Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM to give 60 day guarantee on cars now...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 11:41 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking about charging a Corvette or CTS-V and returning when the bill arrives.

I think the real trick with this promo (IMO) is they are hoping that owners will get attached to their new car and not want give it up and/or after trading in their old car there's nothing to go back to. Part of the fine print is you must keep it for 30 days and return it during the 2nd 30 days.
Old 09-14-09, 11:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Is the Corvette or the CTS-V even on the list of the qualified GM vehicles?
Old 09-14-09, 02:08 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

According to the article:

The new 60-day satisfaction guarantee will be offered to eligible buyers of new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles, allowing customers to return vehicles to their dealer between 31 and 60 days after purchase. The program runs Sept. 14 through Nov. 30.

So far, I have not seen any exclusions in any of the announcemnets.
Old 09-15-09, 05:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There has to be some fine prints in the contract itself.
Old 09-15-09, 05:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I saw that commerical, the CEO of GM doing the commerical look and sounded like he had 60 days to live....
Old 09-15-09, 05:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by cherplex
I saw that commerical, the CEO of GM doing the commerical look and sounded like he had 60 days to live....
LMFAO.....

They should get Joe Biden to advertise...

Old 09-15-09, 07:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
lol, as he walks the plank.
Old 09-16-09, 05:29 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man... a lot of you guys are giving GM a really tough time on this.

IMO this is them putting their money where their mouth is... they say their cars are now good enough for everyone to consider, so they're actually letting you try one out for a couple months with no obligation. That's a serious guarantee!

Sure Lexus doesn't NEED this kind of assurance because they haven't developed the negative rep GM has for poor quality cars. But this IS what GM needs to be doing right now... getting all of those nay-sayers back into the dealership to see if GM is all talk or really has changed.

Also for those of you confused on the negative equity thing... that's for your trade in vehicle. You know how sometimes people trade in vehicles worth less than what they owe on them? Well this guarantee does NOT include the dealer holding on to your trade-in vehicle until you're sure you're happy with the car... so if you got less for your trade-in than you owed on it, they can't exactly refund you that money back... you'll have to continue to owe them the difference there.

That's not a scam at all... it's just simple understandable economics. If they refunded you back more than the transaction value then people would be scamming THEM left and right. The only other solution would be for them to put a hold on your used car for 60 days, but realistically if you are genuinely in the market for a new vehicle then if you don't like your GM vehicle you can just use it to go car shopping for something else, buy that something else, and then return the GM vehicle... you won't need your used car anymore no matter what you decide to buy in the end.
Old 09-16-09, 06:06 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Man... a lot of you guys are giving GM a really tough time on this.

IMO this is them putting their money where their mouth is...
This is GM putting our money (U.S. taxpayers money) where their mouth is. GM filed for bankruptcy (regardless if it was chapter 7,11, or 13) which is factually fact. There was a reason GM filed for bankruptcy and the government is trying to resurrect a company that should have died back in December 2008...
Old 09-16-09, 06:14 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
This is GM putting our money (U.S. taxpayers money) where their mouth is. GM filed for bankruptcy (regardless if it was chapter 7,11, or 13) which is factually fact. There was a reason GM filed for bankruptcy and the government is trying to resurrect a company that should have died back in December 2008...
OK, sure, so whether or not you agree with the bailout, it's over.... done with.

So at this point as a taxpayer and American the best thing we can hope for is that they succeed since every US taxpayer actually effectively OWNS part of GM now. If GM succeeds, the taxpayer, the government, and the entire economy benefit.

With that in mind, I think GM is making a good move toward success, assuming their vehicles are worthy of this sort of guarantee, of course.

In my experience so far with my 09 Aura, I'd say that they are. The car has been very impressive overall and no problems yet.
Old 09-16-09, 07:13 PM
Trexus

OK, sure, so whether or not you agree with the bailout, it's over.... done with.
You're right the bailout is done and over but it was Wrong.

So at this point as a taxpayer and American the best thing we can hope for is that they succeed since every US taxpayer actually effectively OWNS part of GM now. If GM succeeds, the taxpayer, the government, and the entire economy benefit.
In theory you are correct. Then again if GM fails again then that would be the biggest waste of U.S. taxpayers money.

With that in mind, I think GM is making a good move toward success, assuming their vehicles are worthy of this sort of guarantee, of course.
Good luck to GM.

In my experience so far with my 09 Aura, I'd say that they are. The car has been very impressive overall and no problems yet.
That's good to hear you Saturn is holding up...
Old 09-16-09, 11:09 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
....First, the loss of the Saturn division itself, and Second, as a public-relations move to help shore up public confidence after the bankrupcy.
Not only that. GM want's to drive sales. They need promotions, Toyota has Red Tag days and Lexus has promotions like December to remember...GM has their promotions.

Another thing. I have not seen a Lexus or Toyota win a MT or C&D comparo for a very long time....maybe dating back to 2003 with the LS430. However I have seen the new new Cadillac come out in front of the Lexus RX...Hynudai Genesis beat out the GS (edmunds I think)...F150 beat out the Tundra and I am not sure but I think the Malibu Hybrid beat out the Camry Hybrid...

Kudos for GM...putting their money where there mouth is....I frankly don't see Toyota/Lexus doing that.
Old 09-16-09, 11:32 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Kudos for GM...putting their money where there mouth is....I frankly don't see Toyota/Lexus doing that.
GM is putting our (U.S. taxpayers money) where their mouth is. Remember when GM received a bailout from the U.S. Government recently. Well GM hasn't paid that money back so they aren't putting their own money where their mouth is...
Old 09-16-09, 11:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

60 days or 600 days I would never EVER buy a GM product.....especially during this crisis they are in. Their performance inspires even less confidence than I had in them 4 years ago. Although I would buy a CTSV at slashed prices. I saw one for 59k with only 6k miles on it in the Dupont registry. Tempting but I will stick with what I have
Old 09-17-09, 10:42 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If that's the case, then why did the company (and its cars) receive such enormously high customer satisfaction ratings in the 1990's.....on a par, at the time, with Lexus and Infiniti? Like it or not, those "cheezy" cars, as you reference them, developed a cult-like following. I owned one myself (an SL-2 sedan), and had a LOT less trouble with it than previous American-with designed/built cars I had owned in the 70s and early 80's. Its overall quality was roughly comparable to Mazdas and Nissans of the period......almost to Honda/Toyota levels.

I know that you dislike those cars (for reasons we have discussed here and before) but I still have to disagree.
Mike, as I recall, the only real meaningful awards Saturn ever had was for its sales satisfaction rating. IOW, customers were leaving the dealer very satisfied with their sales process. The cars themselves were subpar in nearly every category.

Quick Reply: GM to give 60 day guarantee on cars now...