Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MotorWeek face-off: Prius, Insight, Fusion, Jetta TDI, A3 TDI & Smart

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 01:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Actually the latest Corolla XRS uses the 2.4L 2AZ-FE I4, not the 1.8 2ZZ-GE of previous.
Thanks, Ryan. I had forgotten that they made that switch. Still, Mike (1SICKLEX) has a point. The newer XRS has not sold very well either.
Old 09-10-09, 01:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed. All we hear from journalists and enthusiast forums is that the Corolla is bland and boring and should be more like the Mazda 3 or a Porsche [for god's sake]. Compare sales.

Toyota knows what they're doing. Enthusiasts disagree, but Toyota's formula is working and they sell zillions of Camry's and Corolla's as a result.

Why would Toyota turn them into sport's cars???

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 09-10-09 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 01:19 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Indeed. All we here from journalists and enthusiast forums is that the Corolla is bland and boring and should be more like the Mazda 3 or a Porsche [for god's sake]. Compare sales.

Toyota knows what they're doing. Enthusiasts disagree, but Toyota's formula is working and they sell zillions of Camry's and Corolla's as a result.

Why would Toyota turn them into sport's cars???
Of course Toyota knows what they are doing, other wise, they would not be #1. Just look up and down their whole line up, their best selling cars are the boring ones. Sporty cars such as the GS and sporty version of the Corolla and Camry just dont sell very well.
Old 09-10-09, 05:43 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
WTF makes a Jetta fun to drive? I've never read ANYTHING saying is some fun vehicle.
Its a good car but damn its not some Ferrari you make it out to be.
My roomate had a last gen. Jetta. What a car. A 2.0L, 115 HP vehicle that was slow as *****, yet somehow only managed 27 MPG Hwy. Terrible engineering. It was a low mileage vehicle yet everything from the speedo to the A/C was broken. And people laud the Jetta TDI like it will last for years and years. The engine might. The rest will be lucky to crack 50k miles.

I would be more inclined to get a Civic for a decent handling vehicle than a Jetta.
Old 09-13-09, 08:49 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
My roomate had a last gen. Jetta. What a car. A 2.0L, 115 HP vehicle that was slow as *****, yet somehow only managed 27 MPG Hwy. Terrible engineering. It was a low mileage vehicle yet everything from the speedo to the A/C was broken. And people laud the Jetta TDI like it will last for years and years. The engine might. The rest will be lucky to crack 50k miles.

I would be more inclined to get a Civic for a decent handling vehicle than a Jetta.
You do realise that is the worst engine in the entire VW lineup, right? 115hp from a 2.0 litre is pathetic even for 2000 and it sucks a lot of fuel for a 2.0 litre engine but I'm guessing it was cheap to make that's why it was offered. I'd say the 2.0T (or 1.8T back then) would be more fun to drive. Even the current Jetta's 2.5L uses quite a bit of fuel (my friend's complaining about it and they moved from a 15 year old Cherokee!)