Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Steering wheel vs. colum mounted paddle-shifters

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 02:10 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel vs. colum mounted paddle-shifters

Two of the three major French-Canadian auto guides for the 2010 model year are already out here in Montreal, so I picked them up at Costco yesterday evening and read through them throughout the night and all day at work today. As I was reading the Nissan GT-R review, I couldn't help but notice one striking nuance between the two articles from the two different publishers: one praised the à-la Lamborghini column mounted paddle-shifters whilst the other condoned them. It seems that the opinions expressed on this subject are very different; I personally think it depends on the person who's driving the car.

Personally, I prefer the column-mounted ones because you always know exactly where your paddle-shifters are and it's much easier to select a gear whilst cornering. The steering wheel mounted ones are often upside down when cornering, which could result in an accidental upshift instead of a downshift, and vice-versa.

So I was wondering what you guys thought on the subject? Which one do you prefer and why? What are the disadvantages and advantages to both, for you, as a driver?
Old 09-05-09, 06:37 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer steering wheel mounted because I usually keep my hands at the 9 and 3 position on the wheel. Even when my hands are upside down it feels more right because I know left hand to downshift, right hand to upshift.
Old 09-05-09, 06:40 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I think the majority of the public (including myself) and auto journalists prefer to have column mounted shifters. As you said, you know exactly where they are at any given moment so there is no confusing (although you rarely have to turn the wheel a full 180 on the track).

I especially prefer the ones that are extra long so you can hit them while turning.

Last edited by RXSF; 09-05-09 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-05-09, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That is why many cars with paddle-shifters have a manual (+) and (-) bump-shift gate with the lever on the console. The console, obviously, will always be in the same place no matter what position the steering wheel (and shift paddles) are in.

As far as the actual paddle-shifting goes, I'm not sure that the column-mounted-paddle idea is any better than the steering-wheel-mounted one. It is true that wheel-mounted paddles rotate with the wheel, and are sometimes upside down or backwards, but, since the column mounted ones don't rotate at all, the steering wheel could end up blocking them under some conditions.

Given the choice (and I base some of this opinion on my experience with the controls and columns I once used when flying airplanes), I'd probably rather have the wheel-mounted paddles. No matter what position the wheel is in, even if upside-down or sharply angled, if the paddle you want is next to a certain spoke (or your right/left hand) when the wheel is centered, it will also be right there when the wheel rotates.....that will not change. And it will probably not be hidden by the wheel either. That may (?) not be the case with column-mounted paddles......and you may have to take your hand off the wheel, as, of course, you will have to do with the bump-shift lever on the console.

Another interesting question is which way the bump-shift lever on the console should operate. Except for the Chrysler/Mercedes AutoStick, which, in manual mode, moves sideways (left and right), most manual shift gates are fore/aft with (+) towards the front and (-) towards the back, except for Mazdas and BMWs which do it backwards with (-) towards the front and (+) towards the rear. I don't like the Mazda/BMW system, because most cars are the opposite (which I've gotten used to) and, when driving a Mazda or BMW, I have to be careful not to downshift when I mean to upshift....that can overspeed the engine and cause a jolt.
Old 09-05-09, 08:18 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Around here the general conscensus is that Mazda has the shift-gate operated manual shifting done right in that the forward motion is often times associated with the natural reflex of braking, thus going down a gear.
Old 09-06-09, 02:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as there are paddle shifters, it doesn't matter for me.

For most other people though, as long as you (-) and (+) then that's all that matters hehe

Old 09-06-09, 02:50 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm surprised anyone prefers wheel-mounted shifters. This is one of my complaints about the F. Even Mitusbishi gets it right on the much cheaper Evo.
Old 09-06-09, 02:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
I'm surprised anyone prefers wheel-mounted shifters. This is one of my complaints about the F. Even Mitusbishi gets it right on the much cheaper Evo.
Many people prefer the wheel-mounted design because it is easier to deal with if you keep your hands on the wheel while cornering. The paddles will always be at the same position relative to your left/right hands.
Old 09-06-09, 03:01 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To me, mounting the paddle shifters on the wheel makes more sense, simply because they will be at my fingertips MOST of the time. I don't expect to be slamming gear changes at an apex with half a lock dialed into the wheel. That's the way to finding yourself driving through your rear-view mirror.

Most drivers downshift while braking on the approach to the corner, then easing on the power as you come off the brakes at the apex with a touch of opposite lock. As the g-forces unload on the exit, you put the loud pedal down hard and not upshift until the rear end is firmly planted and the contact patches equally engaged.

If you are shifting under heavy g-forces unloading the inside wheel, all that power is going up in wheelspin and a likely off-course excursion.
Old 09-06-09, 05:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Paddle shifters are derived from open wheel race cars, however, since race cars have a MUCH smaller lock to lock ratio, it is a non issue when they are mounted on the steering itself. The column shifters where put in place on touring/rally cars, which are derived form street cars, so technically, the column is the "proper" place to mount them. Lil4x makes an excellent point however, that one shouldn't be flipping off gears mid apex (I guess unless you are trying to drift?) , so the fact that they are mounted on the steering ought to be a non issue (most "regular" cars have a stick on the console anyway, if needed), for regular driving. It would come down to preference, but IMO the column is the better place to have them mounted, or even better, simply make em both pull to shift up, flick forward to shift down.
Old 09-06-09, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
If you are shifting under heavy g-forces unloading the inside wheel, all that power is going up in wheelspin and a likely off-course excursion.
A properly-designed LSD (limited-slip-differental) should prevent inside wheelspin in corners, no matter what kind of shifters you have or how you use them. That is even more the case on the newer transmissions with rev-matching downshifts.
Old 09-06-09, 05:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A properly-designed LSD (limited-slip-differental) should prevent inside wheelspin in corners, no matter what kind of shifters you have or how you use them. That is even more the case on the newer transmissions with rev-matching downshifts.
Yeah but it can also cause both wheels to spin, which can be even worse.
Old 09-06-09, 08:25 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

. . . . and trying to put massive shock loads of torque caused by clutch release with weight transferred to the outside wheel may cause 1.) wheelspin of loaded wheel as single contact patch is unable to transfer torque to the ground, or 2.) if outside wheel only conducts power to the road, there is a good possibility of oversteer as the grip is asymmetrical.