Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Floor Mat Safety Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 05:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
FYI, when the car is not in park, the start/stop button must be pressed for 3 seconds to shut the engine off.
Putting the tranny in neutral is safer than shutting the engine off, you would still have power steering and brakes.
Old 09-16-09, 06:50 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah...as others have said, throw the car in neutral and let the engine blow itself up (worst case scenario)
Old 09-16-09, 06:57 AM
immax01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
Yeah...as others have said, throw the car in neutral and let the engine blow itself up (worst case scenario)
I would say that would be the 2nd worst case scenario. The WORST case scenario would be flying off an embankment at 120mph... But we know what you meant...
Old 09-16-09, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Putting the tranny in neutral is safer than shutting the engine off, you would still have power steering and brakes.
.......until the engine overspeeds bad enough and siezes up, and then there go the power brakes, after a few pump,s when the vaccum is used up. Power brakes, without the assist, are NOT like the old, non-power brakes of years ago, When the assist is lost, the effort is much, MUCH higher.

If the car has an electric power-steering pump, however, as more and more cars do today, you might still have steering assist after the alternator goes out, though, if the battery isn't too low.
Old 09-16-09, 09:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scary situation for sure. Help me understand how the mat results in the accelerator pedal being floored or depressed.....
Old 09-16-09, 09:59 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
The engine will be bouncing off the rev limiter with no load.
Old 09-16-09, 10:05 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

And by the time the engine overloads, you're probably at a stop already.
Old 09-16-09, 10:10 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Yeah, even till this day that I remembered in HS driver's ed, they tell you to shift into neutral, turn on your hazard, honk your horns, and look for shrubberies....things that can help slow you down.
Old 09-16-09, 10:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ducker-trd
Moral of the story- Make sure u always have anchors on ur floor mats, IN THE DAMN HOLE on the mat, and make sure u never put riced out pedal overlays on.
And do not buy floor mats from Kmart that do not fit.
Old 09-16-09, 10:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
And by the time the engine overloads, you're probably at a stop already.
agree, if you can't stop by then, you have serious brake issues to begin with
Old 09-16-09, 10:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When i was young and dumb i had a set of those hella lame pedal overlays that glowed at night on my gas, and brake pedal. One day on the highway my accelerator got stuck under the floor mat cause of the increased width of the pedal, and the brake pedal had folds of mat under it like someone else said on this thread. The second the condition happened at 80+ I went into complete panic mode. Everone saying, "why didnt he just turn the car off!" Well turning the car off would kill the power steering, and honestly that thought did not cross my mind in the midst of panic, and fear! I tried to slam on brakes which did not work cause when u slammed on brake it caused the gas to go down more cause of how the mats was all tangled up. That overrode the power of the brakes and the car continued increasing speed. It would not slow down. Car got up to 100+ as I was about to hit car in front of me. Once I looked down and realized what was going on I had to reach down and pull the mat with force. If the road was curving or anything but a straight line I don't think i could have looked down. It was crazy. I could imagine someone else in the situation not doing the right thing in the critical panic seconds. Even a CHP cop.

After hearing the story of the family in cali I had shivers for a while. And hearing that the car went OC off road I was thinking it might have been when the cop realized the mat was tangled, and took his eyes off the road to try to pull it out.

Moral of the story- Make sure u always have anchors on ur floor mats, IN THE DAMN HOLE on the mat, and make sure u never put riced out pedal overlays on.
Well, this is absolutely true, when you're in a panic mode, you're not thinking straight. It is much easier to make suggestions on the internet then being in the actual situation, however it also goes back to the fact that it is way too easy to get your driving license in this country these days. Before you get your driving license, they should require you to learn how to deal with such situations and other mechanical break downs.
Old 09-16-09, 10:52 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it takes a bit of time to get up to 120MPH, if he had time to call 911 couldn't he have put the car in neutral and use the emergency brake? This was not just an average driver, it was a cop who must have had some defensive driving classes or emergency course training right, at the very least shouldn't cops have some type of panic training so they make good decisions in emergencies?

Last edited by toy4two; 09-16-09 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-16-09, 11:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Well, this is absolutely true, when you're in a panic mode, you're not thinking straight. It is much easier to make suggestions on the internet then being in the actual situation, however it also goes back to the fact that it is way too easy to get your driving license in this country these days. Before you get your driving license, they should require you to learn how to deal with such situations and other mechanical break downs.
Thats the whole idea, to talk about it and if it happens to you, you would have some idea in the back of your head as to what to do.
Old 09-16-09, 12:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the whole idea, to talk about it and if it happens to you, you would have some idea in the back of your head as to what to do.
Agreed, adds to our automotive experience and knowledge base.
Old 09-16-09, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, yes and no. Sure, if you are using factory mats or similiarly-shaped ones with a comparable hole, go ahead and use the clip/anchor. But I've used aftermarket rubber/all-weather mats for decades, without an anchor ( I don't use the factory carpeted ones because they are too hard to clean). I've never had any problem in over 40 years. Just place them in the floorwell so that the front right corner goes UNDER the accelerator pedal instead of over.

Quick Reply: Floor Mat Safety Issue