Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG: Why Greenies are doing it wrong and the Accord/Camry/Golf/Jetta are demons

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 04:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TripleL
1SICK, that was a well thought out, fact based, reasonable and presented in an easy to understand manner. Thank you.

What do you think it would take to at least get in front of the general public and be heard? and what do you think their reaction would be?
The General public seemingly is only ready to change when;
-huge incentives to trade (CFC)
-huge incentives to trade due to $4 a gallon gas prices
-free credit is running rampant from crooked lenders/banks etc

This blog is basically telling people to really study your driving habits and maybe just maybe, slow down some. Most won't like it, they will be knee-jerk about it and say "its a free Country, I can buy what I want". Which is fine but don't complain about people buying sports cars and luxury SUVs etc that get 12 MPG b/c they are "buying what they want".

I rarely see a Range Rover on the used car market with a ton of miles (for whatever reason). I see tons of V-6 Altimas/Accords/Camrys/etc with tons of miles. Haven't THOSE cars polluted more than that Range Rover?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
See what you get yourself into with these threads, Mike. Even ACURA now has a 300 HP V6.
Except they are slow and not as efficient as the competition and have less power. They are 300hp in name only.

Old 09-08-09, 06:37 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said blog, This is America what you drive should be up to you, it is your own personal choice. Also the more cars you own the better, because you are not using all of them as much.
Old 09-08-09, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The General public seemingly is only ready to change when;
-huge incentives to trade (CFC)
-huge incentives to trade due to $4 a gallon gas prices
-free credit is running rampant from crooked lenders/banks etc
Another big incentive (though it might fit in with your reason #1, above) was a couple of years ago when GM offered Employee Pricing to the general public. If you remember, it had the same huge effect (for a while) that CFC did.

People can also be inspired to trade or buy when the vehicles themselves substantially improve. We saw that, to an extent, with Hyundai/Kia in the past decade, although public acceptance of the two companies (and the depreciation of their products) still generally lags behind their product quality.

"its a free Country, I can buy what I want". Which is fine but don't complain about people buying sports cars and luxury SUVs etc that get 12 MPG b/c they are "buying what they want".
What people often want is their cake and eat it too....sometimes going beyond the laws of physics or current technology. They want truck/SUV hauling/off-road ability and sports-car performance, but don't want to buy the gas needed for it.

I rarely see a Range Rover on the used car market with a ton of miles (for whatever reason).
I think we both know the reason for that, Mike. They are so unreliable that owners generally don't keep them past the warranty period.

Except they are slow and not as efficient as the competition and have less power. They are 300hp in name only.
They make 300 HP all right, but a little less torque (maybe 270 ft-lbs), and some of that, of course, is eaten up by the SH-AWD. But the AWD power loss (in torque actually reaching the wheels) would also be the case with a V8...as it is in some Audi Quattro V8s.
Old 09-08-09, 07:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They make 300 HP all right, but a little less torque (maybe 270 ft-lbs), and some of that, of course, is eaten up by the SH-AWD. But the AWD power loss (in torque actually reaching the wheels) would also be the case with a V8...as it is in some Audi Quattro V8s.
Theres also something called gearing, and to be fair, they aren't really slow. Maybe they don't win magazine comparos, but on the street they perform comparably to the competition.