Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Lexus and the "F" line
Just leave it at the IS-F
11.48%
I have big balls!!!
13.11%
Only the cars should have a "F"
31.15%
All Lexus vehicles should have a "F" version
31.15%
You can choose more than one, I put that here so u would read that
4.92%
Hybrids ftw!!!
8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

1SICKLBLOG: Why the "F" lineup expansion is a no brainer & I want my balls back

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 07:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The F line needs to establish a racing pedigree ala Caddy V, AMG, M, RS before it. Enthusiasts who flock to such vehicles want a race car for the streets. What is there to laud about F a few magazine articles? Get this car in ALMS and take on the Rahal M3 GTR..
Old 09-14-09, 08:21 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ For once I'd actually agree with dashocker, but at the end of the day, it comes down to marketing because none of those guys, bar the Caddy do any actual racing anymore. If you are gonna say that they inherit it from the parent's companies racing pedigree, then Toyota has that in spades.

I think only the sports sedans (IS, GS) and coupes (SC, hopefully someday an entry level -think Z4, SLK- roadster) and obviously the flagship LF A ought to be truly full blown F cars. ES....waste of time... nobody biys an ES looking to be sporty. Every thing else, an "F-sport" model should suffice, and would actually be a pretty good idea.

Lexus, please don't waste time and do an RX F or whatever. the X5/6M and Cayenne are simply retarded. The only vehicle than can pull that concept off nicely is the RR sport, and that thing chugs fuel like if it was a renewable resource.

C'mon Lexus, step up to the plate.
Old 09-14-09, 08:44 AM
LexFather

Thing is, its clear the IS-F hasn't been raced and we got reports it was selling as well as the M3....Most of these owners and prospective buyers of all these cars don't watch or care and the Lexus owner even will be less into racing.

The SC 430 has raced in SuperGT for nearly a decade and well, it doesn't matter.

So has the IS350 been raced in SuperGT

The GS 450h has been raced and it doesn't matter.

Track performance doesn't equate to sales in this segment, though it COULD help. Big "Could" though.

Lexus has won its Rolex Grand Am series and well, it doesn't matter to sales

Team Lexus won a few races and well, it didn't matter to sales

Its clear today its not about racing, more so image. That is why BMW will sell 100,000 M3s this go round. That is why manu-matics, automatics are offered and not manuals only. FOR SALES. Its the reason we get a 5000 lbs X6 and X5 M. For sales.

Since people are buying AMG/RS/M cars irregardless of racing heritage or success, it only makes sense for Lexus to join in.

Old 09-14-09, 11:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with almost everything you said SICK, except the following:

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm not entirely sure if its a great thing or a bad thing that the IS-F began as a skunkworks project with only a few people working on it. The reason is the IS-F is rather focused for a Lexus and only had a few people working on it. While I do want more "F" cars, I am slightly scared it will become a big company initiative with more people and bean counters more involved. Its clear the IS-F wasn't meant to be produced but here it is, a legitimate player in its class. I like the focus from a few people. We don't want consumer questionnaire "F" products.
Just to clarify, the LF-A project has been a MASSIVE undertaking for Toyota. Billions of dollars spend in R&D, 6 years now of development. The only other Lexus model I can think of that took this much money and this long is the original LS400.

Toyota's top engineers from every corner and division of the company have worked on the LF-A at one point or another. Toyota's F1 team has been directly involved with the development of the LF-A.

A project such as the LF-A simply would not be possible if it was some small skunkworks development.

Although the IS-F was initially a skunkworks car, this is both good and bad. Good that it is a focused car, bad that it has quite a few rough edges. Since IS-F sales have been good, and now that the IS-F has full backing from Toyota instead of being a skunkworks-only project, we have things such as an LSD being added to the IS-F, and the rumored "IS F R" project.

As my sig states, Akio Toyoda doesn't like figures or documents. Akio is not a bean counter, and he will be running Toyota for the next 4-5 years. You can be sure that the F cars will remain very focused. Just like in the past, the Toyoda family is more involved in the company right now.

I will also say that Lexus should only make F-versions of cars, and the sportiest cars at that. I say there should definitely be no HS-F, RX-F, or anything like that. At the very most, maybe an LS-F, but even then is stretching it.

