Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM to give 60 day guarantee on cars now...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 12:34 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GM to give 60 day guarantee on cars now...

http://www.freep.com/article/2009091...les-for-refund

Interesting, it looks like they are trying to duplicate Hyundai. But the catch here is that the car cannot have more than 4,000 miles on it and it doesn't cover accessories nor negative equity on a trade in.
Old 09-10-09, 12:37 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

So if it doesnt cover negative equity on a trade in, what would be the difference of just trading it in?
Old 09-10-09, 12:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Saturn, a GM (or, rather, an ex-GM) division, has always had a 30-day, 1000 mile money-back guarantee, for any reason, as long as there was no damage and the title was still clear. Technically, it covered the purchase price only, not taxes and tags, but I myself once returned a Saturn SL-2 coupe I factory-ordered that, when delivered, had shimmy problems that could not be repaired to my satisfaction (even after the service guys and I both worked on the car together). They refunded not only the purchase price but the tax/tags too. (I had an SL-2 sedan, though, that was excellent).

That 30-day money back feature has always been a strong selling point for Saturn (we'll see if Penske, Saturn's new owner, keeps that feature or not).

My guess is that GM is doing the 60-day program for two reasons....First, the loss of the Saturn division itself, and Second, as a public-relations move to help shore up public confidence after the bankrupcy.
Old 09-10-09, 01:13 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
So if it doesnt cover negative equity on a trade in, what would be the difference of just trading it in?
LOL!

I hope we're missing something otherwise GM is trying to pull a fast one.
Old 09-10-09, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YARIS!
LOL!

I hope we're missing something otherwise GM is trying to pull a fast one.
I don't think so. Trade-in value, and depreciation, means little if the entire purchase price is refunded (like Saturn used to do). That's zero depreciation.

Here's a quote from the article:
the guarantee covers the vehicle’s purchase price and sales tax
With a deal like this, you don't need the car for a trade-in itself......just hand the check right back to them and use it towards another new car that is more to your liking.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-10-09 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 01:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think so. Trade-in value, and depreciation, means little if the entire purchase price is refunded (like Saturn used to do). That's zero depreciation.
We're questioning how a "full refund" could be received if negative equity "isn't covered". Doesn't seem to make sense.
Old 09-10-09, 03:12 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if they need the business so bad, I'd rather see a 10 (or at least 5) year 100000 mile bumper to bumper warranty a lot more than a stupid 60 day money back guarantee. You know some people will just want to try then return....imagine a 60 day trial on a ZR1!?!?!?!?!
Old 09-10-09, 03:19 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

they want people to get a car, and return it so they can make money off the money it drops when it leaves the dealership!
Old 09-10-09, 04:33 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Is this for real? Many people would just use the car for thirty or fourty days and return it to the dealer as if it is a Walmart merchandise. I really like the Buick LaCrosse.
Old 09-10-09, 06:54 PM
LexFather

Government Motors no thanks

Old 09-10-09, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Government Motors no thanks
+1 - told someone today i will NEVER EVER buy a GM car, not after it's joint extortion with the government for $50 BILLION.

and i bet we haven't seen the last of the GM/Chryco bailouts either.

this gimmick is just that, as the hangover from [no]cash for clunkers is kicking in.
Old 09-10-09, 07:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
+1 - told someone today i will NEVER EVER buy a GM car, not after it's joint extortion with the government for $50 BILLION.

and i bet we haven't seen the last of the GM/Chryco bailouts either.

this gimmick is just that, as the hangover from [no]cash for clunkers is kicking in.
I want my free Vette or Camaro...I mean it is my money right? My money also bailed out the banks.

I literally feel like walking around with a video, going to a bank, going to a GM dealer and saying "hey you have my tax money, now give it back in a loan and a car".

I was at the bank yesterday and this lady tried to say "well we want all your money and business". She got a 10 minute lecture on the FED, banking system and how crooked they all were.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-10-09 at 07:18 PM.

Old 09-10-09, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I literally feel like walking around with a video, going to a bank, going to a GM dealer and saying "hey you have my tax money, now give it back in a loan and a car".
I can understand this in principle (and, granted, GM does make a few nice vehicles like the Malibu/Aura, Corvette, Enclave, and CTS), but, after owning a Lexus GS hybrid, one of the most refined and sophisticated cars in the market, I assume you are not serious about replacing it with a GM product.

I was at the bank yesterday and this lady tried to say "well we want all your money and business".
Do you have an account or CD with the bank? If you do, they're already GETTING your buisness....and using your money.
Old 09-10-09, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can understand this in principle (and, granted, GM does make a few nice vehicles like the Malibu/Aura, Corvette, Enclave, and CTS), but, after owning a Lexus GS hybrid, one of the most refined and sophisticated cars in the market, I assume you are not serious about replacing it with a GM product.
his point is he believe he's OWED a FREE gm car because of all the money they (by a sympathetic govt administration) stole from him and everyone else for several future generations.
Old 09-10-09, 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
his point is he believe he's OWED a FREE gm car because of all the money they (by a sympathetic govt administration) stole from him and everyone else for several future generations.
You guys are a little late to the game. GM stole money from ME way back in 1980, when I bought a Chevy Citation....hands-down, the most unreliable new car I ever bought. I liked its overall design, but, mechanically, it was awful. Even X-Body (Citation) unreliability, though, was overshadowed by the infamous 1984 Pontiac Fiero (which, fortunately, I did not own).......a classic ripoff if there ever was one. I've already described my Fiero test-drive in other posts.

If I got a new GM car free, though (unless it was a Malibu/Aura, which I really like), I'd probably trade it in on a new Subaru, BMW, or Lexus.......or possibly a Challenger (even though it has rather poor materials), if Dodge does that rumored run of lime-green or purple/Plum-Crazy SRT's next year like the ones I remember from high school 40 years ago.

Of course, Mike (1SICKLEX), with a new GM car, could sell it and use the cash to pay off the GS.....or the body shop, to change it to another color.

Quick Reply: GM to give 60 day guarantee on cars now...