Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes; entire S-Class could be hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 08:52 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mercedes; entire S-Class could be hybrids

Mercedes makes a big move; entire S-Class could be hybrids
Mercedes-Benz, caught like other automakers in a regulatory squeeze to post higher fuel efficiency, may make the next generation of its flagship S-Class sedans all hybrids, a company official said Monday.
It would be the first time an entire conventional model line has been converted to an alternative powertrain. So far, gas-electric hybrid powertrains have come as options or in a handful of one-off models, such as Toyota's Prius, aimed at eco-conscious shoppers.

The conversion could make sense for a line such as the S-Class. The German automaker just started offering a hybrid in the line and, unlike most hybrids, the model is not at the top price-wise. At $87,950, the S400 Hybrid is $3,650 less than the non-hybrid V-8 S550. Next week, Mercedes will unveil a prototype plug-in hybrid version of the large sedan at the Frankfurt (Germany) Motor Show.

The Vision S500 Plug-in Hybrid, as it will be called, would allow owners up to 18 miles of electric-only driving before the gas engine kicks in. The car's lithium-ion battery pack could be recharged in as little as two hours. And Mercedes says the system it is developing now will fit in all of its future large and midsize cars and SUVs.

"The modular configuration is so versatile that we're seriously exploring the possibility of equipping the next generation S-Class models entirely with hybrid drivelines," said spokesman Dan Barile. The next generation of the S-Class is due in 2014.

The exact form it could take — such as variations of today's gas-electric hybrid, diesel-electric hybrids, plug-in hybrids — has not been determined.

While hybrid systems are costly, the higher prices of Mercedes vehicles could help it absorb the cost to outfit a line. There's another advantage, too: "Let the rich people pay for the (research and development) and get the price down for the rest of us," said Paul Scott, co-founder of Plug In America.

The race to offer plug-ins is heating up. General Motors' Chevy Volt extended-range plug-in and Nissan's all-electric Leaf are slated to make their debuts as early as next year.

Even if gas prices don't climb back into the stratosphere, automakers are under pressure to increase fuel economy. The Obama administration announced in May that it's setting a national fuel-economy standard of 35.5 miles per gallon by 2016, up from today's standard of about 25 mpg. While most automakers endorsed that, it's leading to an industry scramble to find alternative technologies.

Source
Old 09-09-09, 08:53 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

I think they have some sound reasoning but I still found it very interesting that of all the different model line ups they have that the S-Class was being proposed first.
Old 09-09-09, 10:43 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By Michael Gauthier
September 9, 2009 3:35 PM

Set to be officially unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show, the concept will feature a V6 petrol engine connected to an advanced lithium-ion battery that has a storage capacity of more than 10 kWh. This unique setup will allow the S-Class to travel up to 30km (18.6 miles) on electricity alone. When the battery is depleted, the 44 kW (60 hp) hybrid module will activate the petrol engine. While the specifics are still kind of murky, the car will rocket from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.5 seconds.

In terms of efficiency, the Vision S 500 plug-in hybrid will consume just 3.2L/100km (73.5 mpg) while emitting 74 grams of CO2/100km. This easily beats the Fisker Karma's estimated rating of 3.5L/100km (67.2 mpg) and 83 grams of CO2/km.

According to Dr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars, "The Vision S 500 HYBRID is a new milestone on our path toward zero-emission mobility. It is a luxurious and safe S-Class vehicle that offers superior driving performance while at the same time consuming less fuel than current compacts. All of this shows that our top models will also be able to combine automotive fascination with responsibility for the environment."

Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/10909092...concept--first
Old 09-09-09, 11:02 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder what diesel fans will have to say about that. (or Audi's president lol).

