Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MotorWeek face-off: Prius, Insight, Fusion, Jetta TDI, A3 TDI & Smart

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I don't know ... most reviews from enthusiast mags say the Gen 3 Prius has a lot more fun and better handling/stability than the Gen 2 model. Looks wise the Gen 3 Prius is also more liked than the Gen 2. I've also read a lot of reviews that say interior materials quality is quite good compared to the Gen 2 as well.

I guess it's a matter of opinion ... many reviews also say the new Prius has better handling and a better interior than the Insight.
Well, the Prius DOES have more interior room than the Insight, particularly in the back seat and headroom. But the interior matrials/trim, IMO, definitely feel more solid in the Insight, as does the sheet metal. The cargo pull-cover in the new Prius, for example, was paper-thin and one of the flimsiest I've seen...it felt like it was going to tear in half when I used it, even gently.

But I still disagree on the handling....at least in normal day-to-day driving. Handling in the new 3Gen Prius, because of a slightly lower center of gravity and more aggreesive tires, is better than the 2Gen model, but not by much. The Insight, for several reasons, feels more responsive in the steering. The Prius, though, admittedly, blows the Insight away in the quality of the hybrid drivetrain....on that part, you'll get no arguments from me.
Old 09-10-09, 08:38 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Jetta TDI shows that you can have a economy car and have fun driving it too.
I wouldn't consider the Jetta a "economy" car, it's almost close to a "luxury" car if equipped right. I do like how VWs are more engaging to the driver - unless the ABA 2.slow is the prime mover
Old 09-10-09, 08:38 AM
LexFather

Bottom line is Prius = boring but excellent mileage and Jetta TDI = good mileage and fun to drive. I think the Jetta have a better compromised design.
WTF makes a Jetta fun to drive? I've never read ANYTHING saying is some fun vehicle. Its a Corolla with a better interior. Can we stop this "oh if its German its automatically fun" stuff? They make just as many pedestrian cars as Toyota.

Its a good car but damn its not some Ferrari you make it out to be.

Old 09-10-09, 08:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Why are you bringing racing versions of these economy cars into this discussion? The racing versions of these cars were not designed for fuel economy and vice versa.
B/C some people want to continue to act like "sporty means superior"..... Here let me bring this pic then

Instead of hyper miling and watching that MPG gauge all the time, some people actually like to drive normal and have some fun once a while. One other thing I like to point out is that diesel engines are heavy duty by nature and will take much more of a beating, unlike those lawn mower engines they put into the hybrids that is design for high mileage
So all Prius drivers hypermile? Jetta drivers don't? What on earth are you talking about????The reason the Prius sells so well is BECAUSE IT DRIVES LIKE A NORMAL CAR.

The Jetta TDI shows that you can have a economy car and have fun driving it too.
This test wasn't about "fun", it was about MPG. Most buyers in the segment give two craps about "fun". Quit the TIRED "oh fun" arguement.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Exactly! These cars can be driven hard (for those who like to drive this way track or otherwise) with no worries about batteries being depleted..
What stories of batteries being depleted have you heard of? Why are you making up things? I cannot believe what I am reading.
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Who drives these cars hard you ask? Those who don't drive like grannies, love to drive, those who like to autocross, etc.. When you want to drive like a Sunday driving, greenhead grannie to save fuel, you can.. With the diesel powered cars, you can have your cake & eat it too so to speak.
They don't buy JETTA's!!!

Old 09-10-09, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
WTF makes a Jetta fun to drive? I've never read ANYTHING saying is some fun vehicle. Its a Corolla with a better interior. Can we stop this "oh if its German its automatically fun" stuff? They make just as many pedestrian cars as Toyota.
I agree with you to an extent, Mike. The Jetta DOES have Corolla-like styling, and at least a marginally better interior. But, compared to a Corolla, a Jetta does have more responsive steering, with better feel and feedback. It also has MUCH crisper brakes.....Corolla brakes, IMO, feel like a sponge, and take forever to respond. Of course, the Corolla is better in reliability and in ride comfort/quietness.
Old 09-10-09, 08:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with you to an extent, Mike. The Jetta DOES have Corolla-like styling, and at least a marginally better interior. But, compared to a Corolla, a Jetta does have more responsive steering, with better feel and feedback. It also has MUCH crisper brakes.....Corolla brakes, IMO, feel like a sponge, and take forever to respond. Of course, the Corolla is better in reliability and in ride comfort/quietness.
Jetta drivers don't buy them b/c it drives marginally more sporty. Its a JETTA. They buy them for a great interior and they want a German car. I don't recall a Jetta EVER winning a sports sedan comparo and its rarely mentioned with the Mazda 6 or something of that nature.

Is it sportier than a Prius/Corolla? Yes but thats not saying much and its NOT why people buy diesels or hybrids for the most part.

This continued posting "oh its sportier, its better" is old, redundant and just out of whack with reality.

Old 09-10-09, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Jetta drivers don't buy them b/c it drives marginally more sporty.
With the exception of the GTI model (VW did some 4-door Jetta GTI's), that's probably true.

Its a JETTA. They buy them for a great interior and they want a German car. I don't recall a Jetta EVER winning a sports sedan comparo and its rarely mentioned with the Mazda 6 or something of that nature.
It's not in the Mazda6 class. Size-wise, it's much closer to the Mazda3, where, of course, it has to compete with the turbo Mazdaspeed3 as well.

