Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick billboard targets Lexus AND new GM ads vs Toyota/Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 03:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, Professor. (Just kidding)

The ES was never supposed to be anything but a soft-riding, FWD, entry-level luxury sedan....that's why Lexus developed other, sportier, RWD lines like the GS and IS, for the enthusiasts. Until 2006, and the stiffening of the tires/suspension and cheapening of the interior, they stuck to that principle.....and it worked.
lol, that's why niche has nothing to do with sales volume or quantities.

Exactly Lexus took a chance with something that neither BMW or Mercedes chose to sell. Lexus seems to be aware of the broad spectrum of its customers.
Old 09-18-09, 04:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The 3.8 V6 was a original Buick design that debuted in the 1960's, and, as you note, was not known for smoothness. That was because of the 90-degree V-orientation of the cylinder banks (it was essentially the 5.0L V8 with the two rear cylinders cut off). A 90-degree-bank works fine with a V8 but, because of harmonical firing problems with only 6 cylinders, not as well as with a conventional straight-six (you'll notice that all the newer V6s have different bank angles.....some as low as 15 degrees on VW engines).
Well V6 engines are not balanced by nature, and many manufacturers come up with all kinds of tricks to make them as smooth and balanced as possible. This wasn't the case with GM, they just didn't bother. Seriously, I love a smooth, soft riding car, but just the though of 90ies/early 00's Buicks grosses me out. The interior, exterior, power train, suspension, build quality, everything about these cars is just dreadful.

But, on the other hand, the 3.8L had had almost a half a century's worth of improvements to it over the years, both at Buick and at the other GM divisions using it. As for excessive leaks after 60K, I have not heard much about that......with all the improvements over the years, it has developed a reputation for good reliability, at least by GM standards.
Well, I don't know what type of improvements it received over half a century. It still retired as a dreadful, unbalanced, low output OHV engine, with 2 valves per cylinder. And if you speak to the owners, many complain about leaks from every seal after 60k, and many mechanics recommended using heavier oil in these engines after 60k to reduce the leaks.

This engine, along with some other GM's OHV engines, is what gave a bad general reputation to the pushrod engines in general. As good as Corvettes engine might be, many, including myself, are still skeptical about it. Sure, its simpler design than OHC, more compact, lighter, easier to service, and they got it to spin at 7000RPM and they even implemented variable valve timing... but will these engine last compared to OHC? Purely from the mechanical point of view, that pushrod assembly at 7000 rpm does not inspire much confidence.

Last edited by Och; 09-18-09 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-19-09, 12:39 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry didn't read the entire thread, but did anyone mention that the billboard design and layout mimics a Lexus ad? I think even the font is pretty close. That's pretty clever and kinda funny.
Old 09-19-09, 08:45 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

As mentioned in post way back, I'm even surprised that companies (in America at least) can actually mention the names of their competitors in their advertising.

In where I'm from though, doing such will not get your advertisement approved. Hence, companies should refer to their rivals as either "brand X" or "brand H" (or Brand A-Z or whatever).

Just an observation :P
Old 09-19-09, 09:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
As mentioned in post way back, I'm even surprised that companies (in America at least) can actually mention the names of their competitors in their advertising.

In where I'm from though, doing such will not get your advertisement approved. Hence, companies should refer to their rivals as either "brand X" or "brand H" (or Brand A-Z or whatever).

Just an observation :P
Common practice in the US, legal and normal.
Old 09-19-09, 09:41 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Common practice in the US, legal and normal.
Oh I see (so it's allowed over there). I see.

Well that answers my question. Thanks
Old 09-19-09, 07:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GM Targets Toyota/Lexus with a few new commercials

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/18/v...d-check-em-ou/

All very solid commercials representing a very solid product lineup, and addressing a couple of serious public misconceptions, IMO.
Old 09-19-09, 07:43 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primecut
Sorry didn't read the entire thread, but did anyone mention that the billboard design and layout mimics a Lexus ad? I think even the font is pretty close. That's pretty clever and kinda funny.
Ah, good eye! Yes they are quite similar...considering that the LaCrosse benchmarked the ES, looks like they went further with the ads too.

The ads for this weekend are neat; I find the GM vs. Toyota MPG one to be most effective, although I think Toyota's CAFE/etc averages are higher.

