Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota May be Changing Oil Change Intervals Soon.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 08:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would think they need to change the oil filter design to go to the 10000 mile interval.
Old 11-18-09, 09:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The oil and the additives it contains have changed.
engine are running a lot cleaner as well, plus gasoline additives help.
Old 11-18-09, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

At least I didn't see maybe/maybe not in this thread.
Will you see them in the next thread, though? Maybe, maybe not.

"Old fashioned and conservative maybe" even when compared to my parents in their 80;s, but that's just a casual useless observation.
I guess that means you were able to talk them out of THEIR Buick.

IMO, no problem with 10K intervals using Mobil 1 with my kind of driving.
True, with full-synthetic, the viscosity itself doesn't break down under heat likewith dino oil, but the additives might. If you can go 10K with no problems, fine, but in my part of the country, with our driving conditions, that might be pushing it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-09 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-18-09, 10:50 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently changed the Oil in my Avalon with 155k on the clock. It was the first oil change since I got the car with around 148k on it. It was run on fully synthetic prior to the oil change, and that was apparent. The oil, for the most part was clean with a little, and I mean little, grime. Threw in some Mobile 1 Fully Syn, and it should be good for another 8-10k respectively.
Old 11-18-09, 11:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I guess that means you were able to talk them out of THEIR Buick.

No need, my parents thought Buick and Oldsmobile were in the same boat (sunk), but they never had any interest in GM cars.

They do like Subies
Old 11-25-09, 07:46 AM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think mileage is a good proxy to determine when it's time to change the oil. Stop/start/idle city driving takes a much higher toll per mile on oil than highway driving. It's my understanding that with fleet and industrial vehicles that fluids are measured for wear and changed accordingly. I have been using fuel consumption as my proxy. After 100 fillups, it's time to change the oil. Between changes I occasionally check the oil and make sure the level is right and that it's still slippery and has some viscosity.
Old 11-25-09, 08:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you want to know the true interval send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs
Old 11-25-09, 08:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
if you want to know the true interval send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs
Yes, I think Luxoracer did that earlier.
Old 11-25-09, 10:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by vollandt
after 100 fillups, it's time to change the oil. Between changes I occasionally check the oil and make sure the level is right and that it's still slippery and has some viscosity.
100 fill ups? if you drive 300 miles between fill up, that would make your oil change interval at 30000 miles
Old 11-25-09, 11:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
100 fill ups? if you drive 300 miles between fill up, that would make your oil change interval at 30000 miles
Yes and taste the oil for analysis of slipperiness and viscosity.
Old 11-25-09, 11:10 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You need to work on your research a bit more. The Prius came to market initially in Japan in 1997, and that was years before the Insight, which only came to market in 1999. The Prius was the first mass-produced hybrid.

Enthusiasts are grossly misinformed on this because lazy automotive media personnel always talk about how the Insight came out a few months before the Prius *in the US*, but they almost never mention when the Prius originally debuted.
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I don't live in Japan, nor do I care what vehicles are sold there.. I live in the United States of America..
nice try DASHOCKER, but he got you there
Old 11-25-09, 11:16 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Since this thread is about Oil Change Intervals, I care more about that.
Old 11-25-09, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Since this thread is about Oil Change Intervals, I care more about that.
Hybrids, though, especially full/parallel hybrids such as the Prius that can run on electric power alone, may actually need more frequent oil changes than conventional vehicles. Their gas engines don't run continuously, meaning more start-stop/on-off cycles, oil temperature continuously going up and down, more chances for dirt and mosture to contaminate it, etc..... All of that, of course, means (or can mean) faster deterioration of the engine oil.

I suspect this is going to be a real problem for the upcoming Chevolet Volt, as it can run, on its advanced lithium-ion batteries, up to 40 miles without any gas-engine recharging, meaning that the Volt's gas engine is going to be especially lazy, with very little operation.
Old 11-25-09, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I recently changed the Oil in my Avalon with 155k on the clock. It was the first oil change since I got the car with around 148k on it. It was run on fully synthetic prior to the oil change, and that was apparent. The oil, for the most part was clean with a little, and I mean little, grime. Threw in some Mobile 1 Fully Syn, and it should be good for another 8-10k respectively.
If there's no grime (or dark color) in the oil after a while, that means that the detergent package in the oil (and gasoline) aren't doing their jobs. Oil, after a few hundered miles, is SUPPOSED to turn darker...especially in an old engine like your Avalon's with 155K miles on it. New (or newer) engines, of course, have not have been run enough miles for dirt to build up in them. The oil filter, of course, filters out some of the dirt, but, depending on the quality of the filter and paper element, has a limited micron size of the dirt particles it can filter. That's why it is important not to just change your oil as required, but to use a good-quality filter as well, as long as the paper element is not SO dense (filtering out extremely small particles) that it actually impedes oil circulation. That is why engineers test and determine which filters are best for the engines they design.
Old 11-25-09, 03:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I won't be putting much merit in the color of used oil today, thankfully the science of oil for motor vehicle use has changed dramatically in the last couple of decades. GM and BMW (for example) have very sophisticated oil monitoring systems than need to be expanded throughout product lines and adopted by other car makers. Oil monitoring systems could be especially useful with longer intervals on hybrids because of their unique operating conditions as mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Toyota May be Changing Oil Change Intervals Soon.