Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Caddy Test drive Event NYC with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 10:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't understand. if the accelerator is stuck on a floor mat, it's stuck whether it's mechanically connected to the throttle body or not.
Right, in that case it would be stuck whether its mechanical or computerized, however if your transmission shifter is mechanically linked to the transmission, you can always switch to neutral.

But besides that, a mechanical throttle cable connection is far less likely to fail than electronics.
Old 09-13-09, 11:12 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review Dash!

Without being able to comment on the SRX, I'd pick the RX, X5 3.0 and then GLK in order. I'm not sure why the X5 was in this mix, however. Isn't the X3 the true competitor?
Old 09-14-09, 04:56 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If the X5 wasn't priced so high, I would take an X5 in a second, i'm sure it's driving experience will knock all the rest out but with that sticker price i'll pass. But the RX > SRX & GLK. I don't see myself opening up to a GM car even though their interior quality has improved lately and the Benz well, give me an M-Class instead of a GLK.
Old 09-14-09, 06:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Nice review Dash!

Without being able to comment on the SRX, I'd pick the RX, X5 3.0 and then GLK in order. I'm not sure why the X5 was in this mix, however. Isn't the X3 the true competitor?
The X3 should of been in the mix as it is in the same class & price point as the others. It would still be the most expensive of the bunch as the X5 once equipped. The X5 did drive the best out of the bunch & is bigger inside & out than the others.. An event official mentioned to me that this SRX's true competitor is the Lexus RX. As mentioned, the Caddy has the motor smoothness & suspension on point. But, the light steering just ruins the driving experience for me.. The ride in the Lexus RX on par with my 2002 Rav4 with similar steering feel. If you've ever driven a Rav4, the suspension is firm and compliant but not Euro in feel. It is not bad but it is not like a Euro suspension. A Euro tuned suspension for those who are unaware feels like one unit.. If you were to drive over some bumps the vehicle feels like one solid piece not 2 halves.. The Caddy is close but does not drive the like Euro suvs.. GM can nail the steering & suspension on this vehicle considering products like the Vette & CTS-V that drive like the Germans..

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 09-14-09 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-14-09, 07:24 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
DASHOCKER, thanks very much for the excellent write-up and pictures.
No problem

very interesting on the SUVs.
GLK seems more like an expensive Rav4 competitor This thing is small.. I maxxed out on the seat adjustment just to prevent my knees from hitting the bottom of the steering wheel (I'm 6'4)
RX is not meant to be a 'fun' vehicle, but besides the look of the front and the weird asymmetric center dash, i think Lexus has done a great job. that nav screen looks a mile away from the driver, did it feel that way?The nav screen is too small for this vehicle and has very poor resolution. This nav is very similar to the old Magellan Roadmate 300 (white background with funky text). This is a 2010 model year luxury vehicle & should have an HD quality screen that is larger in size.
X5 is nice, but my goodness that price Value quotient is not the X5's claim to fame.. Prices add up quickly when there are options added.. The Caddy & the RX come with a ton of standard equipment. Standard gizmos & luxo goodies is the hallmark of better value.
the SRX looks GREAT outside. inside, i'm wondering why a modern car needs a GIANT gear shift lever - it's not like there needs to be any mechanical connection usually! it just wastes space. and not a fan of the acre of silver plastic in the middle.Yes this vehicle has painted silver plastic on the dash.. Why not real aluminum like Mercedes & BMW?

anyway, thanks again!
Your welcome..

The next driving event will be ___________
Old 09-14-09, 11:42 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like how the nav screen pops out from the dash of the caddy, that's the best looking interior compared to the rest IMO
Old 09-14-09, 02:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good back-to-back comparisons.
Old 09-14-09, 06:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Good write-up there. These events are always a win-win situation.

One question about the "rough" RX engine. The last gen used the same motor. So do you mean the RX330's motor or the body before (RX300) or ?