Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick billboard targets Lexus AND new GM ads vs Toyota/Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 09:12 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear I say, the Lacrosse looks more like the LS460 than the ES350. Take a look at the videos on the site and it has that level of presence on the road. The ES looks smaller and weaker. Sorry Lexus, but I'd buy the Lacrosse (even though I know that long term quality would be lead by Lexus).

BTW, I have called the current LS the best looking sedan of all time so comparing the Lacrosse is a BIG deal.
Old 09-20-09, 09:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
As someone who works in the marketing/advertising field, I really think GM is doing a great job with these ads. When you're at the bottom you have to scratch and claw your way back to the top and the best way to do that is through ads like these where you illustrate strengths and key selling points over the top dog. Toyota is obviously perceived as the top dog so I am really not surprised.
Except here. GM has it backwards in the Buick ad. It doesn't make sense. Where do they highlight their strengths? I can appreciate they are trying to get people to take a look at the Buick. But they should not have made the comparison. Instead GM should have focused on the car. I know they do it in their other ads. IMO that's more effective, maybe even a few ads where the GM car is standalone.

The other issue I found is some GM cars are as much money as Lexus (like the SRX vs RX). That makes the decision easier in my book.
Old 09-20-09, 09:27 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
If Toyota hadn't been so godforsaken cheap and equipped the Corolla with at least a 5AT or 6AT, it would probably match the Cobalt's fuel economy.
Non XFE Cobalt: 25/35

Corolla: 27/35

Let's remember that the XFE is a special edition Cobalt that sells far less than standard cobalts. And most buy automatics which the XFE doesn't come in.

So your argument about a 5AT or 6AT isn't relevant since the Corolla meets the Cobalt's highway MPG and BEATS it's city MPG.
Old 09-20-09, 10:03 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The other thing about GM's strategy that seems a bit odd is that they are essentially marketing TWO luxury brands.

So ONE core brand and two luxury brands? I think that GM feels that Cadillac is not their answer to Lexus. They feel that it's a sport luxury brand against BMW, Infiniti, ect...

Ultimately though, I think Buick is supposed to be the bridge between Chevy and Caddy which begs the question as to why they are targeting Lexus. Lexus sure as hell isn't a bridge to something greater from Toyota.

At the end of the day though, I love where Buick is going with the Lacrosse as a starting point.
Old 09-20-09, 10:17 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

haha my grandma wouldn't even drive buick...
Old 09-20-09, 12:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by kitlz
Except here. GM has it backwards in the Buick ad. It doesn't make sense. Where do they highlight their strengths? I can appreciate they are trying to get people to take a look at the Buick. But they should not have made the comparison. Instead GM should have focused on the car. I know they do it in their other ads. IMO that's more effective, maybe even a few ads where the GM car is standalone.

The other issue I found is some GM cars are as much money as Lexus (like the SRX vs RX). That makes the decision easier in my book.
I agree with you in "principle" and what you say is true. However in advertising its pretty clear no matter how good a new GM vehicle is, people ignore it.

Thus they have to "shake things up" by including competitors and the status quo and targeting them to show quickly how GM fares.

They targeted Honda first with the Howie Long ads and now Toyota. Its clever not unusual and I think it works here.

HOWEVER, they are showing the 09 ES...this is advertising for Lexus as well, FREE advertising and well, the MMC 2010 ES is here, so a customer that goes in expecting the 09 will see a 2010 with more features.

Bad timing by Buick here.

Buick has print ads targeting the ES and Acura TL in magazines. They are not targeting the TL in these ads, thus showing they feel the ES is the class leader. If I were them I would show the ugly *** TL in the ads next to the Buick. I can see many more people jumping to a Buick based on the TL styling alone than the ES styling which at WORST is pretty harmless.

Old 09-20-09, 02:37 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree with you in "principle" and what you say is true. However in advertising its pretty clear no matter how good a new GM vehicle is, people ignore it.

Thus they have to "shake things up" by including competitors and the status quo and targeting them to show quickly how GM fares.

They targeted Honda first with the Howie Long ads and now Toyota. Its clever not unusual and I think it works here.

HOWEVER, they are showing the 09 ES...this is advertising for Lexus as well, FREE advertising and well, the MMC 2010 ES is here, so a customer that goes in expecting the 09 will see a 2010 with more features.

Bad timing by Buick here.

