Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 11:18 AM
LexFather

Look the M5 used to be manual only. Then they made it SMG only and only until Americans complained did they add a manual (but you can't disable all the electronics). Now the M5 loses N/A to be a turbo, is based off the 7 series and might be automatic only?

Is Lexus making this thing? There BETTER be a manual offered.

2012 BMW M5 to be automatic only?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MUNCHK%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.png[/IMG]
As enthusiasts, we can't help but get depressed over the near-extinction of the manual transmission. More and more of our favorite performance cars are being offered without three-pedal setups, and if you believe the latest reports, the next car to fall victim to this change of engineering is the 2012 BMW M5. Don't get your hopes up for any sort of dual-clutch setup, either – Motor Trend is reporting that the next-generation M5 will be offered exclusively with an eight-speed automatic.

When the 2012 BMW M5 goes on sale, it will be powered by a twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 with direct injection. Motor Trend reports that BMW apparently tried to mate its M DCT transmission to this powerplant, a less-powerful version of which is used in both the X5 M and X6 M. The latest reports state that the 2012 M5 will produce over 550 horsepower, and while there's no word about what sort of torque numbers will be on tap, it's obviously too high to be handled by the M DCT unit. Presumably, the eight-speed autobox in question is the ZF unit that's spreading like kudzu throughout the automaker's lineup, and at least we know it to be a very agreeable and quick-shifting unit.

Look for the 2012 BMW M5 to debut in concept form at the Shanghai Motor Show this Spring, followed by the production car's debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show this Fall.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/15/2...utomatic-only/

Old 02-15-11, 11:47 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like the last M5...but this time I am not sure if uproar will be enough. I don't get how you can make the performance flagship of a line auto only, but the rest of the line can all be had in manual. I understand the power issues, but it can be done.

No manual M5, then no M5 for me at all. PERIOD!
Old 02-15-11, 11:55 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Thats pretty weak if true. Sure it will still be very fun to drive though. There is also the option of going 550i with the Msport package and manual. Probably 80% of the driving experience and included standard transmission, plus easy engine updates.
Old 02-15-11, 12:14 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird....I posted this last night?

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
Just like the last M5...but this time I am not sure if uproar will be enough. I don't get how you can make the performance flagship of a line auto only, but the rest of the line can all be had in manual. I understand the power issues, but it can be done.

No manual M5, then no M5 for me at all. PERIOD!
I don't need to have a manual but the lack of a DCT or similar offering is puzzling. I would prefer to have a DCT/PDK type transmission as they are faster and yet, still engaging and fun to drive.

If there is any truth to this rumour (we'll know in April when the car launches on the show circuit I'd guess) then I'll also pass.
Old 02-15-11, 12:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is weird. i actually don't really expect the f10 m5 to have manual as option anymore. very sadly that's just going to be the trend (and as much as i don't want to see)

however i would still expect some kind of dct, or at least single clutch design. full automatic?! wtf?
Old 02-15-11, 02:26 PM
JoeBoy73
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, doesn't make sense...this car definitely needs a Manny!
Old 02-15-11, 03:58 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the loudest complaints even about the last-gen M5 not having a manual transmission offered at launch was from the United States customer base.

So they offered one , but slightly castrated on power...(unsure if they lifted the traction control limits later on)
Old 02-15-11, 04:17 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whoster
I believe the loudest complaints even about the last-gen M5 not having a manual transmission offered at launch was from the United States customer base.

So they offered one , but slightly castrated on power...(unsure if they lifted the traction control limits later on)
Yeah I remember reading the manual version of the car was pretty terrible compared to the automatic version anyway because of various traction control limits, power limits, etc. etc. that needed to be made for the manual
Old 02-15-11, 05:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, on the e60 it was disastrous because the car wasn't designed with 6mt in mind, and they added in afterward. that's why it was never "right". the same 6mt is used in the e9x m3 and the whole setup is far better and the 6mt performance is right up there

to be honest, i wouldn't go that far and say the f10 m5 needs to have manual tranny (as in with a stick). it's a good option for few, but given the market, unfortunately i think computer controlled ones (dct, etc...) are taking over

but a simply full auto tranny, that's just off
Old 02-16-11, 02:54 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

We'll see what happens when the camo comes off at the auto shows, but imo, this doesn't look as aggressive as it should be. I'd prefer the look of the Hamann 5 series to this.

