Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 03:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I would predict that in the future more AMG models would get the Speedshift transmission.
Old 09-28-09, 09:43 PM
LexFather

Since mid-2008 we've been bringing you reports that the 2011 BMW M5 could be powered by a high-performance turbocharged V-8 instead of the high-revving 5.0-liter V-10 mill in the current model. Today, a new report has emerged alleging confirmation of that plan direct from BMW.

Speaking with BMW engineers, Edmunds says it has received positive confirmation from "BMW insiders" that a turbocharged V-8 would be the powerplant for the 2011 BMW M5. Those insiders didn't give any details beyond that, but the TwinPower 4.4-liter V-8 from the current X5 M and X6 M is the obvious choice for an M-model V-8.

Rated at 555 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque, the twin-turbo V-8 would be a 48-horsepower bump over the current model and could actually allow for more compact packaging thanks to the positioning of the two turbos and their manifolds between the cylinder blocks.

Another possible inclusion on the next-gen M5 is a Formula 1-style Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) hybrid drive, helping to boost power as high as 600 horsepower in total. Unlike typical hybrid systems, the KERS-type hybrid is used to apply an extra boost of power when desired, usually at the push of a button.

So far no confirmation of any production-car applications of the KERS system have come out of BMW, however, so it may yet be a generation off, especially with BMW's exit from Formula 1 at the end of this season.

Marking a similar train of thought, Audi is also thought to be working on a move from its Lamborghini-sourced V-10 engine toward more turbocharged V-8 power. The first applications of the change would likely arise in the RS6, though eventually even the R8 would have to follow.

Old 05-18-10, 01:35 PM
LexFather

some good pics up at http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387923

source:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387923

Old 05-18-10, 08:28 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the actual vehicle looks anything like this recent rendering it may very well end up in my garage.

Kudos to Alpine325ci for the excellent rendering.
Old 05-18-10, 08:31 PM
LexFather

The renderings are fantastic...

(just jizzed)

Old 05-19-10, 04:46 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
If the actual vehicle looks anything like this recent rendering it may very well end up in my garage.

Dare I speak the same???

I drove the Aston at Road America on Saturday... sound, looks, interior all INTOXICATING... BUT... I prefer the M3's package over it... and I prefer the M3 over the Cayman due to the additional space... Q4 for the new M5?????

Seems so far away... however, I'm at 15 months and counting

Last edited by rdgdawg; 05-20-10 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-19-10, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

russ, how come i am not surprised at your sig change anymore?!
Old 05-19-10, 08:56 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^ I think it changes daily
Old 05-19-10, 09:37 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
russ, how come i am not surprised at your sig change anymore?!
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^ I think it changes daily
Yes guys... it does... below are some of the pics of the cars we were lucky enough to experience at Road America on Saturday. Again, I like the overall whole package of the M3 over the Aston, but my sig changes with what's the top choice. Upon awaking Tues, I was still more impressed with the M than the Aston... for a $143K AM V8V, I can get both an M3 and X5... just including more "practicality" in my decision making...

Enjoy the pics!!!
New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)-am-i.jpg

New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)-amii.jpg

New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)-am-iii.jpg

AS I stated before, when I saw the new M5 I thought it was the most incredible BMW ever, if not the most impressive car I have ever seen... the longer we wait on our project, more time I have to compare before my purchase... thx Greece, we appreciate the delay!!!
Old 05-19-10, 11:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am surprised you like the m3 more than the vantage. i mean, i love my m3, but man, that says a lot
Old 05-19-10, 12:09 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
i am surprised you like the m3 more than the vantage. i mean, i love my m3, but man, that says a lot
It's a tough call and don't get me wrong... as I mentioned, the Vanatge is intoxicating like no other car... but certain non-removable factors continuously changes the balance of the equation. It was AMAZING... BUT... does it separate itself by a $70K difference???? If it comes to pass as "FACTOR FREE PURCHASE", I would order a V-12 Vantage today!!! I continue to wrestle with it (as EVERYONE knows LOL!!!)

BOT... the M5 is a FAR more reasonable car for ME dollar-for-dollar over the AM Rapide... I find it the most attractive sedan "out there"... well, 2011... because (for me) the aggressive look of it over the Rapide (stunning ) ... and for $100K less Also has tested very favorably in "northern" conditions

I DO have a game plan (stifle laughter please) and in time it shall come to pass...
Old 05-19-10, 12:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

sides and rear looks nice. Dont like the eyebrow things on the headlights
Old 05-19-10, 02:28 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
sides and rear looks nice. Dont like the eyebrow things on the headlights
Keep in mind that this is just a very, very good rendering by one of the guys on the BMW forum....this isn't an actual representation of what the car will look like, but should be close.

The rumor mill suggests that the F10 M5 will debut this fall, but won't actually be available in NA until summer/fall of 2011.
Old 05-19-10, 05:24 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vantage > M5 and M3 any day.

Aston is an exotic unlike any. BMW is just a very nice car to drive specially the M, but thats about it.
Old 09-14-10, 07:50 AM
LexFather

More vids...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/13/v...wing-engine-o/

Quick Reply: New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)