Is it sportier than a Prius/Corolla? Yes but thats not saying much and its NOT why people buy diesels or hybrids for the most part.

This continued posting "oh its sportier, its better" is old, redundant and just out of whack with reality.
Yes....agreed. I don't worship at the altar of sportiness myself, and, like you, often get tired of its over-emphasis in the auto press and car mags.
Old 09-10-09, 10:47 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Yes....agreed. I don't worship at the altar of sportiness myself, and, like you, often get tired of its over-emphasis in the auto press and car mags.
People are willing to forgo sportiness for functionality and something that just does the job. I think VWs are ticking time bombs as well when it comes to reliability and durability issues. I know too many people who have managed to screw their VWs up majorly.
Old 09-10-09, 10:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

WTF makes a Jetta fun to drive? I've never read ANYTHING saying is some fun vehicle. Its a Corolla with a better interior.
I guess you have never driven a Corolla before, the electric steering feels like you are playing a video game.
Old 09-10-09, 11:03 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

I'll say this - the Corolla steers like a dream compared to the Cobalt, Caliber or Accent.
Old 09-10-09, 12:01 PM
LexFather

I guess you have never driven a Corolla before, the electric steering feels like you are playing a video game.
WHO CARES???? It is a Corolla, it is the best selling vehicle of all time. It is BASIC TRANSPORTATION. You want sportier, you buy a MAZDA 3, you don't buy a Corolla or a Jetta.

I've never had a problem in any Corolla b/c my expectations are for comfort, quiet and quality, not to be a boy racer machine.

Though I've heard decent things about the Corolla XRS but it still does not get my heart pumping.

Old 09-10-09, 12:42 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

WHO CARES???? It is a Corolla, it is the best selling vehicle of all time. It is BASIC TRANSPORTATION. You want sportier, you buy a MAZDA 3, you don't buy a Corolla or a Jetta.

I've never had a problem in any Corolla b/c my expectations are for comfort, quiet and quality, not to be a boy racer machine.

Though I've heard decent things about the Corolla XRS but it still does not get my heart pumping.
Yup, my point exactly, who care, its a Corolla. If sporty driving is not on the top of your list of priority, then the Corolla is a good choice and according to the sales numbers, people in the US shopping in the Corolla's price range usually value relaibility more, but thats not the case in other parts of the world.
Old 09-10-09, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Hyundai Elantra is also a nice basic-transporation car in that class, and, IMO, has a nicer interior than the Corolla, a better warranty, and equals or undercuts the Corolla's price as well. It doesn't quite equal the Corolla's reliability or smooth drivetrain, but is considered better than average in reliability. If I had to choose betwen the Corolla and Elantra, it would be a tough choice.

The reason the XRS doesn't get many hearts pumping, in normal, day-to-day driving, is that it uses an extremely high-revving VVT-i 1.8L four (essentially the same engine as in the old Celica GT-S), that, like the Honda VTEC fours it is pattered after, has very little torque at low RPMs in normal driving. Its HP and torque peaks are both way up there (from 6800 to 7600 RPM), and below 6000 RPM, response is quite flat. To be honest, the average American driver simply doesn't want to drive his or her Corolla around with the tach pegged all the time. That's one reason why the XRS model didn't sell well, and most Corolla buyers who wanted a little more sportiness chose the 5-speed S model instead.
Old 09-10-09, 12:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The Hyundai Elantra is also a nice basic-transporation car in that class, and, IMO, has a nicer interior than the Corolla, a better warranty, and equals or undercuts the Corolla's price as well. It doesn't quite equal the Corolla's reliability or smooth drivetrain, but is considered better than average in reliability. If I had to choose betwen the Corolla and Elantra, it would be a tough choice.

The reason the XRS doesn't get many hearts pumping, in normal, day-to-day driving, is that it uses an extremely high-revving VVT-i 1.8L four (essentially the same engine as in the old Celica GT-S), that, like the Honda VTEC fours it is pattered after, has very little torque at low RPMs in normal driving. Its HP and torque peaks are both way up there (from 6800 to 7600 RPM), and below 6000 RPM, response is quite flat. To be honest, the average American driver simply doesn't want to drive his or her Corolla around with the tach pegged all the time. That's one reason why the XRS model didn't sell well, and most Corolla buyers who wanted a little more sportiness chose the 5-speed S model instead.
Actually the latest Corolla XRS uses the 2.4L 2AZ-FE I4, not the 1.8 2ZZ-GE of previous.
Old 09-10-09, 12:54 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, my point exactly, who care, its a Corolla. If sporty driving is not on the top of your list of priority, then the Corolla is a good choice and according to the sales numbers, people in the US shopping in the Corolla's price range usually value relaibility more, but thats not the case in other parts of the world.
First of all, there are many many different Corolla variants sold around the world. North America only gets a very small fraction of these variants.

Also the Corolla is the world's best selling car for quite a few years now. People in other parts of the world then must care about some of the attributes the Corolla has in order for it to sell so well.

Furthermore, the majority of North American consumers do not want a stiff, sporty compact car. With the North American Corolla, Toyota caters to what the majority of customers want *in this market*.

In other markets around the world, Toyota offers sportier and better-handling Corollas where the market demands it.

Quick Reply: MotorWeek face-off: Prius, Insight, Fusion, Jetta TDI, A3 TDI & Smart