Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mileage Champs See the U.S.A. at 67.9 M.P.G.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 09:08 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think hypermiling is for idiots. Trying save a few bucks by tailgating a 18 wheeler, going 45 in 65 MPH zone causing traffic and hazard. I was merely trying to prove a point I made early, diesel engines are generally more efficient on the highway while hybrids are more efficient in the city. Now, only if someone come out with a Hybrid diesel at a affortable price, then we would really have one heck of a car.
Agreed.
Old 09-16-09, 09:19 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

67.9 what?
http://www.zoomilife.com/2009/03/29/...ests-at-70mpg/
Recent test drives in Napa Valley resulted in most of the drivers getting better than 70 miles per gallon!
Old 09-16-09, 09:35 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think hypermiling is for idiots. Trying save a few bucks by tailgating a 18 wheeler, going 45 in 65 MPH zone causing traffic and hazard. I was merely trying to prove a point I made early, diesel engines are generally more efficient on the highway while hybrids are more efficient in the city. Now, only if someone come out with a Hybrid diesel at a affortable price, then we would really have one heck of a car.
While diesel engines may seem efficient, you need to consider the following, to determine whether or not they are really efficient.

Try to think of fuel not as petrol, diesel, but as a liquid that contains energy. This energy can be measured in BTUs, Watts, Horse powers, or even calories. In the case of diesel vs petrol, diesel is contains about 20% more energy than petrol. It also weights 20% more. And a lot of diesel cars get about 20% more mile per gallon vs their petrol siblings.

However, it just happens so that both diesel and petrol are made from the same crude oil. It is important to understand that a barrel of crude oil contains the same amount of energy, and no matter how you extract it, you cannot extract more energy out of it than there is to begin with. While refining is a complex process, and many products besides petrol and diesel are made from a barrel of crude, if you simplified thing and only extracted either diesel or petrol out of it, in the end you would end up with 20% less diesel compared to petrol. So in fact, while you do observe "perceived" fuel economy in your own vehicle, it does not affect grand scale oil usage one bit.

It gets even better. Like I mentioned before, oil refining is a complex process, and many different products are made from it. The refining industry has optimized refining process in regards to what percentage of oil is used for each product. The process is optimized to be as cost effective, profitable, efficient and with as little waste as possible. If everyone decided to switch to diesel, this process wouldn't be as efficient, and more oil would've been wasted or used for less profitable byproducts.

I have personally criticized diesels on this forum many times, and here's why.

First of all you have traditional diesels. Yes, they were reliable, dependable, and economical. But drive-ability sucked, but even worse is being stock in traffic behind a stinky 80's diesel Mercedes or worse yet, a school bus.

Of course you have many applications, such as heavy trucks where diesel is pretty much necessary because diesel engines generally generate a lot of low end torque. But at least with heavy trucks, most of them have their exhaust pipes pointed up towards the sky. But when being stuck in NYC traffic behind a diesel car/school bus/van that spits the fumes right out of the back, you're guaranteed to come home with a headache. But to be fair, its not only diesels that cause this problem. A lot of trucks/vans/pickups in the USA have emissions requirements that are subpar compared to cars, and their exhaust fumes are horrendous as well. And don't even get me started one the NYC Buses. Some kind of genius wrote on all of them that they are somehow "clean energy" propane or some other gas... Well, the smell out of their exhaust is so poisonous, its just insane.

Obviously, I wasn't the only one concerned with the exhaust fumes of a diesel engine, so now we have these clean diesels. Well the problem with these, is that they are expensive, hugely complex, which will affect service costs and reliability, but the biggest problem is that they do not seem to be efficient. While the Jetta TDI seems to be ok, you have cars like ML320 bluetec that gets a bare 5% better fuel mileage vs its petrol ML350 sibling. Sorry, but if your engine is using 20% more oil (indirectly), I expect a minimum 20% better fuel mileage. And when you consider the cost, complexity, and the fact that its not quite as driveable as the petrol, I fail to see the point. Especially when diesel fuel is often more expensive than petrol.

So, like it or not, but petrol cars are not going anywhere. Petrol is simply the best fuel available right now when all things are considered. Until electric cars and battery technology mature, along with improvements to electrical grid, petrol fuel will be the best option at least for passenger cars. And hybrid technology only helps making petrol cars more efficient and more powerful.

Last edited by Och; 09-16-09 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-16-09, 11:12 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
While diesel engines may seem efficient, you need to consider the following, to determine whether or not they are really efficient.

Try to think of fuel not as petrol, diesel, but as a liquid that contains energy. This energy can be measured in BTUs, Watts, Horse powers, or even calories. In the case of diesel vs petrol, diesel is contains about 20% more energy than petrol. It also weights 20% more. And a lot of diesel cars get about 20% more mile per gallon vs their petrol siblings.

However, it just happens so that both diesel and petrol are made from the same crude oil. It is important to understand that a barrel of crude oil contains the same amount of energy, and no matter how you extract it, you cannot extract more energy out of it than there is to begin with. While refining is a complex process, and many products besides petrol and diesel are made from a barrel of crude, if you simplified thing and only extracted either diesel or petrol out of it, in the end you would end up with 20% less diesel compared to petrol. So in fact, while you do observe "perceived" fuel economy in your own vehicle, it does not affect grand scale oil usage one bit.