Monte Carlo Blue F10 M5 Spotted!

The F10 M5 is almost upon us, with a concept version headed for a debut at the Shanghai auto show in April. Being in its FEP phase, it's being tested in some different production colors, including what appears to be a stunning Monte Carlo Blue M5. Before this particular model was spotted, the only other time a blue M5 has been spotted was at M's Garching headquarters where it was spotted with its production rear exposed for the only time.

What we see here is basically the production form of the M5, albeit with front and rear bumper designs still camouflaged. It is easy however to piece together what they look like from previous spy photos (posted below). The new M5 will be powered by a tweaked version of the S63 V8 twin turbo motor from the X5M/X6M, good for what we believe will be 585-600hp.

The F10 M5 concept will bow at the 2011 Shanghai show in April (don't be surprised to see an internet reveal sometime prior) and the production M5 is expected to premier at the 2011 Frankfurt IAA autoshow in September. Euro deliveries will begin in November 2011 and US deliveries begin in Spring 2012.
More pics here:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489815
Attached Thumbnails New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)-img_4605.jpg  
Old 02-16-11, 04:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, this does not look aggressive enough, if that is indeed the production body.
Old 02-16-11, 05:26 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

The bottom bumpers look like a standard M affair..

I also feel like the E60 M5 was pretty garish as M5s go. All the others prior were pretty "understated" sedans that were really, really fast.
Old 02-16-11, 05:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The bottom bumpers look like a standard M affair..

I also feel like the E60 M5 was pretty garish as M5s go. All the others prior were pretty "understated" sedans that were really, really fast.
I disagree. I don't see the E60 M5 as being garish. To me it's still somewhat understated for the performance it offers, yet the exterior differences are enough to differentiate it from a regular 5.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the E60 M5 has been the best-selling M5 ever.

I love many of the older BMW designs, but at the same time BMW used the "one sausage three lengths" design mentality that Audi is now using, and BMW is going back to. People can criticize and hate Bangle, but one thing you have to give respect to Bangle for is that he made BMW's models all look differentiated and individual, while *still* having a family resemblance. Now BMW is just using the "one sausage three lengths" design mentality which IMHO is not the best approach anymore.

With older BMWs, it's almost impossible to tell apart regular models from M models, because they look extremely similar. On that note, the older 5 and 7 series models looked very similar to each other as well.
Old 02-16-11, 06:43 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Not really sure what you guys were expecting... New hood, front and rear bumper, and probably a faux vent on the front fender. All the normal M modifications are present and accounted for. How much more aggressive do you guys want this car and what else could you possibly do?

And I agree with whoster, the E60 M5 was definitely garish as far as M5's go. Now that may not necessarily be a bad thing but given the history of M5, it was garish. The base 5 series has gone back to a more classic understated styling so it really doesn't surprise me that the M5 follows suit.
Old 02-16-11, 06:54 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Not really sure what you guys were expecting... New hood, front and rear bumper, and probably a faux vent on the front fender. All the normal M modifications are present and accounted for. How much more aggressive do you guys want this car and what else could you possibly do?
And I agree with whoster, the E60 M5 was definitely garish as far as M5's go. Now that may not necessarily be a bad thing but given the history of M5, it was garish. The base 5 series has gone back to a more classic understated styling so it really doesn't surprise me that the M5 follows suit.
If Hamann can do this to a regular F10 5-Series, I was hoping that the M division could come up with something at least in this ballpark. The wheels look terrible on the prototype and it looks bland imo.

While the Panamera is polarizing as far as it's exterior looks go, it is much more aggressive than this M5 right out of the box (4S or TT).
Attached Thumbnails New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)-1099560200638583130.jpg   New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)-2959586661746798856.jpg  

Quick Reply: New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)