Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Most disappointing redesigns?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 12:05 AM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for the new TL!
Old 10-16-09, 02:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Murano is certainly another one.
Old 10-16-09, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Murano is certainly another one.
True, but the problem with the Murano is that the first-gen model was not that impressive either.....IMO, it was ugly and had a very poor-quality interior. The 2Gen model, to its credit, solved many of the interior quality problems, but still kept the basic Geeky-looking exterior.
Old 10-16-09, 03:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but the problem with the Murano is that the first-gen model was not that impressive either.....IMO, it was ugly and had a very poor-quality interior. The 2Gen model, to its credit, solved many of the interior quality problems, but still kept the basic Geeky-looking exterior.
Yes, realizing that judging designs in this manner is very subjective.

But the mediocre sales numbers generated by Murano are what they are.
Old 10-16-09, 10:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the new Acura grilles are pretty funky. I also wish the new 3 series looked more aggressive
Old 10-17-09, 10:03 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
So we recently had a thread on most improved redesigns, which included cars like the Escalade that went from rather unimpressive rebadges to become very successful, well selling redesigns.

So I though I'd make a thread for the most disappointing redesigns. I'll start off with a couple of my choices. They aren't in any particular oder, just listing them.

1) Current Acura TL. No doubt the drivetrain has improved, with the available SH-AWD, but the car is priced way out of its range and has been hit with the ugly stick.

2) The 2nd gen Q45. While the original Q45 was never a hot seller, it was a marvelous machine. It featured things like Active supension, 4 wheel steering, 4.5L DOHC V8 engine featuring variable timing technology, forged crank and rods, 6 bolt main bearing caps, maintenance free timing chain. Unheard of for its times, and boy, did it move! The 2nd gen Q45 however was based on a cheaper Nissan Cima platform and less advanced and less powerful 4.1L v8.

3) The current GS. While in many way it is better than the 2nd gen GS, many of the 2GS enthusiasts, such as myself, find the 3GS bland and unoriginal.

4) The current 5 series. I am probably the biggest BMW hater on the internet, but even I have to admit that the last 5 series was seriously gorgeous. The bangled version isnt a bad looking car on its own, but its nowhere near as good looking as the model it replaced.

5) Acura RSX. This is probably the biggest disappointment for me, because I've always loved the Integra it replaced. Especially the Type-R variant. The Integra had a gorgeous, timeless design, sporty suspension, high revving engine, and was generally well built. RSX however was cheapened down in many ways, featured an uninspiring suspension, more powerful but less lively engine, and didn't look half as good.

So guys, what are your opinions on this?

don't agree with 5 series comment. it's a ground breaking design. it's one of those designs that changed the industry. it was so far ahead of the time IMO.
Old 10-17-09, 10:05 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Current gen Accord, TL, RL, and the last gen ES
Old 10-17-09, 10:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
don't agree with 5 series comment. it's a ground breaking design. it's one of those designs that changed the industry. it was so far ahead of the time IMO.
Right, because it looks like a freaking KIA.
Old 10-17-09, 11:05 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol I love the current 5 series too, sorry. Though no where as good looking as the new 7 which looks so much better than the one it replaced
Old 10-17-09, 11:16 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
So we recently had a thread on most improved redesigns, which included cars like the Escalade that went from rather unimpressive rebadges to become very successful, well selling redesigns.

So I though I'd make a thread for the most disappointing redesigns. I'll start off with a couple of my choices. They aren't in any particular oder, just listing them.

1) Current Acura TL. No doubt the drivetrain has improved, with the available SH-AWD, but the car is priced way out of its range and has been hit with the ugly stick.

2) The 2nd gen Q45. While the original Q45 was never a hot seller, it was a marvelous machine. It featured things like Active supension, 4 wheel steering, 4.5L DOHC V8 engine featuring variable timing technology, forged crank and rods, 6 bolt main bearing caps, maintenance free timing chain. Unheard of for its times, and boy, did it move! The 2nd gen Q45 however was based on a cheaper Nissan Cima platform and less advanced and less powerful 4.1L v8.

3) The current GS. While in many way it is better than the 2nd gen GS, many of the 2GS enthusiasts, such as myself, find the 3GS bland and unoriginal.

4) The current 5 series. I am probably the biggest BMW hater on the internet, but even I have to admit that the last 5 series was seriously gorgeous. The bangled version isnt a bad looking car on its own, but its nowhere near as good looking as the model it replaced.

5) Acura RSX. This is probably the biggest disappointment for me, because I've always loved the Integra it replaced. Especially the Type-R variant. The Integra had a gorgeous, timeless design, sporty suspension, high revving engine, and was generally well built. RSX however was cheapened down in many ways, featured an uninspiring suspension, more powerful but less lively engine, and didn't look half as good.

So guys, what are your opinions on this?
I agree with the Acura TL but the rest leave me cold.
BMW was boring until Bangle infused some flair into those plain Jane models. The 5 series is the best of those design themes imo and the E92 looks waaay better than the ridicously plain E46.
I like all of the Q45 models.