Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think?
It looks dope
38.60%
Staggered on FWD is moronic
61.40%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 02:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I almost voted "It looks dope" because I mis-read it, and thought it say "It looks like a dope".
Old 09-08-09, 02:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by garbage85
why is it retarted? I think it looks badass

My comments to come soon

Old 09-08-09, 02:45 PM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the BBS' but not a fan of the super aggressive fitment resting on the ground like that. I have no issue with the staggered on FWDs as long as it looks good. I will say it looks better with the wheels tucked as oppose to having the wheels sticking out from the car like they use to do back in the mid 90's on these Civics.
Old 09-08-09, 04:34 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

It looks dope.
He's been featured on honda tuning, and i think it honestly looks great. i'm thinking he lives around me, since i've seen him driving around a couple times around my house, but tbh, i lost interest because when i heard it, it sounded like well, a civic.
Old 09-08-09, 08:55 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Sometimes there's a reason no one does something ...
Old 09-08-09, 09:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

this guys car is on the cover of Honda Tuning magazine this month with the title " fitment king". I think its cool but the fact that the wheels are probably more valuable then the car it seems lame. To each his own. I have to give the guy respect for tuning a car that was put on an enthusiast magazine
Old 09-10-09, 02:03 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

nice.

fitment is nice, wheels are badass. props, beats anyother hondas im use to seeing
Old 09-10-09, 03:15 PM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

I don't see anything wrong with it. 99% of the people that do it are going after a look.

What is your take on staggered on a AWD car? There are clearly many of them on here in the 3GS section
Old 09-10-09, 05:44 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So when Honda owners get good quality wheels like the BBS, they get bashed on. When they get cheap ebay wheels, they are called ricers.

Not everyone can afford Luxury cars, some people have to work with what they got, I dont see anything wrong with that. Any true car lovers would understand that
Old 09-10-09, 06:19 PM
LexFather

I am a common sense kinda guy and as I've gotten older, it seems to make more sense... to me putting staggered on a FWD car is nothing short of Simple Jack or Forrest Gump. Sorry. If you like it, that is fine but don't go around throwing "oh your elitist" and other titles around unless you enjoy being called a "ricer". Don't go getting mad b/c people like a PROPER setup and not one that makes as much sense as a square space shuttle.

If I put staggered on FWD, I would also do this...
1. Eat Cereal outside the bowl, on the table and pour milk and lap it up.
2. Drive on the wrong side of the road, you know, to be cool.
3. Turn on the microwave but never put food in it. I'd just eat cold food.
4. I would light a lighter, put a cigarette in my mouth, and never light it.
5. I would go to Hooters for the food and that is it.
6. Tell women to put breast implants, in their kneecaps.
I could go on for days

There is a function to putting Staggered on FWD and that is to put more power to the ground. Even if your car makes 20 hp, if its RWD, well the setup is proper.

NOTICE HOW DRAG CIVICS ARE STAGGERED, TO THE FRONT!?!!!?! Its b/c THOSE ARE THE DRIVE WHEELS.

You are a poseur, period. Buy a RWD car, why do you HAVE to "look" like a RWD car? What is WRONG with being FWD and being proud of it? What is wrong with a proper FWD car with the proper 18x8 or whatever setup all around. Its NOT like RWD cars are expensive, you can find a nice clean used cheap RWD vehicle today. They are now a dime a dozen.

The Civic in question here is not just Staggered, but has wheels that cost more than the car, wheels that are VW influenced (which is fine) and dumped like its a VIP LS or something. Its horrific.

Some say "its for show"? If that car stops you dead in your tracks, you must get excited every time the T.V comes on. What "show", the Chuck-E-Cheese show?

Sorry I don't like or will ever like staggered on FWD but I do admire those with FWD cars with proper and beautiful setups.

Old 09-10-09, 07:31 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well this debate boils down to Function and looks.

Judging from the picture, it looks like a show car with the air suspension

Lets face it, as badass as the civic posted on top, it is prob the ugliest civic I have ever seen. The front staggered setup just looks wierd and goofy. It will never win any trophies at a car show.

If you are all about performance, then you are right. it wouldn't make sense to have that type of a setup
Old 09-10-09, 07:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

yes but 1SICKLEX how do you really feel?
Old 09-10-09, 08:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes but 1SICKLEX how do you really feel?
bit we both know I was at 4 10ths.... This is reformed for a better world "green" Mike!

Change you can't believe in

Old 09-10-09, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by WidebodyQ
What is your take on staggered on a AWD car? There are clearly many of them on here in the 3GS section
With AWD, you don't have much choice on the stagger. You HAVE to run the same-size wheels/tires front/rear.....and if you DO stagger, you, of course, have to use the same altered size front/rear. If you dont, you can mess up the center diffrential by causing a lot of heat buildup that will shorten its life.
How much the center differential will be damaged depends on just how the AWD is set up, and how much torque it normally distributes between front/rear. Most performance-orented AWD cars have a RWD-biased set-up (some driver-adjustable) until the rear wheels lose traction.
Old 09-11-09, 08:25 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is a function to putting Staggered on FWD and that is to put more power to the ground. Even if your car makes 20 hp, if its RWD, well the setup is proper.
so where is the line between form and function. you seem to denounce fwd staggered setups in defense of "true vip" cars quite often. how is it that you overlook the "form over function" aspect of vip cars but do do not acknowledge it if it is fwd?

You are a poseur, period. Buy a RWD car, why do you HAVE to "look" like a RWD car? What is WRONG with being FWD and being proud of it? What is wrong with a proper FWD car with the proper 18x8 or whatever setup all around. Its NOT like RWD cars are expensive, you can find a nice clean used cheap RWD vehicle today. They are now a dime a dozen.
i'm still curious to hear your proposed solution regarding fitment (which i think we can all agree is one of the most visually impacting aspects of modification). most fwd cars are built with different body widths front to rear which can not be overcome without adjusting track width. are they just damned to bad fitment?

The Civic in question here is not just Staggered, but has wheels that cost more than the car, wheels that are VW influenced (which is fine) and dumped like its a VIP LS or something. Its horrific.
bbs rs are offered as factory options for makes and models from vw to toyota to chevy (yes, honda is included).

an ls is hardly the reference for "dumped". people have been slamming cars longer than toyota has been in the us market. in fact, i wouldn't hesitate to say that people have been slamming civics longer than the ls has been in production.

Sorry I don't like or will ever like staggered on FWD but I do admire those with FWD cars with proper and beautiful setups.
this is a respectable statement on it's own.

i don't like a lot of things just because i don't like them. i may even present my opinion as fact in a quick one-liner. however, if i was to type out a detailed response as you have i would have to acknowledge the double standards and preconceived notions, at which point i would kick it down to 0/10 to avoid sounding arrogant (at the very least).

Quick Reply: Discuss