Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Getting the Lexus treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-09, 01:12 PM
dunbar43
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the Lexus treatment?

First I want to say that I am a 17 year old high schooler who drives a 2002 GS300 with chrome rims and a chrome grill. I wanted to look at the new ISC, so I decided to get my friend and go to the local dealership, the Lexus store of Lexington. I pulled up in my car, got out and went to look at an IS, waiting for a salesman to quickly come out and ask if he could help in any way, as what car salesman are famous for, considering I've gone to a dealership with my parents and salesmen walk out before we exit the car. I would think at a Lexus dealership they would have outstanding service, especially for someone who already owns a Lexus, but I found out this was not the case. I waited for about 10 minutes and finally a salesman came out, and he wasn't very respectful.
I asked him if I could look at an ISC and he said they only had one and it was sold, but I could look at it and just not drive it, which was okay for me. He went to get the key and came back and I sat in the drivers seat and asked if I could put the top down, and he replied, "no, I'll do it." That was the second thing that pissed me off. Next I asked if I could get inside an IS250 and he said, "why? its the same as the convertible..." This was the last straw. I replied, "If I'm interested in an IS and I can't even sit in it, I'll go to another dealership and buy it from them." and I walked away.
The man didn't even know my age, and I look atleast 21. I was wearing dress pants, a dress shirt, and a tie, so I know I didn't look like I couldn't afford a car, and I drove up in a freaking lexus! Does anyone else find this ridiculous? I would think that a Lexus dealership would have great service, but now I would rather drive to Cincinnati for their dealership than go 5 miles down the road to bunch of @$$holes.
Old 09-11-09, 01:18 PM
LexFather

I've had a Lexus since 18 so I can relate....its not fair and not right but it is the way it is at a lot of dealerships, including Lexus. I think its asinine (sales) since you NEVER know who a potential customer is capable of. A lot of salesguys sadly don't really enjoy cars or their job, they are there to sell and see a kid and that is all.

Old 09-11-09, 01:27 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

Totally dependent on the salesmen at the dealership. They probably thought since your so young your parents bought it for you and your in no position to buy. Not saying its wrong or right to assume that but its really the salesmens call if they want to take you seriously or just humor you. If you have an issue talk to management, if not go to another Lexus dealership.
Old 09-11-09, 02:13 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its not just the Lexus treatment, its the BMW treatment, the Audi treatment and the MB treatment as well. Heck, I walk into a MB and no one talk to me for 20 minutes and I am not 18 years old
Old 09-11-09, 02:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Although owning a Lexus doesn't automatically give you the respect, I can see why the salesman was not so friendly. Even though that's not how you do business, I too would be reluctant if a 17 year old rolled into the dealership without his parents.

Last edited by GSteg; 09-11-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-11-09, 03:12 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^Friend had that happen to him at Newport Lexus while he was looking to buy the F when it came out. The salesman refused to let him buy the car because he looked young so he got so pissed he went to Beverly Hills Lexus and picked one up with no conflict. The following day he went back to Newport Lexus and walked up to the Sales Manager and told him the story and showed him the car with Bev Hills plates. Needless to say, that salesman got booted shortly after

Stereotyping is always a part of dealerships. Once in a while you're lucky to find people who really do love their jobs and help you as much as they can. Happens rarely at the ones in my area though...
Old 09-11-09, 03:55 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

^ Same exact thing happened when I bought my F. I went to the local dealership, sat down with the salesman. He had a huge markup on the thing. I then went to the renowned Spinelli dealership about an hour out of town and got an awesome deal, everything I wanted, and even some articles from the Lifestyle Collection (an IS F watch, hat, polo shirt, and duffel bag). Same thing happened when I wanted to buy the IS F aviator jacket... went to the local dealership; they wanted a $100 deposit and I'd lose it if the jacket didn't fit me. E-mailed the Spinelli dealer and they ordered the jacket without a problem, no deposit and I wouldn't have to buy it if it didn't fit.

