Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota May be Changing Oil Change Intervals Soon.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 03:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

US really always had short oil change intervals... europe is going crazy these days with 20k-35k miles oil change intervals. Toyota was forced to change their intervals to >20k for newer engines (afterall it has to be designed for it).

However i have recently talked to our regional head engineer, guy that knows everything about everything, and he told me that in his own car, he always changes at 10k miles/1 year interval and that despite all these "long life" fluids, we need to change all of them at reasonable time... if we like our cars, that is :-).
Old 11-25-09, 03:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
US really always had short oil change intervals... europe is going crazy these days with 20k-35k miles oil change intervals.
btw - Is the 20-35K referenced above in kilometers?
Old 11-25-09, 03:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
btw - Is the 20-35K referenced above in kilometers?
miles... .

New standard is 30,000 km.
A lot of new german cars have 50,000 km or determined by car computer. And as we know, car computers are simple things, and detect problems once they happen. It is great for marketing though.

Now you have many new Toyota's coming out with 30,000 km or determined by computer, but as I said, i was advised to take my car at 15,000km/1yr which has been standard for Toyota in Europe for a long time now.
Old 11-25-09, 04:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

miles... .

New standard is 30,000 km.
A lot of new german cars have 50,000 km or determined by car computer. And as we know, car computers are simple things, and detect problems once they happen. It is great for marketing though.

Now you have many new Toyota's coming out with 30,000 km or determined by computer, but as I said, i was advised to take my car at 15,000km/1yr which has been standard for Toyota in Europe for a long time now.
Wow. These mileage numbers are incredible.

But the key thing is the computerized monitoring systems. No manufacturer would dare do this without sophisticated monitoring systems. That way the exception/granny-like driver (tons of cold starts, harsh climates, horrible traffic, average trip length under 5 miles, etc.) is prompted to change the oil frequently, for example.
Old 11-25-09, 07:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Wow. These mileage numbers are incredible.

But the key thing is the computerized monitoring systems. No manufacturer would dare do this without sophisticated monitoring systems. That way the exception/granny-like driver (tons of cold starts, harsh climates, horrible traffic, average trip length under 5 miles, etc.) is prompted to change the oil frequently, for example.

I hope the oil-monitoring systems they have now are better than the ones of just a few years ago. Those first ones didn't impress me at all. In fact, BMW had to repair or replace a number of engines under warranty (I don't have the exact number) because some of the computers were letting the oil go too long for conditions, and letting sludge/gel build up.
Old 11-25-09, 08:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope the oil-monitoring systems they have now are better than the ones of just a few years ago. Those first ones didn't impress me at all. In fact, BMW had to repair or replace a number of engines under warranty (I don't have the exact number) because some of the computers were letting the oil go too long for conditions, and letting sludge/gel build up.

Yep, like a lot of BMW electronics and systems, so-so.
Makes you wonder if the problem was too aggressive criteria or just more unreliable systems.

But over the last decade most of us have witnessed great strides in technology and the best auto makers are participating.
Old 11-26-09, 12:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Yep, like a lot of BMW electronics and systems, so-so.
Makes you wonder if the problem was too aggressive criteria or just more unreliable systems.

But over the last decade most of us have witnessed great strides in technology and the best auto makers are participating.
ask any mechanic or electrician in how much they trust the electronics ;-)

automotive electronics are definetly not state of the art.
Old 11-26-09, 09:54 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Toyota's OCI system is just an idiot light that triggers every 5K.
Old 11-26-09, 01:32 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mercedes has had 15k-25k mile intervals in Europe for quite some time now.
Old 11-26-09, 02:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

When I had my IS changed at the 10k service, the mechanic claimed my oil was "dirty." Asked me if I had forgetten to have my 5k service done, which I had completed on time. I've been nervous ever since.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 11-26-09 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-26-09, 02:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Mechanics aren't able to tell if the oil is still good or not base on color. The only way to determine whether your engine oil is still good or not is through used oil analysis. But if you follow regular maintenance, and assuming you don't drive like a maniac, the typical oil interval should be good enough.

I change my oil maybe once a year based on how I drive, not the color of my oil.
Old 11-26-09, 04:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nthach
Toyota's OCI system is just an idiot light that triggers every 5K.
i would guess that new system uses same suppliers as germans for oil quality check, and they pushed up the service to 22k miles/2 years on new models. But again, i personally dont trust that crap.
Old 11-26-09, 05:34 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i would guess that new system uses same suppliers as germans for oil quality check, and they pushed up the service to 22k miles/2 years on new models. But again, i personally dont trust that crap.
The extended OCIs on German cars are ONLY valid if a synthetic ACEA-compliant and OEM approved oil is used.

Honda and GM use the same system that take engine load and run time into account. Ford on the P71 Crown Vic PI also includes a hour meter as well.
Old 06-01-10, 04:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Any news from Toyota or Lexus in last 6 months on this topic....
Old 06-01-10, 05:13 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any news from Toyota or Lexus in last 6 months on this topic....
Just google, Toyota or Lexus 10k oil changes, apparently the 2010 LS is doing 10k changes I read that any Toyota using 0w20 synthetic is going to 10k, but then I thought I read Toyota/Lexus was sending out letters to customers, cause almost all the newer engine Toyota will be doing 10k, at least from what the dealer network are gonna be doing

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-oil-used.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1598298&page=1

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...k-0w-20-a.html

Quick Reply: Toyota May be Changing Oil Change Intervals Soon.