money where your mouth is buddy.
Old 09-03-09, 09:22 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have to agree with him that the car is severely overpriced compared to conventional hybrids and clean diesel vehicles. I think that the way of vehicularizing his thoughts, however, is severely out of touch.

I will also have to agree that electric cars make no environmental sense... most power plants in the U.S. still burn coal and oil to make energy. I personally think that the electric car fad will fade away like the E-85 one, when it was discovered that the production of ethanol equalled or surpassed carbon dioxide emissions produced by cars alone. Until the U.S. and, really, the world has turned towards 'greener' ways of making energy such as wind mills, solar plants, tidal plants, and heck even nuclear power plants (the nuclear is a virtually untapped source of power), electric cars will not be envrionmentally feasible.
Old 09-03-09, 09:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bruce van
Interesting read. This guy is really shooting himself in the foot if he is trying to win people over on diesel. Sure there are a lot of politicians who are behind the Volt and he may disagree, but to call people idiots is a bit irresponsible of the president of a company.

If he's such a believer in diesels, he needs to bring over more models than just the Jetta and Toureg. Put your money where your mouth is buddy.
Hehe agreed
Old 09-03-09, 09:32 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Technology is expensive when new.

Remember when the iPhone was $600 new?

To create groundbreaking technology, you have to start with something limited and (quite frankly) experimental. When it becomes more mainstream, the technology advances, prices go down, and demand goes up.

And the demand peak for electric vehicles will far surpass the demand peak of diesels (well, the peak of diesel demand peaked decades ago... ).
Old 09-03-09, 09:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I will have to agree with him that the car is severely overpriced compared to conventional hybrids and clean diesel vehicles. I think that the way of vehicularizing his thoughts, however, is severely out of touch.

I will also have to agree that electric cars make no environmental sense... most power plants in the U.S. still burn coal and oil to make energy. I personally think that the electric car fad will fade away like the E-85 one, when it was discovered that the production of ethanol equalled or surpassed carbon dioxide emissions produced by cars alone. Until the U.S. and, really, the world has turned towards 'greener' ways of making energy such as wind mills, solar plants, tidal plants, and heck even nuclear power plants (the nuclear is a virtually untapped source of power), electric cars will not be envrionmentally feasible.
Yeah but its not a 1 to 1 ratio. Even using electricity to charge it, its still more environmentally friendly.

The bottom line is Audi does have a huge vested interest in diesels but AMERICANS DO NOT WANT THEM. So he is bashing GM for the Volt b/c Audi either cannot figure out or are not trying to figure out alternative methods.

Diesel is oil derived for goodness sakes lol

Old 09-03-09, 09:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wonderful how the Audi president has it all figured out...
Old 09-03-09, 09:52 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah but its not a 1 to 1 ratio. Even using electricity to charge it, its still more environmentally friendly.
I have to agree that it's a bit more envrionmentally friendly but honestly... it's a bit like recycling. It's no real good unless a vast majority does it.
Old 09-03-09, 10:00 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I have to agree that it's a bit more envrionmentally friendly but honestly... it's a bit like recycling. It's no real good unless a vast majority does it.
The Volt is a start. Hey I do agree at 40k its not going to sell unless it has tax credits but its a start. Hopefully the price comes down (to Phil's point).

Old 09-03-09, 10:08 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Do people not understand the economics of new technology? Surprised that the president of Audi wouldn't get this simple concept.

Corolla competitor?

Let's face it, if not for a $40K price tag, the Volt wouldn't be coming at all and therefore no new technological leap in the auto industry.
Old 09-03-09, 11:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Technology is expensive when new.
To create groundbreaking technology, you have to start with something limited and (quite frankly) experimental. When it becomes more mainstream, the technology advances, prices go down, and demand goes up.
Originally Posted by YARIS!
Do people not understand the economics of new technology? Surprised that the president of Audi wouldn't get this simple concept.
it doesn't ALWAYS go that way. solar energy cells have been around a LONG time, but are still INSANELY expensive despite a LOT of adoption.

Let's face it, if not for a $40K price tag, the Volt wouldn't be coming at all and therefore no new technological leap in the auto industry.
what makes me puke is since GM is part government run/owned GM can in theory GIVE AWAY a Volt to make it 'sell' and stiff everyone, including competing manufacturers with the bill.

the volt is innovative and interesting, but a) it's still not here, and b) it will be a NICHE vehicle, really ONLY of use to city commuters who will still need ANOTHER car if they want to go any longer distance without stopping overnight to recharge.

you'll see celebs and yuppie city dwellers driving them, and that's about it.
Old 09-03-09, 11:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Electric cars are like ethanol, it’s a great idea until too much people have it and drive up demand, then other areas such as corn crop or power plants is affected.
Is it possible that the word idiot is lost in translation, maybe he just meant dumb
Anyways, he just might be right. Americans drives a lot of highways, Hybrid and electric cars are not efficient on the highway. Diesels are far more efficient on the highway and the diesel engine components are more heavy duty. Yet us idiot American still drives expensive hybrids and electric cars because of status symbol, maybe its that green badge on the car they want to seen in. God forbid if we are seen driving a diesel, since diesel is a dirty word. Sometime I wonder if all these earthy crunchy green car owners do actually care about the environment or they just want to project that image.
Old 09-03-09, 11:12 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Electric cars are like ethanol, it’s a great idea until too much people have it and drive up demand, then other areas such as corn crop or power plants is affected.
Is it possible that the word idiot is lost in translation, maybe he just meant dumb
Anyways, he just might be right. Americans drives a lot of highways, Hybrid and electric cars are not efficient on the highway. Diesels are far more efficient on the highway and the diesel engine components are more heavy duty. Yet us idiot American still drives expensive hybrids and electric cars because of status symbol, maybe its that green badge on the car they want to seen in. God forbid if we are seen driving a diesel, since diesel is a dirty word. Sometime I wonder if all these earthy crunchy green car owners do actually care about the environment or they just want to project that image.
Good point.

There is zero advantage to a hybrid vehicle if you do more highway miles than city. There are advantages to both technologies, but the Audi execs comment was uneccessary. Today's clean diesels are still trying to get past the old stigma of diesel being a dirty technology.
Old 09-03-09, 11:16 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the volt is innovative and interesting, but a) it's still not here, and b) it will be a NICHE vehicle, really ONLY of use to city commuters who will still need ANOTHER car if they want to go any longer distance without stopping overnight to recharge.

you'll see celebs and yuppie city dwellers driving them, and that's about it.
The Volt will have a range of 300 miles on a single tank of fuel without any need to stop and recharge. I believe you can keep going beyond that if you keep filling up with gas. That seems suitable for just about anyone.

Seems as though perception still puts the Volt at a 40 mile limit as if it is just a pure electric. Fact is, you can drive all day long.
Old 09-03-09, 11:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
Do you have statistical evidence of highway/city miles/ You are also forgetting the much lower emissions SULEVII compliance hybrids make and nothing else does.

Also outside the Prius/Insight, hybrids look like normal cars. Escape, Camry, Altima, LS, GS, RX, Milan, Fusian etc etc. So again, the CEO is WRONG.

The CEO and any madness toward hybrid owners is misplaced especially since in my experience, most don't crap on diesels. They just feel hybrids are better.

Its up to AUDI and anyone else to convince and make diesels better if they feel it is indeed better. I can appreciate the new advertising somewhat by BMW and VW.

But then VW has the dumbass add poking fun at the Prius. Insecurity?

Quick Reply: More Audi Arrogance: Audi President "Volt is car for idiots"