Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW's "Infotainment" to be revealed @ Frankfurt show

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 07:18 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default BMW's "Infotainment" to be revealed @ Frankfurt show

Home pc behind the wheel

Munich, 14.09.2009 - These days, the success of any mobile phone is determined not least of all by the availability and range of "apps", or applications. It is primarily these numerous little extra programs, which can be subsequently downloaded, that provide the greatest use. BMW is presenting its Concept BMW Application Store at the Frankfurt Motor Show (IAA). It is the world's first carmaker to demonstrate the fundamental possibility of downloading and storing individual applications either from the car at any time on the move or from your PC at home. It means that, as with a mobile phone, the car can be adapted to the needs and interests of its occupants for the first time, thus benefiting from almost limitless personalisation. The Concept BMW Application Store is a further innovative highlight of BMW ConnectedDrive.

At the touch of a navigation system button.

Conceivable examples of this are - as in the showcase -multimedia travel guides from MERIAN, Geowiki, games, web radio, podcasts, Facebook®, XING and Twitter®. In addition to this scope for individualisation, another stand-out feature of the visionary Concept BMW Application Store is the ability to transfer contact data such as addresses or telephone numbers to the navigation system or mobile phone at the touch of a button. The information is displayed in suitable adapted form by the vehicle's HMI (Human Machine Interface), i.e. its operating logic. In practical terms, this means that, via the menu path "BMW Services", "Application Store", "On the road", customers can download digital travel information and tips from MERIAN (as audio guides in audio book quality or in picture and text form) on points of interest, hotels, restaurants and leisure/nightlife options, manage contacts on "social networks", and receive and compose tweets - all without leaving the car. Plus, the menu item "Entertainment" leads the user to options including podcasts and a "guess the origin of the licence plate" quiz.

Applications draw on car-related data.

Applications from the Concept BMW Application Store of BMW ConnectedDrive draw on information from the vehicle. With the BMW applications for XING and Twitter®, for example, the car's position is taken from the navigation system and, if the system is actively guiding the car to a destination, information about the destination time and location are used. Beyond that, the future use of numerous other vehicle data for BMW applications is conceivable, e.g. acceleration or braking data.

Always at the cutting edge of development.

In the future, vehicle occupants could be supplied with a constant stream of new and interesting applications to download from the visionary Concept BMW Application Store. It may also be possible to download software to the car at any time while on the move. In this way the vehicle would be kept up-to-dAbout BMW ConnectedDrive.

Under the overall concept of BMW ConnectedDrive, BMW assembles a unique portfolio of innovations which enhance comfort, allow infotainment to be experienced at a new level and significantly improve safety in a BMW. Here BMW ConnectedDrive stands for the exchange of information between the driver, the vehicle and the environment. Whether it's the latest traffic reports, e-mails, emergency call function, Night Vision with pedestrian recognition, BMW Routes, the Internet or telephone information services - the comfort, infotainment and safety systems on board a BMW provide the driver with as much information and as many services as are needed and desired at any time. That's because BMW ConnectedDrive bundles all the functions available to the driver that make Sheer Driving Pleasure an even more comfortable, safe and intensive experience. Further information is avalaible on the Internet at www.bmw.com/connecteddrive.
Old 09-14-09, 07:43 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh no, now all the young spoiled girls I see around my neighborhood can tag their friends on facebook while driving the spanking new BMW their parents bought them
Old 09-14-09, 08:42 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol the new idrive is certainly very impressive. I love the widescreen, the digital instruments of such things like engine oil, coolant, and I love the 3D view with topography
Old 09-14-09, 08:48 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can just see the twitter updates from your typical BMW blond "OMG!!! I just got into a accident trying to figure out this iDrive thing, the impact of the crash landed me on twitter"
Old 09-14-09, 09:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

seriously now that sounds a bit dangerous
Old 09-14-09, 09:18 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Just.....................why?
Old 09-14-09, 10:04 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
I can just see the twitter updates from your typical BMW blond "OMG!!! I just got into a accident trying to figure out this iDrive thing, the impact of the crash landed me on twitter"
lmao that is hilarious, but unfortunately a likely reality.
Old 09-14-09, 10:26 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Nothing good is going to come from stupid facebook and stupid twitter being available via iDrive.

I think I'm angry about this ... yes, yes I am actually angry. I'm so happy my M3 wont have that.

... and GAMES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WHY DO YOU NEED/WANT GAMES WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! like really, why not play a simulated driving game inside the car, that makes perfect sense.
Old 09-15-09, 01:06 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the tech is cool, besides not all those features has be used by the driver instead the passenger!
Old 09-15-09, 01:07 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the next step is to design a hide away keyboard for full Internet Access.
Old 09-15-09, 02:26 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

is this the future of automotive industry? is it gonna be just a plethora of gadgets? we don't NEED this nonsense! i would rather keep my '08 IS then buy a bicycle when it dies.
Old 09-15-09, 03:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Horrible, horrible, horrible. I wonder how many accidents this crap will cause.
Old 09-15-09, 04:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mikez
Oh no, now all the young spoiled girls I see around my neighborhood can tag their friends on facebook while driving the spanking new BMW their parents bought them
LMFAO
Originally Posted by bad co
lmfao LMFAO LMFAO

Its cool tech but yeah, each year they become less driving machines and more living rooms.

Old 09-15-09, 06:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Certain applications will be functional once the vehicle is in park & the parking brake lever pulled up ala watching movies via DVD in the 09's.. These applications will be available for 09 & up vehicles with the new I-drive interface.
Old 09-15-09, 07:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 735 Likes on 506 Posts

They should just put a sensor in the passenger seat that detects when someone is there (like the seat belt sensor). When that sensor is triggered, have more of the features unlocked. If you put a bag of rice there to set off the sensor and wind up in an accident you're fully at fault even if you're rear ended

Quick Reply: BMW's "Infotainment" to be revealed @ Frankfurt show