Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cops, lawmakers send message: Dnt txt & drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 10:06 AM
LexFather

Post Cops, lawmakers send message: Dnt txt & drive

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32584570...h_and_gadgets/

New research suggests that texting while driving increases the risk of a crash

Nicholas Sparks didn’t plan to go swimming on a recent Wednesday morning. But sheriff’s deputies in Niagara County, N.Y., say Sparks found himself — and his tow truck — in a backyard pool July 29 after he rear-ended a car and screeched off the road at high speed.

Sparks, 25, of Burt, N.Y., is charged with reckless driving, talking on a cell phone and following too closely in the incident, which left the 68-year-old woman whose car he allegedly hit briefly hospitalized with head injuries and slightly injured his 8-year-old grandniece, who was with him in the truck.

As it happens, deputies say, Sparks was using two cell phones at the same time — talking on one and sending text messages on the other. But he faces charges only for talking, because while it’s illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving in New York, it won’t explicitly be illegal to send text messages on one until Nov. 1, when a law passed last week takes effect.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Numerous localities have text-driving bans, some limited to novice drivers or vehicles passing through school zones. But the practice is prohibited statewide in only 10 states and the District of Columbia, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association, an organization of state highway officials that endorsed nationwide prohibitions this week.

Momentum is gathering to stamp out the practice, however. By January, New York and eight other states will have joined the list when laws awaiting enactment go into effect.

Utah’s legislature has taken one of the toughest stances, passing a law that imposes a penalty of up to 15 years in prison on texting drivers who cause an accident that kills someone.

Risk research only now emerging
It might seem obvious that using a cell phone would be a distraction for a driver, but only recently has a large body of research emerged to demonstrate it. There is even less research examining the specific risk of typing out text messages.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration concluded that in 2002 that a quarter-million accidents and 955 deaths could be attributed to drivers’ use of cell phones, either texting or talking. That research was finally obtained by safety activists last month under the Freedom of Information Act — after it had sat on the shelf for years, The New York Times reported, because of concerns that publishing it might appear to be an act of political lobbying.

Video

Dangers of text-driving
July 28: TODAY host Meredith Vieira talks with Weida Stoecker of White Hall, Md., whose husband was killed in 2007 by a teenage driver who was texting.

It was not until last month that the first large-scale research on “driving while intexticated” — sending text messages while behind the wheel — appeared.

That study, by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, concluded that the risk of an accident was four times greater for a driver typing out a text message than for a driver dialing a cell phone — and more than 23 times greater than for a driver who wasn’t distracted by a phone at all.

Old 09-03-09, 10:23 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I would be rich if they allow citizens arrest. Take a photo of them, their plate number, and send it in the mail.
A week later, I get a check, better than the gold thing
Old 09-03-09, 11:13 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Easily the worst driving I have ever done is while trying to dial a cell phone, I can't imagine texting while driving. I drive can drive much better with 2 or 3 beers in me, although I no longer do.
Old 09-03-09, 12:27 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn driving, talking on the phone AND texting on another phone??

thats pretty dumb
Old 09-03-09, 12:33 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I would be rich if they allow citizens arrest. Take a photo of them, their plate number, and send it in the mail.
A week later, I get a check, better than the gold thing
But technically if you have the time to take a picture of them, your also in the wrong...
Old 09-03-09, 12:41 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Texting and driving should be banned everywhere. I know plenty of people, mostly female to be honest, who frequently text and drive. And then you tell them to stop doing this and you get the message back saying, "ok." Message not sunk in.
Old 09-03-09, 12:46 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did they honestly have to sink money into research for this? Shows how bright they are, anyone can tell, anything that distracts a driver off the road automatically leads to a higher risk of accidents. I constantly have to harass my friend when riding with him, because he's just the little princess who loves to text.....
Old 09-03-09, 12:46 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

glad i got bluetooth in my car i dont see the reason why people would txt while driving when its much riskier than talking on the phone
Old 09-03-09, 02:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is much spirited debate about talking while driving, and I'm sure that the cell companies are funding opposition. But states should just start off with legislation banning texting--no one in their right mind can argue with a straight face that it isn't dangerous. Get the anti-texting laws on the books, then go back and try to fight to get the anti-talking laws passed.
Old 09-03-09, 03:45 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan0690
But technically if you have the time to take a picture of them, your also in the wrong...
Shhhhh, one law at a time. Do they have a hands-free camera yet???
Old 09-03-09, 03:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

It's very common down here. I either see someone texting or talking on the phone (not hands free).
Old 09-03-09, 06:17 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

why is this such a big deal you dont have to keep posting articles that all say dont txt and drive... i like talking while i drive because im stuck in traffic for pretty much my whole commute.
Old 09-03-09, 06:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

the auto manufactueres will need to develop something that can allow text communication via voice recorder and transcriber. If they made blue tooth happen this shouldn't be to far away
Old 09-03-09, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
You may have to give your name and address, and, while you may win in the short run, trust me, the last thing you want to do is to make more enemies. You don't know what kind of retaliation they could take on you.....or your family. Police and prosecutors are paid to take those kind of risks. You aren't.
Old 09-03-09, 06:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

stupid texters.

now i have to drive defensively.

it raises my stress level.

i'm going to beat up a texter one of these days.

Quick Reply: Cops, lawmakers send message: Dnt txt & drive