Buick has print ads targeting the ES and Acura TL in magazines. They are not targeting the TL in these ads, thus showing they feel the ES is the class leader. If I were them I would show the ugly *** TL in the ads next to the Buick. I can see many more people jumping to a Buick based on the TL styling alone than the ES styling which at WORST is pretty harmless.
IMO, if GM really wants to attract people, show them what the cars are about instead of trying to make comparisons. Yes, people have stereotypes about Buick. That will be hard to change. So make the effort to overcome this by focusing on the car.

I agree the Buick ad is an attempt to shake things up. But it's not compelling enough. And this goes back to the stereotype. Tell me why it's not grandma's car anymore, show some interior shots, list the features, etc. etc. etc. That will get me in the door (NOT!). I think you get the idea.

On the upside, the free advertising has been great for Lexus and Toyota It only confirms the obvious
Old 09-20-09, 03:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by kitlz
IMO, if GM really wants to attract people, show them what the cars are about instead of trying to make comparisons. Yes, people have stereotypes about Buick. That will be hard to change. So make the effort to overcome this by focusing on the car.

I agree the Buick ad is an attempt to shake things up. But it's not compelling enough. And this goes back to the stereotype. Tell me why it's not grandma's car anymore, show some interior shots, list the features, etc. etc. etc. That will get me in the door (NOT!). I think you get the idea.

On the upside, the free advertising has been great for Lexus and Toyota It only confirms the obvious
Well no matter WHAT the new competition comes with, BMW, Benz, Lexus continues to sell sell sell. I don't see many people jumping from a Lexus to a Buick. I do see people jumping from Acura, Infiniti, Saab, Volvo, Avalons, Genesis, Maximas, more so to this Buick.

For example it seems the Buick Enclave has really taken sales from the Acura MDX. Both are big 7 seaters. Enclave sales are very strong and beat the MDX many months now.

Old 09-20-09, 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lims407
haha my grandma wouldn't even drive buick...
Why? Do you like YOUR Buick so much that you won't ever let her drive it?
Old 09-20-09, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't see many people jumping from a Lexus to a Buick.
IS, GS, RX, or LS owners, probably not..........I agree wth you. But, some ES owners just might, especially those who own 2006 and later models.

For example it seems the Buick Enclave has really taken sales from the Acura MDX. Both are big 7 seaters. Enclave sales are very strong and beat the MDX many months now.
True, but the Enclave is larger on the outside, and MUCH larger inside than the MDX......especially the 3rd-row seat. It is also much more plushly trimmed inside......but, to be honest, much of the Enclave's lavish-looking wood/tone and chrome on the surface is actually a surface coat of flash, with much of the same old GM plastic underneath. The steering wheel, though, is real wood.

Old 09-20-09, 05:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Buick's advertsing will need to be versatile. The Lucerne goes away in 2011 and Lacrosse will become their flagship sedan. The advertsing will have to appeal to the traditional Buick sedan buyer, and also reach out to the wider audience they're after.

Last edited by LexBob2; 09-20-09 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-20-09, 05:50 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

i hope lexus makes commercials that respond to GM like they did with Audi when the germans were getting cheeky
Old 09-20-09, 05:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
i hope lexus makes commercials that respond to GM like they did with Audi when the germans were getting cheeky
That's an interesting idea, but it made sense with Audi as they are a luxury competitor, particularly internationally, and in general brand level. However, Buick is only a major competitor to the top-flight luxury brands in China, and in the US they are not as big a factor--more competition for upmarket models of mainstream brands (Toyota Avalon etc). It might be 'lowering to their level' to respond directly to GM, and it would also validate their argument that Lexus and GM are competing at the same table, when for the most part they aren't.
Old 09-20-09, 06:00 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by RXSF
Well, Audi is getting cheeky again. But Lexus isn't their only target. Just saw a commercial tonight for the A5. Oh well...
Old 09-20-09, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Buick's advertsing will need to be versatile. The Lucerne goes away in 2011 and Lacrosse will become their flagship sedan.
Bummer. Getting rid of the Lucerne is something that is going to have to be seriously re-thought. That's going to cost them....at a time when GM is trying to pull out of bankrupcy. Not only is the Lucerne extremely popular with Buick's traditional buyers, but it is also Bob Lutz's favorite car.......he, in fact, exhanged his chauffer-driven Cadillac for one.

If Buick/GM drops the Lucerne, then goes back to Congress for even more more money, Congress would be justified telling them to jump in the lake.

Quick Reply: Buick billboard targets Lexus AND new GM ads vs Toyota/Lexus