Mercedes is once again trying to take the lead in the automotive world. They should be successful, after all that's what got them to where they are now.
Old 09-09-09, 12:52 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I think it is a good idea. Simply adding an electric motor to the current engine 550 engine or even the 63 engine which could allow 18 miles of all electric driving would do a lot for average mpg. Assuming it is implemented correctly.
Old 09-09-09, 04:27 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Lexus should get the jump and hybridize the ES.
Old 09-10-09, 11:20 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Lexus should get the jump and hybridize the ES.
Is that not in the works for the next gen ES?
Old 09-10-09, 05:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Is that not in the works for the next gen ES?
I'm willing to be that it is. But I was positing that Lexus make all ES's hybrids. They have proven with the HS that a full hybrid doesnt have to have comprised trunk space. If the offered say an ES250h maintaining current price point and than an ES400h for those willing to spend more and want more.
Old 09-10-09, 07:25 PM
LexFather

Good job Mercedes!!!

Old 09-10-09, 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

if done right this could be good, without the weight, space, and packaging problems of NiMH.

the hybrid thing reminds me of early camcorders... anyone remember something like this:

and now this:

i had no interest in buying the first, but the second... ok, ya got me.
Old 09-10-09, 08:50 PM
amdave
Driver

i think benz is on the right track. they have always been leaders in automotive movement, until the Chrysler debacle. i hope to see them back near the top in quality, reliability and innovation.

i will have to start saving for 2014.
Old 09-11-09, 02:03 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good job Mercedes!!!
This sounds really interesting indeed. I guess we shall see till then ey
Old 09-11-09, 03:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I wonder what diesel fans will have to say about that. (or Audi's president lol).

Mercedes is once again trying to take the lead in the automotive world. They should be successful, after all that's what got them to where they are now.
+1.....my thoughts exactly
Old 09-11-09, 06:14 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if done right this could be good, without the weight, space, and packaging problems of NiMH.

the hybrid thing reminds me of early camcorders... anyone remember something like this:

Good analogy bit. And Yes in 1983 I had a slightly smaller but similar set up that I used to videotape weddings with. And speaking of battery packs he is of course missing the portable battery back which was a 6 inch tall by 2.5 in thick belt that went all the way around your waist and must have weighed at least 18 lbs Now we have more a powerful battery than that in most laptops! amazing.

As for Mercedes I'm glad to see this type of 'out of the box thinking'. I hope we see more of it from them and others. I think that as fun as the 'raw' horsepower years have been, we are now in just as exciting time with the innovation of new methods of propulsion!
Old 09-12-09, 04:13 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

This is off-topic but interesting nonetheless.

Mercedes-Benz Unveils Hydrogen Powered B-Class F-Cell

Many think the infrastructure for a hydrogen-powered car just isn’t there, and they’re mostly right. There have been a few advances in hydrogen production recently, but the distribution system is the weak point. Honda hasn’t let that deter the production of a hydrogen fueled car, and neither is Mercedes-Benz, which today is launching its first series-produced fuel cell car on the road: the new B-Class F-CELL.

The environmentally friendly electric car has better performance than a 2.0-liter gasoline car and is fully suited for everyday driving, with the zero-emission drive system achieves the equivalent of 71 mpg of diesel. Production of the B-Class F-CELL will commence in late 2009 with a small lot. The first of around 200 vehicles will be delivered to customers in Europe and the U.S. at the beginning of next year.

The vehicle’s technological heart is a compact, high-performance fuel cell system, in which gaseous hydrogen reacts with atmospheric oxygen at 700 bar to generate a current for the electric motor. The fuel cell system of the B-Class F-CELL has a very good cold-start capability even at temperatures as low as minus 25 degrees Celsius, and is good for a driving range of about 250 mi.

Peak output from the electric motor stands at 136 horsepower and 214 pound-feet of torque, all of which is available from zero revs. As in hybrids with combustion engines, the B-Class F-CELL also uses a lithium-ion battery with an output of 35 kW and a capacity of 1.4 kWh to boost power and recover braking energy.

Mercedes-Benz does acknowledge that a comprehensive network of hydrogen filling stations still has to be set up before locally zero-emission driving can become a widespread reality. To make this possible, the automaker is cooperating with government authorities, energy utilities and oil companies in joint projects in places such as Hamburg, Stuttgart and California to help roll out hydrogen infrastructure.

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...b-class-f-cell

Quick Reply: Mercedes; entire S-Class could be hybrids