Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Once again, I walk from International Autos, Milwaukee for LAST TIME!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 09:12 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, this is getting pretty annoying.
Old 09-13-09, 12:08 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hope it all works out for you As long as your happy that is all that matters
Old 09-13-09, 02:21 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
Hope it all works out for you As long as your happy that is all that matters
Agree and good luck!

And also I enjoy reading responses in your threads.
Old 09-13-09, 02:23 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel you man, I am in the market for a Porsche C2S or a Cayman S. Just started the search recently and right now I feel so lost
Old 09-13-09, 03:35 PM
dr Lu
Driver

like many others..i thought you had settled on the shelby a long time ago

just get the new infiniti M...its unlikely you'll find anything or decide on anything by then
Old 09-15-09, 09:05 AM
teeder27
Rookie

Default International Auto

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
So as many know, I got shafted on an S5 purchase back in February.. so I've been hunting and finally drove in yesterday to test drive an M3 at International... it was a little too "pre-owned" for me, so I'm looking to lease a 3-series, one of my other top choices...

I told my guy specifically that I can keep my current car as is or lower my payments if I trade, and he goes to his manager (just like the S5, only BMW manager this time). Guy comes back with an astronomical payment. I laugh and say, "This isn't even in the ballpark."

Couple hours pass, my guy calls... "___ "miscalculated" your payment, it's now ___", which is my current payment. Again, lease rates considered, he's about $80/month higher than what we calculated based on current BMW NA lease rates and we included options and up-front money. I was in shock after giving these guys a second chance, a complete waste of time.

As you guys know, I do my homework so I went knowing the cars, payments, residuals, etc. Intl Auto has become notorious for SMs jacking pricing after getting to the final negotiations. This time though, I can't figure if it's my sales guy or the manager as he wanted me to commit to my trade amount FIVE times (and low-balled) before he said he'd try to get a lower price. Told him, "This is my 20th car, stop the rookie stuff".

I will not be setting foot there again, and will be sitting tight until spring time now. Disappointing, but my money, my choice... my patience grows...

Your dealings sound similar to mine with International Autos in Milwaukee. I was looking at the 08 Infiniti G37 Coupe when it first came out. I was in their dealership NUMEROUS times, driving the coupe numerous times and they would NEVER give me a price. I sat in their show room for 3 hours one time, while my salesman must have sat through an employee meeting with the sales manager, coming back with no price. I told them what options I wanted in the car and was told "you don't need those options, its just more stuff to break on the car, they make the car handle like crap, etc...." I got tired of dealing with them, even after asking for prices, I was told that I would get a call back later in the day with a price, once the sales manager was back in, or the servers were back up, or whatever other random excuse they could come up with. I ended up going to Safro in Glendale and was treated right. I ordered the car that I wanted, got a decent price on it and had outstanding customer service. I had to wait a little over 3 months for the car to come in, which was fine. I got a call the day before I was scheduled to accept delivery on the G from Safro, from International Auto's. It was my salesman, who wouldn't give me a price, asking if I was still interested in the G coupe. I told him that I ordered one from a different dealership and he said "thanks for wasting my time" and slammed down the phone. Shortly there after, I called the dealership back and spoke to the sales manager (who was completely worthless) and told him exactly why I didn't buy a car from them. 3 reasons I told him- 1- I could NEVER get a price on the car, 2- His salesman told me that options that I wanted were un-necessary and they would not get me car with those options, and 3- When I was told I would get a call back, the dealership or my salesman NEVER called me back. Once I told the sales manager that I was accepting delivery tomorrow on the car, He immediately offered a car with the supposed options that I wanted for invoice price and was begging for me to buy it, telling me that Safro, the dealership my car came from had a car get seriously damaged on a test drive and it was probably my car. BS. I told him that I was content with my deal with Safro and he continued to beg and told me to stop in so they could make it up to me. I let him go and have never looked back since. I will NEVER step foot on International's property ever again. The service that I received was beyond horrible. There is a reason that their Better Business Bureau rating is an "F".

Last time I checked, a customer like me, who comes into the dealership, wanting a car with EVERY option, is a salesman's dream. I could be mistaken though.
Old 09-15-09, 10:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moving along, blow that place off.

But I thought it was going to be a cash deal...............

