Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Crash Test: '59 Chevy vs. '09 Chevy (not pretty)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 04:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Improved safety of cars was a good thing, but a huge number of additional lives could be saved by better training of drivers. Still killing 37,000 people with the safe automobiles we have to day is a disgrace. Unfortunately our system puts little emphasis into proper education and training. A few hours behind the wheel and a joke of a licensing system puts ill trained, young drivers on the road. The combination if inexperience, drugs and alcohol is a deadly cocktail. And we never retest people, so bad habits just get reinforced. We should demand better, but we won't.
I think the biggest problem and cause of accidents is inattentiveness and plain carelessness along with aggressive driving.

Americans remain very distracted while driving (cell phones, eating, distraction of passengers, ect..).

You can train a driver to be an expert but if they're not paying attention it doesn't do much good.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't forget, though.......we're talking about a difference here of 40 years in safety technology. All other things equal (in other words, with roughly the same amount of safety gear in both cars), the laws of physics and kinetic energy will prevail, and, in general, a larger, heavier car will be deformed less than a smaller, lighter car.

Case in point: The Smart-for-Two is very well-done, safety-wise, by modern standards, for a tiny car its size...but here is what happens when a Smart is run head-on into larger, heavier modern cars...in this case, a Mercedes C300:

50 years.

I think the biggest problem with the Smart is the whiplash effect of being launched by a bigger object. Analyzing the frame/cabin after the crash shows that there's barely any intrusion into the passenger space. (the pic above seems worse because the Benz's metal is wrapped around the Smart - it's not actually intruded that much).
Old 09-20-09, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
I think the biggest problem and cause of accidents is inattentiveness and plain carelessness along with aggressive driving.

Americans remain very distracted while driving (cell phones, eating, distraction of passengers, ect..).
Traditionally, alcohol/drugs and speeding have been the top killers. You have a point, though, that multi-tasking is becoming an increasing problem.

50 years.
OK, you got me on that one.

I think the biggest problem with the Smart is the whiplash effect of being launched by a bigger object. Analyzing the frame/cabin after the crash shows that there's barely any intrusion into the passenger space. (the pic above seems worse because the Benz's metal is wrapped around the Smart - it's not actually intruded that much).
Yes, the whiplash/bounceback of the Smart is directly caused by the large difference in kinetic energy between the two moving vehicles.........and the very light weight and high center of gravity in the Smart.

The Smart can be a real deathtrap, though, even with its (admittedly) rigid safety-roll cage, if it hits something the right way. There are some awful pictures on the Internet of completely crushed Smart cabins and decapitated occupants, but I didn't post them because I considered them too explicit for a public forum post.
Old 09-21-09, 12:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No surprise given the advancements in safety technology over the last few decades, especially with frontal crash protection.