Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick billboard targets Lexus AND new GM ads vs Toyota/Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09 | 06:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It is true that a lot of older people buy Buicks, but they are not as much of a Geezer-mobile as the auto press would have you believe. That is a classic, inaccurate stereotype that is somewhat removed from reality. Younger people DO buy new Buicks, though generally not in large numbers. I've posted about this many times on CAR CHAT, yet that old stereotype still seems to stick with some people. The Enclave, in particular (and the Rondevous and Rainier before that) had lower average-buyer ages than some other Buicks.
No doubt in the last couple of years,the Buick suv/crossovers are being bought by younger people but the sedans are bought by seniors.
Old 09-18-09 | 06:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

It is true that a lot of older people buy Buicks, but they are not as much of a Geezer-mobile as the auto press would have you believe. That is a classic, inaccurate stereotype that is somewhat removed from reality. Younger people DO buy new Buicks, though generally not in large numbers. I've posted about this many times on CAR CHAT, yet that old stereotype still seems to stick with some people. The Enclave, in particular (and the Rondevous and Rainier before that) had lower average-buyer ages than some other Buicks.
That was the whole idea of spending milllions to get Tiger Wood as their spokesman, I cannot say that it has work out very well for Buick. The younger buyers still associate Buick with retirement Kind of like the label put on Oldsmoblie in the pass. Buick, much like Hyundai are spending so much resourse in changing their brand image, when it is actually easier and cheaper to just get rid of the name that people associate a brand name with. Much like Datsun chnaging their name to Nissan or Gold star turing into LG.
Old 09-18-09 | 06:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
That was the whole idea of spending milllions to get Tiger Wood as their spokesman, I cannot say that it has work out very well for Buick. The younger buyers still associate Buick with retirement Kind of like the label put on Oldsmoblie in the pass. Buick, much like Hyundai are spending so much resourse in changing their brand image, when it is actually easier and cheaper to just get rid of the name that people associate a brand name with. Much like Datsun chnaging their name to Nissan or Gold star turing into LG.
I didn't know crappy Gold Star is now LG.
I'm also in the how can anyone spend $40+K for a Hyundai camp.
Old 09-18-09 | 07:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

In this weeks Sunday Chicago Tribune they did a (favorable) review of the new Lacrosse. In the article they said the average age of Buick buyers, excluding Enclave is 70. I'm old and even that seems high to me! Whatever the reasons I'm sure that Buick wants and needs to bring that number down.
Old 09-18-09 | 07:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In this weeks Sunday Chicago Tribune they did a (favorable) review of the new Lacrosse. In the article they said the average age of Buick buyers, excluding Enclave is 70. I'm old and even that seems high to me! Whatever the reasons I'm sure that Buick wants and needs to bring that number down.
You would believe it if you saw how many Buicks are on the road in the many south Jersey retirement communities.It would blow you away.It's like a Twilight Zone episode.
Buick dealer owners and salesmen must make a bundle.
I'm in my 50's and both my grandparents drove Buicks years ago.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-18-09 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-18-09 | 07:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

They want to bring that number down? 3 words: G.N.X.
Old 09-18-09 | 07:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
I would like to add that right now is the worst time for the ES350 to be as disappointing as it is. Back in the 90ies and early 00's the only real direct competitor to the ES was perhaps the Acura TL. Everything else was either too small/sporty (3 series, C class), too expensive (5 series, E class) or just plan out awful.

Nowadays however the competition is more aggressive than ever, and more impressive than ever. You have this Buick, the Hundai Genesis, Lincoln MKS, all fighting for their piece of the pie. Lexus simply cannot afford to lose their share of the market with their bread and butter ES model. They need to do a major facelift on the ES, otherwise they will get blown out of the water.

Just look at the new Acura TL for instance. Its brand new and its sales are already pathetic. Its practically doomed at this point. This is what happens when you bring an non competitive product into a highly competitive market.
The thing is this ES is the best selling ES ever. That is with what you have pointed out, better and much improved competition. To me, it shows a big testament to the ES and what it stands for to people.

I cannot lie and say I don't find other cars at its price more attractive but the ES hits its core buyer every time.
Old 09-18-09 | 08:23 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

It sounds like (Buick) is saying they wants to relentlessly pursue (Lexus) quality but CAN'T! I think this ad does not work for them.
Old 09-18-09 | 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It is true that a lot of older people buy Buicks, but they are not as much of a Geezer-mobile as the auto press would have you believe. That is a classic, inaccurate stereotype that is somewhat removed from reality.

In this weeks Sunday Chicago Tribune they did a (favorable) review of the new Lacrosse. In the article they said the average age of Buick buyers, excluding Enclave is 70. I'm old and even that seems high to me!
Bingo. An absolutely perfect example (among many, of course) of the stereotypical nonsense I was talking about....how the press misleads people.
Old 09-18-09 | 08:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately, perception is 90% of the turth. If people see Buick as a old man's car, then it is a old man's car.
Old 09-18-09 | 11:31 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Senior citizens will buy Buicks.
No matter what Buick model GM come out with,Buick will have the old people vehicle buyer brand stigma.
Tiger Woods was hired to get that age group down.It didn't work nor will this new LaCrosse.
I disagree. Look at the statistics for those buying the Enclave. The Enclave has absolutely succeeded and has significantly lowered the buying age for the Buick brand.

You have absolutely no basis or evidence that can even backup your statement on the success or failure of the LaCrosse.
Old 09-18-09 | 11:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
I disagree. Look at the statistics for those buying the Enclave. The Enclave has absolutely succeeded and has significantly lowered the buying age for the Buick brand.

You have absolutely no basis or evidence that can even backup your statement on the success or failure of the LaCrosse.
I said sedans above.
The LaCrosse may bring that 70 years of age to 55 but I doubt it.
Old 09-18-09 | 11:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Bingo. An absolutely perfect example (among many, of course) of the stereotypical nonsense I was talking about....how the press misleads people.
The report in the Tribune quoted actual sales figures, it wasn't just their perception.

No way around it, for good or bad, you decide, Buick cars are favored and purchased by an older crowd.
Old 09-18-09 | 12:17 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Reminds me of those BMW versus Audi billboards (in the state of California)....

Nevertheless, I guess this is a typical reaction from an outside but personally, I'm kinda shocked that in America, such is allowed.

Where I'm from though, if Toyota wants to make a comparison ad, they just say like "Brand H" (to represent say Honda) or "Brand N" (for Nissan) and whatnot. (basically from A-Z and whatever). So in short, where I'm from, Intel cannot say that they are better than "AMD" in their own advertisements. Perhaps they can say "better than the competition" but they cannot use a name of a competitor.

If Toyota (or any other carmaker or even any company period) were to do such a thing here, those ads would not even be approved by the regulatory agency here (i.e. DTI). The company and the one who put that ad may be penalized for this and would have to pay a fine. So there.

So with that said, it's interesting to see that you can actually mention such in your advertising over there in Stateside.....

Just an observation/insight
Old 09-18-09 | 01:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The report in the Tribune quoted actual sales figures, it wasn't just their perception.

No way around it, for good or bad, you decide, Buick cars are favored and purchased by an older crowd.
It's a fact, and Buick is well aware of it. The challenges Buick faces in the US market go well beyond what lame journalists publish as their perceptions of the "geezer-pleasers". It's only recently that Buick introduced products that were competitive. Over the last 2 decades the Buick lineup consisted of mostly dated cars (w/pushrod engines, 4 speed trannys), low performance, ugly styling, low fuel efficiency, terrible depreciation, etc.

Quick Reply: Buick billboard targets Lexus AND new GM ads vs Toyota/Lexus