You really have to realize that the dealership gets a lot of kids your age that simply come in, try out the car, bull**** a little and leave. In the business they have a name for these kinds of kids: test pilots. Blame the treatment you get on those your age that have been there before you.

PS: 21 is nowhere near the age where most people are shopping for brand new luxury sport sedans or convertibles.

Last edited by FisforFast; 09-11-09 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-11-09, 04:09 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

It just depends on the salesman, has nothing to do with the brand. The similar thing happened to me when I went to an Audi dealer a few years ago(in 2002 I think).
Old 09-11-09, 04:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had to click this thread when i saw "17 year old" in the mouse-over preview.
I was expecting to get a good laugh from this thread.

yeah. you looked too young.

When I was 16, my classmates thought I looked 32. thirty two! no bullsht.
so when you say you looked 21...... i have to roll my eyes at that one.

i don't know you. maybe you do look 21. But even kids who dress well have a juvenile demeanor...... and that's what makes salesmen reluctant to deal with you.

funny story. reminds me of myself when i was 16- went to las vegas and tried to gamble. within minutes, a security guy comes out and asks me my age. I say 21. he calls BS and tells me to leave.

Last edited by dunnojack; 09-11-09 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-11-09, 04:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Fortunately, there are salesmen out there that are worthy of their jobs. One time I went to a local Lexus dealer to look at LS430s for my father. I didn't expect to go that day...it was an impulse thing so we drove into the dealership. Mind you we were dressed like crap. Dirty shirts and basketball shorts. I looked very ghetto at the time (long story), but the salesman we had was TRULY helpful. Whichever car we pointed to, he threw us the keys without hesitation.

So many times we criticize bad salesmen that we forget how many good ones are out there really trying to make an honest living.
Old 09-11-09, 04:49 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

doesnt matter if u looked like you're 21
anyway if u're 17, and u test drove it and got into an accident
you could get away with it
so i guess the dealer wanted a potential buyer, and 21 doesnt seem to cut it
Old 09-11-09, 04:52 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

No matter the dealer or the salesperson I think they would have shied away from letting you test drive one given that you are still a minor and thus not legally responsible for your actions. If you totalled it I don't think their insurance would've reimbursed them.
Old 09-11-09, 04:58 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trixxx519
doesnt matter if u looked like you're 21
anyway if u're 17, and u test drove it and got into an accident
you could get away with it
so i guess the dealer wanted a potential buyer, and 21 doesnt seem to cut it

that salesman knows most 20 year olds won't be buying a $40000 car on their own.
Old 09-11-09, 06:24 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus does not have a 'treatment' for prospective buyers. However, they do have a 'treatment' when you write a check for one and drive off the lot in it. They'll give you gifts upon your purchase, give you a thorough overview explaining all the features, and whenever you return to the dealership for service, you'll enjoy luxury amenities such as refreshments and free Wi-Fi in a quiet room lined with leather plush, chairs.
Old 09-11-09, 08:05 PM
dunbar43
Driver

its not the fact that I'm 17, he didn't know that, he didn't know my age. If I had $50,000 in the bank, he wouldn't have known and I would've never bought a car from him because of how he treated me. I guess it just pisses me off that he treated me like crap when he didn't even know me, and for all he knows, my parents could've been buying the car and maybe I came to look and see what I liked. I didn't ask to test drive it, I wasn't even planning on it, but the fact that he wouldn't even let me get IN to an IS or press the button to lower the top on the ISC is what pissed me off the most.

This isn't the only time that dealership has had bad service either. My parents and I went last summer looking at an ES350 and the salesman was being wayyy too pushy about selling it and making statements about how great it was, and I actually corrected him on some of the statements that he made that turned out to be false. My dad told him he was also looking at an '08 TL and he claimed his parents had a TL and switched to an ES, has anyone else noticed how car salesmen frequently drive the cars you're looking at?

Quick Reply: Getting the Lexus treatment?