Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SVT F-150 RAPTOR - amazing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 08:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Default SVT F-150 RAPTOR - amazing!

drive across a desert over anything at 80mph.

full review here:
http://www.nextautos.com/driven-2010...lightly-my-***

i LOVE this picture, lol
Attached Thumbnails SVT F-150 RAPTOR - amazing!-f-150-raptor2.jpg  
Old 09-05-09, 09:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The whole concept seems misleading, though, and may be false advertising, just like those old Paul Hogan Subaru and the Pontiac "Cowboy" Montana minivan ads.

I don't care how much travel you have in the suspension, how beefy the truck ladder-frame is, how many skid-plates you have, or how heavy-duty the shock absorbers are, you just don't go charging across creek beds or up the sides of granite-cliff mountains at high speeds.

That's what was wrong with the Paul Hogan ads......and why Subaru eventually stopped them. They tried to portray Foresters and Outbacks as all-terrain, rock-climbing Jeeps. Well, they aren't, despite having one of the best car-based AWD systems in the world.

I'm sure the Raptor is very capable off road (most 4WD F-150s are; one reason for their great popularity), but off-road capability is one thing......absurd speeds while off-roading is quite another.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-05-09 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-05-09, 09:34 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford's SVT is back
definitely bringing in all the big guns to help bolster the brand with enthusiasts
Old 09-06-09, 12:05 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have never ben a fan of trucks or most SUVs
Old 09-06-09, 06:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The whole concept seems misleading, though, and may be false advertising, just like those old Paul Hogan Subaru and the Pontiac "Cowboy" Montana minivan ads.
comparing this truck to a subaru or pontiac minivan is laughable.

I don't care how much travel you have in the suspension, how beefy the truck ladder-frame is, how many skid-plates you have, or how heavy-duty the shock absorbers are, you just don't go charging across creek beds or up the sides of granite-cliff mountains at high speeds.
it's done all the time in places like baja so somehow it does get done. i guess i'm unclear why you think a beast like this isn't up to the job.

what i'm impressed about it (from the review) is even on regular roads you will likely get a MORE capable truck and comfortable ride.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-06-09 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-06-09, 09:12 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

That's what was wrong with the Paul Hogan ads......and why Subaru eventually stopped them. They tried to portray Foresters and Outbacks as all-terrain, rock-climbing Jeeps. Well, they aren't, despite having one of the best car-based AWD systems in the world.

I'm sure the Raptor is very capable off road (most 4WD F-150s are; one reason for their great popularity), but off-road capability is one thing......absurd speeds while off-roading is quite another.
Ummm, before you base your statement on opinion versus fact, you need to check out a Raptor up close and in person. One of the local Ford dealers brought one to a cruise in two weeks ago and I can tell you this truck can tackle off road at ridiculous speeds. Upgraded suspension arms and bushings, unbelievable shocks front and back with remote reservoirs, etc. The dampening and rebound on this truck makes for a smooth ride over rutted trails as experienced by the rides he was giving. I was amazed. You seriously need to test drive one if given the chance. Now, the 50K price tag is a whole other issue.
Old 09-06-09, 11:02 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They should bring back the Lightning.
Old 09-06-09, 11:29 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

The Raptor is amazing.. saw one at the Local dealership it would be a great offroader
Old 09-06-09, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
comparing this truck to a subaru or pontiac minivan is laughable.
Of course it's laughable. That isn't what I was saying. I wasn't comparing the vehicle itself to Subies or Montanas, only to the fact that auto companies have a history of exaggerating off-road ads, that's all.

it's done all the time in places like baja so somehow it does get done. i guess i'm unclear why you think a beast like this isn't up to the job.
As I said in my post, I'm sure it IS up to the job of reasonably tough off-roading. But not slamming across creek beds or large rocks at freeway speeds. Sorry, but I'm just a little skeptical about that.
Old 09-06-09, 02:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFastTSI
Ummm, before you base your statement on opinion versus fact, you need to check out a Raptor up close and in person.
I've seen a lot of exaggeration before in off-road ads. That is not opinion, but fact.

However, though I'm skeptical at the moment (and have good reason to be), I may test-drive one if I get a chance. I live in an area where there isn't much in the way of real off-roading, but there are some beat-up construction areas and I'll look for the roughest stuff I can find.

But, in the meantime, you've got to pardon me if I am skeptical. True off -road conditions at freeway speeds puts enormous stress on a truck.....far past the point where engineers can be expected to come up with a design at a price that could be sold as an everyday vehicle....in this case, 50K.
Old 09-06-09, 03:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

But, in the meantime, you've got to pardon me if I am skeptical.
no problem, but did you read the review?

a couple of quotes:

The suspension proved its mettle several times, including when I missed a turn-in at one ubiquitous creosol bush. The error and resulting power slide put the tires on a 45° collision course with what looked to be a substantial ridge created by a recent storm runoff. I braced for the impact and quickly wondered how many times the truck would barrel roll after the tires were knocked off their rims.
My navigator and I felt the impact. It was literally nothing. The Raptor couldn't have cared less. The suspension absorbed the shunt with no change in direction or upset to the chassis

Attempting anything akin to our Raptor's romp in the desert with a normal four-wheel drive truck would be ill advised. Its suspension would beat itself to pieces and major driveline components would spin themselves into tangled masses.
Old 09-06-09, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

no problem, but did you read the review?
Yes I did. It's hard to tell just how fast they were going when they hit that ridge.

I'll look at the truck myself....and test-drive it if they allow it. I'm still skeptical, but I'm also fair and objective......you know that. If it turns out I was wrong, and underestimated its capabilities, then so be it. I've been wrong before.
Old 09-06-09, 11:28 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by felixsc300
They should bring back the Lightning.
i miss mine
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-09, 11:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Yes I did. It's hard to tell just how fast they were going when they hit that ridge.

I'll look at the truck myself....and test-drive it if they allow it. I'm still skeptical, but I'm also fair and objective......you know that. If it turns out I was wrong, and underestimated its capabilities, then so be it. I've been wrong before.
yes you're fair, but respectfully, your test drive won't test this truck's claims off road.
Old 09-07-09, 06:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

yes you're fair, but respectfully, your test drive won't test this truck's claims off road.

You're right. It probably won't, but there are some torn-up construction sites in the area, and I'll look for the roughest place I can find.

Have you driven a Raptor yourself? I don't know if it's been released yet in your area. FL doesn't have much in the way of rocky off-road terrain, but it does have some sandy areas, marshes, and beaches (where they're not off-limits to vehicles).

Quick Reply: SVT F-150 RAPTOR - amazing!