Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have U bought a car in 1 color and then realized U want it in another color?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 04:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had many black cars, will not get another black car again!

To note, Lexus black is one of the worest to maintain, I don't know about newer ones, but older ones are black with no clear coat, make them impossible to stay scratch free.

Crystal white FTW!
Old 09-08-09, 07:03 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

black is awesome when clean and fully waxed; the reflection you see in the paint is unbelieveable. but it comes with a high maintenance cost of time and money to keep that shine ongoing. i would get black again, but only for a VIP platform vehicle or luxury car. otherwise, silver or white will be the preferred color of choice.
Old 09-08-09, 07:12 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black is always a winner for me even if its a pain to maintain.
Old 09-08-09, 07:55 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Regret not getting my GS in starfire pearl instead of obsidian black.
Old 09-08-09, 08:11 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lucky for me I got mine in the color I wanted from the beginning
Old 09-08-09, 08:17 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This is why I love Love LOVE my Spectra Blue GS. I searched for six months for this color, and it was worth the wait. Ultimately, I repainted it, but the colors I used are very similar to stock, just with a bit more 'punch' due to the PPG Vibrance paint.

Likewise, my Odyssey is Baltic Blue. I waited three weeks for this color, as it is not very common. Still love how it looks; I wouldn't change it!

I'm a sucker for saturated colors like Spectra Blue, Matador Red, Noble Spinel Mica, Ferrari Tour de France Blue, etc. Black, white, and silver are so common... I just can't do it!

Mike, you can always wrap it...
But please, no flat colors! (done-to-death!)
Old 09-08-09, 08:19 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always just take what ever color the car is.

If I could pick any color is would be the Copper Sunburst that was available on the 2003 CTS, but rarely do cars come in a color even close to that.

I know you can paint cars, but I just don't.

The only color I can't handle is grey interior.
Old 09-08-09, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
This is why I love Love LOVE my Spectra Blue GS. I searched for six months for this color, and it was worth the wait. Ultimately, I repainted it, but the colors I used are very similar to stock, just with a bit more 'punch' due to the PPG Vibrance paint.

Likewise, my Odyssey is Baltic Blue. I waited three weeks for this color, as it is not very common. Still love how it looks; I wouldn't change it!
Blue has become one of the best-selling colors outside of the traditional white and silver. Almost every vehicle on the market today has at least one shade of it....sometimes more.

I'm a sucker for saturated colors like Spectra Blue, Matador Red, Noble Spinel Mica, Ferrari Tour de France Blue, etc. Black, white, and silver are so common... I just can't do it!
Matador Red is gorgeous, especially when it's cleaned/polished up and the sun hits it. It's a shame that Lexus won't offer it outside of the IS/GS lines. IMHO, they are making a mistake not doing so. Chrysler/Dodge offers pretty much the same shade, called Inferno Red, but they charge extra for it, and, not surprisingly, it doesn't have quite the gloss that a Lexus paint job does.
Old 09-08-09, 08:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose black to start with? For the macho image? You know it is difficult to take care of, and hot in that GA sun.
, for instance) are phasing them out..
Reasons for me getting black (again)
-progression from 2GS to 3GS in the same color 202 Onyx
-dark hues fit more considering these economic times, didn't want flash
-I will never get beige leather in a Lexus and the GSh has a very limited amount of colors available. It was either black or grey leather again and that knocks some colors out
-my ideas for future mods

As for the sun I usually keep it in the shade or in the garage or a parking deck...I try to avoid the glaring sun.

Old 09-08-09, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Reasons for me getting black (again)
-progression from 2GS to 3GS in the same color 202 Onyx
-dark hues fit more considering these economic times, didn't want flash
-I will never get beige leather in a Lexus and the GSh has a very limited amount of colors available. It was either black or grey leather again and that knocks some colors out
-my ideas for future mods
Sounds like you agree with me that sometimes there is not enough color choice. The GS Hybrid is not the only one....I've noticed that other manufacturers also have a different color choice for hybrids, sometimes for exterior and interior both. And, conversely (as on the Ford Escape), hybrids sometimes have certain colors not available on the non-hybrids. Part of it, of course, is cost-cutting, but that alone doesn't explain why hybrids and non-hybrids sometimes have color choices that don't match.

As for the sun I usually keep it in the shade or in the garage or a parking deck...I try to avoid the glaring sun.
I do too. I avoid parking in the sun as much as possible, even if it means walking a little more. But trees can sometimes, under the right conditions, do a number on your car with sap, acorns, bird droppings, tree debris, etc.....
Old 09-08-09, 09:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Why is my F obsidian? The wife didn't like ultra sonic blue. I told her a black car is much harder to maintain and I never wanted to hear a single complaint about washing the car too often. I admit I hate keeping the black clean, but it does look gorgeous right after a clay bar and wax session. I still need to get it properly detailed to remove the scratches it had from the dealership washing it.

And it's a two stage paint - base and clear.