Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Lexus and the "F" line
Just leave it at the IS-F
11.48%
I have big balls!!!
13.11%
Only the cars should have a "F"
31.15%
All Lexus vehicles should have a "F" version
31.15%
You can choose more than one, I put that here so u would read that
4.92%
Hybrids ftw!!!
8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

1SICKLBLOG: Why the "F" lineup expansion is a no brainer & I want my balls back

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 04:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
p.s. Project Bandoh racing's, Wedsport IS350 is on track to win the GT300 championship this year...tied for first, 2 races to go. Knock on wood!

Old 09-15-09, 12:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The F treatment works well ON SPORTY CARS like the IS....it would be great on the SC...GS hummm maybe....but LS no ES no RX no GX no LX no
Old 09-15-09, 02:59 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
The F treatment works well ON SPORTY CARS like the IS....it would be great on the SC...GS hummm maybe....but LS no ES no RX no GX no LX no
This. Unless the LX/GX Fs are off-road racers... lol lol lol lol
Old 09-15-09, 03:15 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The IS-F is a sales failure in most markets so why would Lexus expand the line? Sporty and high performance are not what Lexus does well. The IS-F is too expensive to compete with cars like the WRX and not fast enough to compete with the AMG and M3. My preference for a high performance Lexus would be to keep the luxury and good ride, but add a high output engine. Rough ride to get marginal handling is not what sells cars in the Lexus price range. Look at the AMG series which only have automatic transmissions and are not nearly as sporty as the equivalent BMW M cars.
Steve
Old 09-15-09, 03:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The IS-F is a sales failure in most markets so why would Lexus expand the line? Sporty and high performance are not what Lexus does well. The IS-F is too expensive to compete with cars like the WRX and not fast enough to compete with the AMG and M3. My preference for a high performance Lexus would be to keep the luxury and good ride, but add a high output engine. Rough ride to get marginal handling is not what sells cars in the Lexus price range. Look at the AMG series which only have automatic transmissions and are not nearly as sporty as the equivalent BMW M cars.
Steve
1. Do you anything to support your statement the IS-F is a sales failure in most markets?
2. The WRX? Really?
3. Its faster than the M3 fyi
4. AMG cars have proven to be pretty much on par with M cars if you haven't heard. The "M" automatic win/sportier advantage is pretty much lost. The M3 seems sportier than everything but the M5 and M6 have not fared so well in comparos. The X5 and X6 M will have their hands full with the Cayenne Turbo S.

Sporty and Lexus is something Lexus has done well, its just overshadowed by the usual ES/LS/RX vehicles. They are trying to extend this sport with F-sport parts and the IS-F, which are superb to drive.

Old 09-15-09, 03:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Well for one, and most importantly, there is no need to market it in that arena. Secondly, the Supra was entered first in 1995, one year after the inception of JGTC... aka super GT. It went out of production in 2002, and was not retired from super GT until a full 4 years later, when it was replaced by the SC. The cars just got a new chassis this year, I really don't see them changing that for a while to come... maybe 2-3 years down the line, probably to be replaced by the next SC, or indeed if they do decide to bring to market the FT-HS. At the lower level GT300, they just started with the IS and Corolla Axio.. both will be around for a while as well.... The MR-S was around since ~2000, and before that the MR-2... my point is, Toyota usually runs their JGTC cars for 5-7 years.

Nissan has to market their new GT-R. Honda does not have a car to replace the NSX.
Toyota historically always had their top coupe model in GT500, looking back over the years. If they release a production FT-HS, that will likely replace the SC in a few years. If not, then the LF-A would be a logical replacement since the LF-A will be Toyota's top coupe among all it's brands.

Having the LF-A in GT500 would be a great way to market the car in Asia. As for the rest of the world, Le Mans comes to mind.

Even if they do replace the SC with the LF-A or a mid-market Toyota sports car, it probably won't be for 2-3 years at the earliest.

Steve
Do you have any proof whatsoever to back up that statement? There is plenty of proof out there that points to the contrary.
Old 09-15-09, 03:49 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve
This is entire post is complete and total FAIL!

Obviously has zero idea what they are talking about.
Old 09-15-09, 08:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Those were troll-like comments with no value, who needs that.
Old 09-16-09, 05:06 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Any idea how many IS-F's they sold? Because they havent sold that many in my area since its more of an 50-65 age group area... The only reason I wouldnt get the IS-F is because of experience making these kind of cars.. The M cars have been coming for maybe 2 decades now.. But maybe after 2-3 years I will buy one after I see a few on the road.
Old 09-16-09, 09:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The IS-F is popular in this area (SF and south bay area).
Old 09-16-09, 08:55 PM
LexFather

we had some figures posted that at one point it was selling as well as the m3. The best selling m3 oddly is the convertible!

Where is Henry

Old 09-16-09, 09:34 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

The IS-F is a great car sure it doesnt have the same grunt as the C63 or the same driving dynamics as the M3 but comes pretty damn close and since its around 50k mark its quite a bargin too. Remember when the is was in the works they did not plan for a highperformance variant what so ever it just basicly showed up, on the hand when merc and bmw where making the c and 3 they new that they were going to make amg and m varients so the chassi was designed diffrently. You could almost say that IS-F is like a ls1 240sx, it was made with some grunt from the factory and than you get tuners that thow in a big v8 and rework the suspension to make it handle ok but its no ferrari. Thats why the next gen IS-F will be a way better car because it will be made with a big v8 in mind.