The ES 350 ad is interesting, but I think it portrays the Buick to be 'an American ES' rather than necessarily better or more high class...it also uses the same format as the other (Chevy, GMC, etc) ads, rather than elevate the Buick brand. Moreover, the design details on the 2010 LaCrosse, plus its added rear seat room, could have been emphasized...right now was opportune considering the 2010 ES 350 interior gets additional details, a richer trim look. Still, the LaCrosse is definitely a worthy rival.
Old 09-19-09, 07:59 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Since Lacrosse TV ads are running this weekend, I wonder if dealers now have cars to sell. It was on QC hold for a while and the dealers, around me at least, had just one car for display only. Buyers in this segment have another interesting choice.

The updates on the 2010 ES are indeed timely.
Old 09-19-09, 08:05 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice ad.....the ad of the year IMO!

Last edited by pagemaster; 09-19-09 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-19-09, 08:20 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

I may be one of the few young people that actually likes the way the new Buicks look.

I have not driven or experienced them in any way, but I was a pretty big fan of the first-gen LaCrosse. Then again, I may be biased (see sig).

Would it not help them to advertise things like the LaCrosse (and was it Lucerne?) Super line up? With a sub 6 second 0-60 and a nice V8, you'd think they'd milk it for all it is worth.

Might also help to bring back some iconic names. Hey, everyone else is doing it, why not Buick? I for one would not be opposed to see a new Regal T or Grand National, or even GS. Us young people are suckers for performance! Just please oh dear god make it RWD.
Old 09-19-09, 08:37 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

They are nice effective commercials and that billboard is great (not for Lexus though).

As for the fuel efficiency commercial, yes GM is doing well competing against Toyota in certain large vehicle segments, however there's no doubting Toyota's overall leadership in the efficiency field.

Of course there's the Prius which GM, so far, has nothing close. Until the Volt arrives.

Then there's Toyota's small car line that dwarf's GM's.

Yaris 3-door liftback, 4-door LB, Sedan, Corolla, Matrix, Prius, & (Scion) xD, xB

GM has the antiquated...

Aveo hatch, Sedan, Cobalt, & HHR

Only the XFE has the high 37 mpg rating because of a special high gear ratio and stick only configuration. Every other small model kills GM's.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 09-19-09 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-19-09, 09:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YARIS!
They are nice effective commercials and that billboard is great (not for Lexus though).

IMO, these commercials are a form of free advertising for Lexus. Americans are often bombarded with ads that name the brand that's considered best for comparison purposes, and the results are questionable. Mentioning what they view as the class leader is nice for the named lux brand.

The new Buick needs to be advertised on its own merits, which seem to be significant at first glance.
Old 09-19-09, 11:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Let's be honest here. Today's Lexus products are probably not as solidly built as those of the 1990's and the early years after 2000, but they are STILL far from junk, and they still are found in the upper reaches of most quality and customer-satisfaction surveys. Quality-wise, in the premium/upmarket class, I would still choose a Lexus product over most other brands. Having said that, though, I DID find the present-generation ES350 disappointing, for a number of reasons.
can you eleborate?? I am interested in your feed back. I was impressed by the cars quality and fit and finish. Dynamically is leaves a lot to be desired but isnt that how all luxury cars are?
Old 09-20-09, 08:48 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

As someone who works in the marketing/advertising field, I really think GM is doing a great job with these ads. When you're at the bottom you have to scratch and claw your way back to the top and the best way to do that is through ads like these where you illustrate strengths and key selling points over the top dog. Toyota is obviously perceived as the top dog so I am really not surprised.

They do, however, have one number wrong. The 2010 Camry matches the Malibu on the highway, at 33MPG. If Toyota hadn't been so godforsaken cheap and equipped the Corolla with at least a 5AT or 6AT, it would probably match the Cobalt's fuel economy. Same goes for the Rav4...a 4AT simply doesn't cut it so I am glad to see GM ******* them for this. Tundra/Silverado I don't really have much to say about.

The LaCrosse ads are largely subjective as the LaCrosse really has few (if any) objective selling points over the ES.

Quick Reply: Buick billboard targets Lexus AND new GM ads vs Toyota/Lexus