Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick billboard targets Lexus AND new GM ads vs Toyota/Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 06:18 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching the Cowboys-Giants game right now and just saw an add for the LaCrosse where it compairs directly to the ES.

They've even got a guy that sounds like the Lexus voice-over.
Old 09-20-09, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
Watching the Cowboys-Giants game right now and just saw an add for the LaCrosse where it compairs directly to the ES.
They slipped a Buick ad in between all the Bud Light/Miller Lite commercials? Bud and Miller completely dominate the pro-sports ad slots.....you would think they own all of the teams.
Old 09-20-09, 09:08 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
All excellent examples of why GM and Chrysler are financial disasters, other than the Vette which could be a standalone viable product.
Exactly. The old GM never got it and it appears the new GM still doesn't get it. C'mon, a Buick is at the same level as a Lexus? Then what does the Cadillac compete with? Maybe a Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach?

The Cadillac should be up against Lexus and Chevy competes with Toyota. Buick is an in-betweener just like the Mercury...
Old 09-20-09, 09:18 PM
LexFather

Again, I don't see a bunch of Lexus owners jumping to Buick. Funny your brought up Caddy Trexus but I see Caddy owners moving to this Buick!

Old 09-21-09, 04:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester

They've even got a guy that sounds like the Lexus voice-over.
Saw that (but my sound wasn't working at the time). Doesn't seem like a wise ad campaign.
Old 09-21-09, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
Exactly. The old GM never got it and it appears the new GM still doesn't get it. C'mon, a Buick is at the same level as a Lexus? Then what does the Cadillac compete with? Maybe a Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach?
Well, that's just it. There isn't much difference between today's Buicks and Cadillacs. BOTH of them are somewhat closer to Lexus products than they used to be.....and, on the average, Buick produces markedly more reliable vehicles than Cadillac, most of whose vehicles were below average in reliability, while Buicks are above average, according to Consumer Reports.

But, no, Cadillac does NOT compete with the RR/Bentley/Maybach class. Those cars can run 300-400K. Cadillacs top out around 90K for the XLR-V, which is soon to be discontinued anyway.
Old 09-21-09, 12:59 PM
shinmei
Driver School Candidate

GM is a joke...

i know this is a toyota board...

but the chevy ad with howie long making fun of a honda lawn mower....come on now...honda is pretty good at their target market of reliable economy cars lol.
Old 09-21-09, 04:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I stopped at a Buick dealership this afternoon to look at the Lacrosse and the sales rep said they don't have any and aren't sure when they will. They were supposed to get 8 or 9 cars initially.

That's unfortunate since magazine ads have been out for a while and TV advertising has started.
Old 09-21-09, 04:45 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

My local buick dealer told me same thing. He had about 3 total that had come to the dealership since its official launch and then never saw any after that.

Told me it had somehting to do with quality which is why they pulled back many of the cars and have delayed inventory shipments.

Iv yet to see one in real...looks promising though from exterior and interior shots
Old 09-22-09, 05:11 AM
LexFather

Yeah pretty stupid to run the ads now when there are no cars to sell. We had a thread about the cars being pulled back b/c of quality issues.

Its always funny to see "also ran" companies try to target others as if they have stood still all these years. I commend Buick for trying but it maybe too little to late a common trend with GM/Chrysler

Old 09-22-09, 05:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Buick is about the only brand that has older drivers than Lexus. I suppose Oldsmoblie and Cadillac use to be up there as well as far as pleasing the over 50 crowd, but Cadillac has done a nice job in targeting the younger buyers.
Dies any body have a ranking as far as which brand has the oldest owners or driver?
Old 09-22-09, 05:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Buick is about the only brand that has older drivers than Lexus. I suppose Oldsmoblie and Cadillac use to be up there as well as far as pleasing the over 50 crowd, but Cadillac has done a nice job in targeting the younger buyers.
Dies any body have a ranking as far as which brand has the oldest owners or driver?

Got to be Buick.
Old 09-22-09, 05:39 AM
LexFather

I was 18 driving a Lexus, I will be 118 driving a Lexus. As people live longer and the elderly population booms I expect every company's avg age of buyer to rise.

Buick doesn't race like Lexus, has no IS or GS like Lexus, no IS-F, no F-sport parts, no coupes, no convertibles its apples to oranges from a product standpoint. They have 3 vehicles.

Yes 3 vehicles. Amazingly Buick is I believe 5th in luxury sales with ONLY 3 vehicles.

Old 09-22-09, 09:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Yes 3 vehicles. Amazingly Buick is I believe 5th in luxury sales with ONLY 3 vehicles.
And none are noteworthy except for the latest one. Gotta start somewhere. Strip out fleet/rental sales and they would be even weaker in the segment.
Old 09-22-09, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Does any body have a ranking as far as which brand has the oldest owners or driver?
Originally Posted by Joeb427
Got to be Buick.
No. Not by a long shot.....which is a point I've been making for awhile.

According to cars.com......a well-respected webste on auto-sales matters, Buick new-car-buyer average-age is considerably less than Mercedes.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...conomy-mo.html

And while Buick is typically the butt of jokes about buyers who are somewhere between retired and deceased, the average age of a Buick shopper last year was 55.2 years old, considerably younger than the average 63.6-year-old Mercedes-Benz shopper.

Quick Reply: Buick billboard targets Lexus AND new GM ads vs Toyota/Lexus