I would keep the lineup at a GS-F, IS-F, LF-A, SC-F (and possibly LS-F). Also Lexus definitely needs to have F-versions of a GS sedan and coupe, as well as an IS-F coupe.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The F line needs to establish a racing pedigree ala Caddy V, AMG, M, RS before it. Enthusiasts who flock to such vehicles want a race car for the streets. What is there to laud about F a few magazine articles? Get this car in ALMS and take on the Rahal M3 GTR..
Both the LF-A and IS-F have participated in the 24 Hours of Nurburgring race ... twice, and the LF-A has not even been released yet!

With a 9000 RPM V10, and a huge amount of race testing already, the LF-A will be pretty close to a race car for the streets.

Also, rumors are strong that Toyota will enter Le Mans with the LF-A. You can also bet that the Lexus SC430 in Super GT will be replaced by the LF-A.
Old 09-14-09, 12:27 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
RX-F would be interesting. Better than ES-F anyway.
I want an HS-F. Drive THAT around in Eco mode.
Old 09-14-09, 12:38 PM
duboseq
Pole Position

Come on Lexus!!!! For every ///M or AMG offering let there be a Lexus in the mix as a competitor!

The first attempt which is the IS-F was definatley worthy of praise!

Last edited by duboseq; 09-14-09 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 12:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give me an F !
Old 09-14-09, 12:46 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

@1 sick.. the SCs only just replaced the Supras in 2006. The IS was entered last year... just saying

@TRD... doubt the LF A will replace the SC in super GT.
Old 09-14-09, 12:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1

What makes you think that? Before the SC, Toyota had the Supra in GT500. Nissan entered their new GT-R into Super GT. Honda has raced the NSX in Super GT for ages. Unless Toyota plans on entering a production FT-HS, or whatever the rumored mid-market sports car will be, I don't really see the SC staying in Super GT for a long time. I would expect the LF A to replace it, assuming no Toyota sports cars replace the SC.
Old 09-14-09, 01:04 PM
duboseq
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Give me an F !

F!!
Old 09-14-09, 02:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
@1 sick.. the SCs only just replaced the Supras in 2006. The IS was entered last year... just saying

Thanks for the correction

Old 09-14-09, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Give me an F !
An F? No, you're worth a little more than that. I'll give you an A-plus for responding to each post directed at you, an A-minus for automotive knowledge, and a B-Plus for automotive sense/discernment.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-09 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 03:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
An F? No, you're worth a little more than that. I'll give you an A-plus for responding to each post directed at you, an A-minus for automotive knowledge, and a B-Plus for automotive sense/discernment.
Thanks, but I wanna be graded on a curve, in sports car country.

Let's keep pushing Lexus to deliver.
Old 09-14-09, 11:15 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What makes you think that? Before the SC, Toyota had the Supra in GT500. Nissan entered their new GT-R into Super GT. Honda has raced the NSX in Super GT for ages. Unless Toyota plans on entering a production FT-HS, or whatever the rumored mid-market sports car will be, I don't really see the SC staying in Super GT for a long time. I would expect the LF A to replace it, assuming no Toyota sports cars replace the SC.
Well for one, and most importantly, there is no need to market it in that arena. Secondly, the Supra was entered first in 1995, one year after the inception of JGTC... aka super GT. It went out of production in 2002, and was not retired from super GT until a full 4 years later, when it was replaced by the SC. The cars just got a new chassis this year, I really don't see them changing that for a while to come... maybe 2-3 years down the line, probably to be replaced by the next SC, or indeed if they do decide to bring to market the FT-HS. At the lower level GT300, they just started with the IS and Corolla Axio.. both will be around for a while as well.... The MR-S was around since ~2000, and before that the MR-2... my point is, Toyota usually runs their JGTC cars for 5-7 years.

Nissan has to market their new GT-R. Honda does not have a car to replace the NSX.
Old 09-14-09, 11:19 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

p.s. Project Bandoh racing's, Wedsport IS350 is on track to win the GT300 championship this year...tied for first, 2 races to go. Knock on wood!

Quick Reply: 1SICKLBLOG: Why the "F" lineup expansion is a no brainer & I want my balls back