Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 11:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Sorry Russ, agree with J.P. here.

Like I mentioned in the Alpina thread for whatever reason the 7 series just doesn't have the wow factor imo. Pan TT, S63, Quattroporte yes....B7 no.

Don't expect for the F10 M5 to sound anywhere close to the E60 V10 J.P.

Rumour is that it will come with a TT V8 instead.
Originally Posted by J.P.
Have to disagree, its still a 7 with some goodies.

Rapide is on another level.

Hell, for the price of the B7, I start thinking Panamera Turbo

v10 M5 ran by me last night, sound is just to awesome! cannot wait to see what this M5 is really up to
same here, to me the b7 is like in the middle of nowhere. don't think it can outrun a m5, and it doesn't carry close to as much prestige as the rapide i think

i would love to have the m5/6 v10 too, but given the gas mileage, i guess i can settle with the tt v8
Old 01-17-11, 01:45 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
same here, to me the b7 is like in the middle of nowhere. don't think it can outrun a m5, and it doesn't carry close to as much prestige as the rapide i think

i would love to have the m5/6 v10 too, but given the gas mileage, i guess i can settle with the tt v8
K, you go first.

Once you figure out everything wrong with the first model year F10 M5 let me know so I can get mine.
Old 01-17-11, 07:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
With my love for AM, out those in this thread, I'd probably go Rapide .... but you could still get an M5 ($100K) AND a Cayman S ($75K)for the price of a Rapide ($199K)... but man is it SWEET!!!!!
no worries, you won't buy anything anyway.

Originally Posted by rominl
well the new 335is for example is kinda similar, tweaked, but not an m car. but not everyone wants the harsher ride of the m3 (not saying it's bad, it's an awesome car), but wants something more unique.

gas mileage hardly figures much in the overall cost of ownership for any of these $100k and up cars.
Old 01-17-11, 08:05 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
. . . gas mileage hardly figures much in the overall cost of ownership for any of these $100k and up cars.
Well, unless you are intent on growing your Grey Poupon fund.
Old 01-17-11, 08:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
K, you go first.

Once you figure out everything wrong with the first model year F10 M5 let me know so I can get mine.
hahha, no way, i don't even trust first year lexus anymore!

well the new 335is for example is kinda similar, tweaked, but not an m car. but not everyone wants the harsher ride of the m3 (not saying it's bad, it's an awesome car), but wants something more unique.

gas mileage hardly figures much in the overall cost of ownership for any of these $100k and up cars.
paul, are you saying 335 is more unique than m3? come on and if you talk about unique, i think rapide will be more unique than the b7.

gas mileage? it depends on what you get. i know quite a few e63/cls63/m5/m6 owners, they paid cash for their cars. some are really in the "don't care" category however when the cars get single digit mpg relatively often, some do say it hurts
Old 01-17-11, 08:55 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They are here where is BMW?
I knew you would reply with that but what I am saying is, they need a GS-F. Last time I checked the LFA is not a luxury performance sedan. Apples/Oranges.

So typical man.
Old 01-17-11, 08:56 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

M3 with EDC is not a harsher ride.
Old 01-17-11, 09:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by OC 335d
I knew you would reply with that but what I am saying is, they need a GS-F. Last time I checked the LFA is not a luxury performance sedan. Apples/Oranges.

So typical man.
Yes so typical.
'
Last I checked the "sport" brand doesn't offer an exotic or car that can come close to matching the LFA. Both brands have gaps in their lineups.

We have been speculating that a GS F should arrive with the next generation. As I posted, the M5 wasn't created overnight, it took DECADES before it arrived on the market. Lexus just 3 years ago brought their "F" marque to the market.

BMW is the sport brand its logical for them to have more "M" cars even though as of late they seem to slap "M" on anything (X5 M, X6 M, turbo 1M with the same engine as regular BMW models) much to the dismay of "M" purists.

It would be great for a GS F to arrive but I don't expect it to topple the M5 or anything at all.

Old 01-17-11, 09:28 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And again, as stated in another post.... BMW 's going nuts with turbos across the board...

How's that 4-year shelf life looking these days????
Old 01-17-11, 10:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

As I posted, the M5 wasn't created overnight, it took DECADES before it arrived on the market.
while i'm sure that's true, the M6 arrived in the U.S. in 1983.

BMW is the sport brand its logical for them to have more "M" cars
maybe but mercedes of course has a large array of AMG models too. it's likely to be another decade before lexus is remotely close, but i suspect they won't get there, partly because of changes in fuel economy standards and partly due to competing for funds with the mother ship (toyota).

It would be great for a GS F to arrive but I don't expect it to topple the M5 or anything at all.
agreed. i expect a GS-F to have basically the IS-F engine/tranny/suspension in it. it will be fun for sure, but no M5 (or M5 price).
Old 01-17-11, 12:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If the GSF has the ISF engine, it will be an automatic fail. Lexus shouldn't even bother then. GSF needs to noticeably different than the ISF. It likely will have the same transmission, but I would expect a different or modified engine, and likely a different suspension.
Old 01-17-11, 02:08 PM
LexFather

while i'm sure that's true, the M6 arrived in the U.S. in 1983.

maybe but mercedes of course has a large array of AMG models too. it's likely to be another decade before lexus is remotely close, but i suspect they won't get there, partly because of changes in fuel economy standards and partly due to competing for funds with the mother ship (toyota).

agreed. i expect a GS-F to have basically the IS-F engine/tranny/suspension in it. it will be fun for sure, but no M5 (or M5 price).
Yup. AMG wasn't an official part of Benz until the early 90s and they only had one official car in 1996, then two in 1998. So it took them decades to get where they are. The SLS is the first AMG project not based on another car.

FYI that 6 series nor the 850CSI were considered official "M" cars.

Old 01-17-11, 03:36 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

hottest m5 by far
Old 01-17-11, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

FYI that 6 series nor the 850CSI were considered official "M" cars.
according to the EXCELLENT timeline shown on wikipedia, not only was there an M6 in the 80s but also an M5 and an M3.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M6
Old 01-17-11, 08:40 PM
LexFather

according to the EXCELLENT timeline shown on wikipedia, not only was there an M6 in the 80s but also an M5 and an M3.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M6
I honestly seem to be mistaken on the E24 6 series, from my understanding there was no official M6 but it seems I am way off here.(goes to read)

Quick Reply: New BMW M5 F10 (updated, official spec and link in #205)