Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Former Toyota USA COO Jim Press is in some deep financial doo-doo

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 04:50 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Jim Press saga: A hero falls, hard
Bradford Wernle
and Mark Rechtin
Automotive News | October 26, 2009 - 12:01 am EST

Today Press is no longer the voice of Chrysler. He works in a small office at Chrysler headquarters with no direct reports and no company responsibilities, trying to repair his personal finances and find a job.

Chrysler's one-time savior is out of action.
Just sad...very sad. I hope he finds another job soon...
Old 10-27-09, 05:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, interesting article, and also a bit sad. I do think this shows that Mr. Press' greatest strength is PR, combined with a solid company and operating principles to back them up. At Toyota, he excelled in part because the company, product, and consumer acceptance were there for him to capitalize on, and expound on his publicity/morale boosting skills. At Chrysler, a lineup in shambles, the pain of closing dealerships requiring a bad cop/good cop routine--he was no match for the turmoil of the company.

One tidbit that stuck out for me in that article--I was assuming that he was transferred to NY, after being promoted as the first non-Japanese to TMC's board, was because he went from top dog in the US to one of many on a Japanese board; plus he was perhaps less comfortable with his tasks and the decision hierarchy there. However that was just an assumption...

...so it turns out that he was transferred because the company didn't like his personal decisions, divorcing his wife and marrying someone way younger, etc? The earlier article posted talked about how shocked people were at a company Lexus meeting when he brought his new girlfriend/wife to the event. I was wondering how those issues figure in TMC moving him to NY, and generally making it uncomfortable for him at the firm.
Old 10-27-09, 05:21 PM
LexFather

Why the hell is Nardelli who couldn't run a deli, even an ADVISER? It also states he was very much a big part of the problem. Hello, Home Depot track record...

A former Chrysler executive says relations among the executives were tense, particularly between Press and Nardelli. In particular, the executive says, Nardelli resented the good publicity Press received.

Cerberus officials declined comment. Nardelli, who has left Chrysler, still works for Cerberus as an adviser.