Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM to give 60 day guarantee on cars now...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 10:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Not only that. GM want's to drive sales. They need promotions, Toyota has Red Tag days and Lexus has promotions like December to remember...GM has their promotions.
Honda also has the Year-End-Clearance-Event every August-September, with a barrage of TV ads.

Another thing. I have not seen a Lexus or Toyota win a MT or C&D comparo for a very long time....maybe dating back to 2003 with the LS430. However I have seen the new new Cadillac come out in front of the Lexus RX...Hynudai Genesis beat out the GS (edmunds I think)...F150 beat out the Tundra and I am not sure but I think the Malibu Hybrid beat out the Camry Hybrid...

Kudos for GM...putting their money where there mouth is....I frankly don't see Toyota/Lexus doing that.
The Camry DID win a family-sedan comparo a few years back in C&D, if my memory is right. They noted the appliance-like handling and road manners, but, because it was a family sedan, not a sport-sedan, its comfort and refinement helped give it first-place, beating even the Accord. I was surprised, because C&D, like most enthusiast mags, usually gives out points for sportiness, even in non-sport comparos.
Old 09-17-09, 11:30 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Mike, as I recall, the only real meaningful awards Saturn ever had was for its sales satisfaction rating. IOW, customers were leaving the dealer very satisfied with their sales process. The cars themselves were subpar in nearly every category.
I remember a buddy of mine from the Army went to a Saturn dealership and ended up buying a car he said he was very satisfied with the sale and had good things to say about the dealership and the process. But within a year the car end up having minor annoying issues according to him and he ended up trading it in.
Old 09-17-09, 01:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Mike, as I recall, the only real meaningful awards Saturn ever had was for its sales satisfaction rating. IOW, customers were leaving the dealer very satisfied with their sales process. The cars themselves were subpar in nearly every category.
This is correct. Saturn has gained many awards for their sale's practices... mainly because their process appeals to the average person who doesn't put the time, research, or effort into bargaining a good deal. However, their cars have always scored at the bottom of the list in comparisons and performance.
Old 09-17-09, 09:06 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I hope I didn't miss this topic but what happens with all of these returned unwanted cars?
sold as manager's special for 1/2 off???

Originally Posted by cherplex
I saw that commerical, the CEO of GM doing the commerical look and sounded like he had 60 days to live....
Old 09-17-09, 09:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is correct. Saturn has gained many awards for their sale's practices... mainly because their process appeals to the average person who doesn't put the time, research, or effort into bargaining a good deal. However, their cars have always scored at the bottom of the list in comparisons and performance.
Agreed, I know from personal experience friends (that had limited car knowledge, they were non-enthusiast types) that bought Saturns only once because of the decent sales practices, never returned to buy another Saturn due to mediocre car.

And Saturn sales practices were good. Even our local high-volume Honda dealer copied the practices for years with much better success than the Saturn dealer. And there lies the problem, innovative sales practices are a lot easier to copy than class-leading automotive products or superior vehicles.

But who cares about Saturn anymore, even with the remote possibility of Penske trying to buy this division for dirt cheap. This is about the few remaining divisions of GM and a 60 day guarantee.
Old 09-17-09, 11:09 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I hope I didn't miss this topic but what happens with all of these returned unwanted cars?
sold as manager's special for 1/2 off???

*cough*Mannheim*cough*Adesa*cough*

Or if the car can potentially be a money maker, they detail it and put up as a used car.
Old 09-17-09, 11:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Not only that. GM want's to drive sales. They need promotions, Toyota has Red Tag days and Lexus has promotions like December to remember...GM has their promotions.

Another thing. I have not seen a Lexus or Toyota win a MT or C&D comparo for a very long time....maybe dating back to 2003 with the LS430. However I have seen the new new Cadillac come out in front of the Lexus RX...Hynudai Genesis beat out the GS (edmunds I think)...F150 beat out the Tundra and I am not sure but I think the Malibu Hybrid beat out the Camry Hybrid...

Kudos for GM...putting their money where there mouth is....I frankly don't see Toyota/Lexus doing that.
What on earth r u talking about? American car mags r crap. Gm is desperate for sales they continue to rely on desperation tactics like employee pricing an now this.

Toyota is worth more than gm ford Chrysler Honda Nissan combined. Their money is where the product has been.

If gm continues to lose market share they will need another bailout.

Old 09-17-09, 11:35 PM
LexFather

As for Saturn it started out the gate fine.. Then gm jus squandered it. The redesigns were ugly bland and were not to Asian specs. Next thing we know it became a rebadge brand. a shame I used to love the SC1 and 2

Old 09-17-09, 11:44 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Conan said...

60 Days or the Lifetime of the vehicle, which ever comes first
Old 09-18-09, 12:26 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda also has the Year-End-Clearance-Event every August-September, with a barrage of TV ads.

Toyota is planning a marketing blitz...http://www.reuters.com/article/lates.../idUSN17231412
Old 09-18-09, 12:37 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skater
Like Conan said...

60 Days or the Lifetime of the vehicle, which ever comes first
lame