But I thought a GT500 was in the works............
Old 09-15-09, 12:52 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Just wanted to share, and I will get WHAT I WANT FOR WHAT I WANT TO PAY... who wouldn't???
Obviously not otherwise you'd not have to start these threads...

I think rdgdawg deserves to be banned until he makes a purchase! haha j/k
Old 09-15-09, 01:07 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400

i have the ultimate starter kit for my man Russ.. I can sell you these two beauties for $175.00 shipped..

Ha haa.. luv ya buddy..

Take your time & let me know..
Old 09-15-09, 01:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't know why auto dealerships even bother to even hire regular salespeople if every deal has to be approved and signed off by the service manager like a nanny. Seems to me like a waste of time. If dealerships are going to operate like that, then just let the managers make the deals and do the paperwork themselves. And, even when all that is done, you still march into the buisness office for another big round of paper-signing from the Buisness Manager....and, usually, solicitations for additional aftermarket, dealer-backed stuff.

Saturn and Scion, IMO, really started something good with their policy of selling list-price only.......but even they have the 2-stage regular salespeople and sales managers. However, to their credit, they priced their cars reasonably and competitively to start with, and did away with endless haggling and negotiating, making the auto-buying process a much simpler, more pleasant process. While it does away with some discountes/rebates, it also prevents dealer price-gouging on models where demand exceed supply. IMO, the whole industry should adopt this policy. You would have a lot more satisfied customers.
The Saturn way of buying a car has a downside. It does not reward the saavy buyer who wants an amazing deal. With the bargaining taken away, he/she cannot squeeze out every dollar from the deal.
So for those who go the extra mile and know how to bargain effectively, the Saturn way of buying is a hinderance. For the average person, it's probably decent enough.
Old 09-15-09, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Saturn way of buying a car has a downside. It does not reward the saavy buyer who wants an amazing deal. With the bargaining taken away, he/she cannot squeeze out every dollar from the deal.
So for those who go the extra mile and know how to bargain effectively, the Saturn way of buying is a hinderance. For the average person, it's probably decent enough.

True, the Saturn/Scion method does not allow bargaining for the last dollar off, but you are forgetting that there are two advantages to the list-only policy. First, it does not allow dealer mark-ups or price gouging on vehicles in high demand/short supply (the new Camaro, for instance, is a perfect example), and, Second, Saturn and Scion vehicles are priced reasonably and competitively to start with, so there is no NEED for large discounts.

A number of car buyers have grumbled about what you just brought up, but fail to think of the advantages that I just mentioned. The look at only one side of the issue. If they were trying to buy a new Camaro or Shelby Mustang, for instance, with mark-ups 40% above list, they'd wish they HAD the Saturn list-only policy.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-15-09 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 09:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, the Saturn/Scion method does not allow bargaining for the last dollar off, but you are forgetting that there are two advantages to the list-only policy. First, it does not allow dealer mark-ups or price gouging on vehicles in high demand/short supply (the new Camaro, for instance, is a perfect example), and, Second, Saturn and Scion vehicles are priced reasonably and competitively to start with, so there is no NEED for large discounts.

A number of car buyers have grumbled about what you just brought up, but fail to think of the advantages that I just mentioned. The look at only one side of the issue. If they were trying to buy a new Camaro or Shelby Mustang, for instance, with mark-ups 40% above list, they'd wish they HAD the Saturn list-only policy.
You are right, it does prevent price gouging with popular models when they first come out. But how much of that is the % of those who purchase a new car? I don't think most people are in the market for the models which sell at or above sticker.

