Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 01:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The M5 specifically has been a lot about straight line speed. M Power as already stated, refers to the engine power. Not talking about HP numbers, but actual straight-line performance. Despite weight and HP differences, the M5 for years has been very comparable to the E AMG in terms of straight line numbers.

Also I have to agree with others here. This car does very little for me, and actually only makes me think more about the Panamera.
Old 06-16-11, 08:20 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

It didn't change much from concept to production.
Old 06-16-11, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it was mb who first came out with e55 back in 2003 with supercharged v8 pushing 469hp (but the sl55 was pushing 500+ so it's obvious the potential). when m5 debut in 2006, of course they had to do something to match the hp and speed (to counter to weight).

maybe i should have been more clear. m5 has never been "just" about straight speed (nor it's their first priority). i don't think i ever said the m cars are slow in straight, they are very respectable. m cars have always been more about overall driving and performance, although even on that i think they have deviated quite a bit.

of course, not with a tt v8, people will likely focus more on the power bump with chips and trigger down the straight speed path.

Last edited by rominl; 06-16-11 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-16-11, 11:02 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the car looks amazing (although I could do without the excess chrome on the side vents). Looks like the side skirts on the production model are more bit more aggressive than the concept. And can you believe it, a manufacturer that bucks the trend of stick LED lighting...thanks BMW, love the LED coronas!

I disagree with those complaining that the styling is not aggressive enough. The reason I picked my E63 was that it was a complete "sleeper." To the majority of the public, it's just another E class. Same reason why I like the new M5...it doesn't scream for attention, just subtle exterior cues such as the quad exhaust.

I just recently helped my dad purchase a 2011 550...it's truly an amazing vehicle. The vehicle drives great, and the interior is fantastic...a huge improvement from the E60. I can't wait to see how the M5 ups the ante.

When I look at replacing my current daily driver in two years, the M5 and the CLS 63 are definitely on my short list.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 06-16-11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-16-11, 12:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I think the car looks amazing (although I could do without the excess chrome on the side vents). Looks like the side skirts on the production model are more bit more aggressive than the concept. And can you believe it, a manufacturer that bucks the trend of stick LED lighting...thanks BMW, love the LED coronas!

I disagree with those complaining that the styling is not aggressive enough. The reason I picked my E63 was that it was a complete "sleeper." To the majority of the public, it's just another E class. Same reason why I like the new M5...it doesn't scream for attention, just subtle exterior cues such as the quad exhaust.

I just recently helped my dad purchase a 2011 550...it's truly an amazing vehicle. The vehicle drives great, and the interior is fantastic...a huge improvement from the E60. I can't wait to see how the M5 ups the ante.

When I look at replacing my current daily driver in two years, the M5 and the CLS 63 are definitely on my short list.
i hate people with e93 m3.
Old 06-16-11, 03:23 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There was a time when the M5 used to debut and I was drooling. I still remember cutting out the E34 M5 out of a BMW brochure and putting it on my wall. The E39 was also instantly something I craved. The E60 didn't give me that feeling until long after it was sold and it grew on me.

This one has done pretty much nothing for me from the start. I know it will be utterly brilliant and fantastic but it looks like any BMW, it is based off the 7 series, it has as many speeds as an IS F (which people blasted) and has the same turbo engines as SUVs.

All I can think of is Panamera....
I wonder if it's your age, cars don't do it for me like they use to in my teen and early 20's, now and days I walk out and see an expensive cars and Im like ah nice, then I go to Home Depot and drool over the the high end front loaders washer and dryer and dream of one day having them
Old 06-16-11, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There was a time when the M5 used to debut and I was drooling. I still remember cutting out the E34 M5 out of a BMW brochure and putting it on my wall. The E39 was also instantly something I craved. The E60 didn't give me that feeling until long after it was sold and it grew on me.

This one has done pretty much nothing for me from the start. I know it will be utterly brilliant and fantastic but it looks like any BMW, it is based off the 7 series, it has as many speeds as an IS F (which people blasted) and has the same turbo engines as SUVs.

All I can think of is Panamera....
panamera interior blows away this m5 and performance likely does too.

this m5 is awesome, but let's face it, $4 gas, speed traps everywhere, and we're getting older and drive suvs (well you some of the time), yeah, it's not so interesting.
Old 06-17-11, 07:06 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that this M5 is more conservative than those before it, and perhaps doesn't have the outward appearance or attitude that we expect from M cars, but I don't personally see a better option in it's class.

I don't care much for the exterior design of the current E class. The E63 looks better than other models in the E range, but the tall, boxy greenhouse and exaggerated fender flares don't look quite right in my eyes. Much like this F10 M5, I'm not sure that it gives me the same feeling that previous E55s and E63s have.

I can't stand the exterior or interior design of the Panamera, so I won't elaborate any further.

CTS-V, despite being monstrously fast, is really not in the same class as these cars and I still find issue with much of the interior.

Quattroporte is an antique at this point.

XFR is a good wild card option that I would seriously consider. I've seen a few of them on the road and like the way it looks, but don't know if I would pull the trigger on one if I was shopping in this class.

Still think the previous gen RS6 is the best looking of all these cars, and it's definitely the one I would choose personally. That said, I don't know if they even make them anymore considering the new A6 is out, and they never sold it stateside.

I guess the M5 wins by default, in my book.
Old 06-17-11, 08:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I agree that this M5 is more conservative than those before it, and perhaps doesn't have the outward appearance or attitude that we expect from M cars, but I don't personally see a better option in it's class.

I don't care much for the exterior design of the current E class. The E63 looks better than other models in the E range, but the tall, boxy greenhouse and exaggerated fender flares don't look quite right in my eyes. Much like this F10 M5, I'm not sure that it gives me the same feeling that previous E55s and E63s have.

I can't stand the exterior or interior design of the Panamera, so I won't elaborate any further.

CTS-V, despite being monstrously fast, is really not in the same class as these cars and I still find issue with much of the interior.

Quattroporte is an antique at this point.

XFR is a good wild card option that I would seriously consider. I've seen a few of them on the road and like the way it looks, but don't know if I would pull the trigger on one if I was shopping in this class.

Still think the previous gen RS6 is the best looking of all these cars, and it's definitely the one I would choose personally. That said, I don't know if they even make them anymore considering the new A6 is out, and they never sold it stateside.

I guess the M5 wins by default, in my book.
one thing i pray is if lexus comes out with gsf
Old 06-17-11, 09:02 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

4300lbs!!

Not as bad as some have predicted, but that is a lot of weight to carry around the corners. If this was an M7, I would have been fine with the stats. Even if I had the money, I would probably blow it on the E39 M5 instead
Old 06-17-11, 07:27 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The interior room is small, I can't fit in the car, it's uncomfortable to drive cause its so cramped, the STS needs this V treatment then I will be sold
Old 06-17-11, 08:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

now... imagine if Lexus did GS with big wheels and 4300lbs and called it GS-F, FIRST... hell would pour down the internet forums

:-)
Old 06-17-11, 09:16 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Wasn't there a rumor about Lexus wanting the GSF to weigh under 4k lbs? Something like 3,700 or 3,800?
Old 06-17-11, 09:21 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 06-17-11, 09:26 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does the currently mythical GS F have to do with this thread dedicated to the new F10 M5???

When the new GS F debuts in 2013 then the discussion may be worthwhile. The new GS hasn't even made an official live appearance, just a "concept car", and yet the speculation about a "potential" GS F abounds.

(I do hope it comes too....if it's up to par....but at this point it has mythical status. )

Quick Reply: New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)