It gets even better. Like I mentioned before, oil refining is a complex process, and many different products are made from it. The refining industry has optimized refining process in regards to what percentage of oil is used for each product. The process is optimized to be as cost effective, profitable, efficient and with as little waste as possible. If everyone decided to switch to diesel, this process wouldn't be as efficient, and more oil would've been wasted or used for less profitable byproducts.

I have personally criticized diesels on this forum many times, and here's why.

First of all you have traditional diesels. Yes, they were reliable, dependable, and economical. But drive-ability sucked, but even worse is being stock in traffic behind a stinky 80's diesel Mercedes or worse yet, a school bus.

Of course you have many applications, such as heavy trucks where diesel is pretty much necessary because diesel engines generally generate a lot of low end torque. But at least with heavy trucks, most of them have their exhaust pipes pointed up towards the sky. But when being stuck in NYC traffic behind a diesel car/school bus/van that spits the fumes right out of the back, you're guaranteed to come home with a headache. But to be fair, its not only diesels that cause this problem. A lot of trucks/vans/pickups in the USA have emissions requirements that are subpar compared to cars, and their exhaust fumes are horrendous as well. And don't even get me started one the NYC Buses. Some kind of genius wrote on all of them that they are somehow "clean energy" propane or some other gas... Well, the smell out of their exhaust is so poisonous, its just insane.

Obviously, I wasn't the only one concerned with the exhaust fumes of a diesel engine, so now we have these clean diesels. Well the problem with these, is that they are expensive, hugely complex, which will affect service costs and reliability, but the biggest problem is that they do not seem to be efficient. While the Jetta TDI seems to be ok, you have cars like ML320 bluetec that gets a bare 5% better fuel mileage vs its petrol ML350 sibling. Sorry, but if your engine is using 20% more oil (indirectly), I expect a minimum 20% better fuel mileage. And when you consider the cost, complexity, and the fact that its not quite as driveable as the petrol, I fail to see the point. Especially when diesel fuel is often more expensive than petrol.

So, like it or not, but petrol cars are not going anywhere. Petrol is simply the best fuel available right now when all things are considered. Until electric cars and battery technology mature, along with improvements to electrical grid, petrol fuel will be the best option at least for passenger cars. And hybrid technology only helps making petrol cars more efficient and more powerful.
You had your comment go google something else, you say that diesel has 20% energy per gallon right. well diesel here in chicago is atleast 10% cheeper than gassoline so that means you are getting 30% better value compared to gasoline. You say the Ml diesel gets 5% better efficiency than its gasoline counter part right? ask your typical ML diesel owner how much they average on the highway? Its around 31 mpg. You say that is has more energy than gasoline your making that sound like its a bad thing. Infact its the complete opposite again more bang for your buck and if you are so concerned about using all that oil drive a bicycle or ride a skateboard while I fill up my diesel with bio diesel.
Old 09-16-09, 11:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
You had your comment go google something else, you say that diesel has 20% energy per gallon right. well diesel here in chicago is atleast 10% cheeper than gassoline so that means you are getting 30% better value compared to gasoline.
Well that might be the case right now, in IL. Elsewhere it might be different, and it varies with times as well. Last year in NYC diesel fuel was more than a dollar more per gallon compared to petrol. Fuel prices aren't stable to stay the least.

You say the Ml diesel gets 5% better efficiency than its gasoline counter part right? ask your typical ML diesel owner how much they average on the highway? Its around 31 mpg.
It doesn't matter what a typical ML diesel owner gets... or tells you he gets. I could tell you I get 85mpg in my Dodge Ram.

Theres a standard system for measuring fuel economy, called EPA, and thats what I go by. Actual mileage depends on many conditions - ones driving style, traffic and road conditions, terrain, temperature, air density and other factors.

You say that is has more energy than gasoline your making that sound like its a bad thing. Infact its the complete opposite again more bang for your buck and
Well its only more bang for your buck when diesels fuel is cheaper. I believe right now in NYC diesel is more expensive than petrol, I'll double check when I pass by a gas station that carries both.

if you are so concerned about using all that oil drive a bicycle or ride a skateboard while I fill up my diesel with bio diesel.
Its not that I'm concerned about oil usage, I'm just saying that perceived economy in your personal diesel vehicle vs petrol doesn't affect oil usage at all.

If you want to use a skate board, or a bicycle, go ahead. Just don't forget that while riding a bicycle your burning more calories, which need to be replenished by eating more food. Those poor chickens... And then rate of breath increases, so you're producing more carbonhardons

Yeah, and good luck with that biodiesel

Last edited by Och; 09-16-09 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-16-09, 11:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

They are pretty close in price, the national average for diesel is 6 cents more than gasoline

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp
Old 09-16-09, 02:11 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

The reason I am very fond of diesel's is my van's. I used to run 3 chevy expresses 3500 they were odly shaped not tall enough and used up ridiculous amounts of fuel. I now have 2 dodge(mercedes) sprinter's 3500 with the longes wheelbase's on the market and highest roof's, I basicly get double the fuel economy and I can carry more stuff in the 2 of them than in the 3 chevy's I had. Both have around 150k and running strong

Old 09-16-09, 02:32 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah but can you avg those MPG going 3000 miles? Heck, my big V8 use to get 60 MPG going down hill
And hybrids get infinity mpg downhill cause the engine's off. I don't know but if I remember elementary school, infinity is a lot bigger than 60.