While we are on this interesting topic, I recall a while back Saturn dealers were charging above the set price on Saturn Sky's when they first debuted and were in short supply. The arguement was at the time, there was nothing that could stop a retailer from adding on the extra charges. Someone (GM?) had to step and regulate the situation, but it went on for a while if I recall. Once it was resolved, some Saturn dealers reverted to adding "$7000" rim packages and every accessory in the catalog at a 500% mark-up.
Old 09-16-09, 04:13 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by teeder27
Your dealings sound similar to mine with International Autos in Milwaukee. I was looking at the 08 Infiniti G37 Coupe when it first came out. I was in their dealership NUMEROUS times, driving the coupe numerous times and they would NEVER give me a price. I sat in their show room for 3 hours one time, while my salesman must have sat through an employee meeting with the sales manager, coming back with no price. I told them what options I wanted in the car and was told "you don't need those options, its just more stuff to break on the car, they make the car handle like crap, etc...." I got tired of dealing with them, even after asking for prices, I was told that I would get a call back later in the day with a price, once the sales manager was back in, or the servers were back up, or whatever other random excuse they could come up with. I ended up going to Safro in Glendale and was treated right. I ordered the car that I wanted, got a decent price on it and had outstanding customer service. I had to wait a little over 3 months for the car to come in, which was fine. I got a call the day before I was scheduled to accept delivery on the G from Safro, from International Auto's. It was my salesman, who wouldn't give me a price, asking if I was still interested in the G coupe. I told him that I ordered one from a different dealership and he said "thanks for wasting my time" and slammed down the phone. Shortly there after, I called the dealership back and spoke to the sales manager (who was completely worthless) and told him exactly why I didn't buy a car from them. 3 reasons I told him- 1- I could NEVER get a price on the car, 2- His salesman told me that options that I wanted were un-necessary and they would not get me car with those options, and 3- When I was told I would get a call back, the dealership or my salesman NEVER called me back. Once I told the sales manager that I was accepting delivery tomorrow on the car, He immediately offered a car with the supposed options that I wanted for invoice price and was begging for me to buy it, telling me that Safro, the dealership my car came from had a car get seriously damaged on a test drive and it was probably my car. BS. I told him that I was content with my deal with Safro and he continued to beg and told me to stop in so they could make it up to me. I let him go and have never looked back since. I will NEVER step foot on International's property ever again. The service that I received was beyond horrible. There is a reason that their Better Business Bureau rating is an "F".

Last time I checked, a customer like me, who comes into the dealership, wanting a car with EVERY option, is a salesman's dream. I could be mistaken though.
About the same here... amazing!!! I spent two hours there with the sales guy saying the manager knew I was coming, none to be found while I was in person, then the Games begin once I leave.... I won't be back...

Originally Posted by meowCat
That was so funny, HA HA HA HA HA...
I have to say, I am flattered that several people can spend time and keep up with my car purchase debacle by recalling all my threads.... kudos!!!

Sadly (for those specifically), your entertainment will be postponed until spring... have a nice winter
Old 09-16-09, 04:30 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Moving along, blow that place off.

But I thought it was going to be a cash deal...............

But I thought a GT500 was in the works............
It was, test drive wasn't impressive and lost allotment, special order and WI winter coming soon meant not driving until March at earliest. Was to be and still plan on cash deal... cash for M3 (which was too "pre-owned")... BMW was running 3-series special lease deal... numbers weren't close to what we already discussed and they emailed me. Ultimately, I'd keep the M, would lease the 328x (combo daily/winter driving).

Originally Posted by 92 SC400

Thx!! Figured I would've been banned, the mods cut me a break because my tribulations are too entertaining....

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
i have the ultimate starter kit for my man Russ.. I can sell you these two beauties for $175.00 shipped..

Ha haa.. luv ya buddy..

Take your time & let me know..
Thx Shock...actually drove both, liked the M6 better... but neither is quite for me... strong pricing tho!!!
Old 09-16-09, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
You are right, it does prevent price gouging with popular models when they first come out. But how much of that is the % of those who purchase a new car? I don't think most people are in the market for the models which sell at or above sticker.

While we are on this interesting topic, I recall a while back Saturn dealers were charging above the set price on Saturn Sky's when they first debuted and were in short supply. The arguement was at the time, there was nothing that could stop a retailer from adding on the extra charges. Someone (GM?) had to step and regulate the situation, but it went on for a while if I recall. Once it was resolved, some Saturn dealers reverted to adding "$7000" rim packages and every accessory in the catalog at a 500% mark-up.

What the Saturn "retailers" (they don't call them "dealerships") were originally doing with the Sky is adding factory-approved dealer accessories and charging for them. That is perfectly legal, as long as they remain within the Saturn accessory pricing structure. If they don't, the factory steps in, and if they still don't, they can lose their Saturn franchise. I pointed that out at a couple of Saturn shops a couple of years ago when shopping with a friend for a Solstice/Sky. Since Saturn is now under new management, what Penske will (now) do with Saturn's pricing structure, and how he will deal with the retailers remains to be seen. I have not been impressed, however, by the way he has handled the Smart-for-Two franchise, though, with their paltry 2-year warranties.

Quick Reply: Once again, I walk from International Autos, Milwaukee for LAST TIME!!