Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM makes better engines than toyota. ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 01:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Those are not the top of the line V8's. BMW S65 makes 414hp out of 4L. MB's C63 AMG makes 452hp out of 6.2L while Toyota/Lexus is making 415hp out of 5L on ISF. All normally aspirated so no forced induction distortions. BMW is making the most specific HP while MB is clearly gone torque/displacement happy and Lexus engine is doing nothing in between.
BMW is making the most specific HP, but it revs up to 8500 RPM. Will this engine be reliable? The engine in the previous gen M3, and to a lesser extent the previous gen M5, were disasters from reliability standpoint.
Old 09-23-09, 01:50 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 753 Likes on 523 Posts

The M3 and the C63 also have the gas guzzler tax.
Old 09-23-09, 01:51 PM
LexFather

Those are not the top of the line V8's. BMW S65 makes 414hp out of 4L. MB's C63 AMG makes 452hp out of 6.2L while Toyota/Lexus is making 415hp out of 5L on ISF. All normally aspirated so no forced induction distortions. BMW is making the most specific HP while MB is clearly gone torque/displacement happy and Lexus engine is doing nothing in between. And for original topic's sake, LS7 from GM is making same kind of specific HP/TQ that AMG is making. 505hp out of 7L V8. Clearly LS7 >> 5L V8 from ISF
Did I say I was comparing top of the line engines? I compared one class of engines.

You help prove my point, showing how they have MORE displacement and MORE power. Lexus does more with less.

Yes the BMW M3 makes 414hp to the IS-F 416hp with less displacement, but it has 295lbs of torque to the IS-Fs 376lbs of torque. THe M3 is a higher revving motor, the IS-F don't sing as high.

Again, I am not arguing one is better than the other. I am saying traditionally Lexus does more with less displacement.

Old 09-23-09, 01:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

To be honest the IS-F engine isn't even a sports car engine. Its a barely tuned engine out of a luxury boat, and its simply remarkable how well it stacks up against the competition.
Old 09-23-09, 02:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
The M3 and the C63 also have the gas guzzler tax.
How great simple point.

Old 09-23-09, 02:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

GM vs Toyota thread now becomes BMW/Mercedes vs. Lexus
Old 09-23-09, 02:52 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Yeah, but the Germans make more torque and at lower RPM.
You now, bigger displacement with a longer stroke would usually do that.
Old 09-23-09, 03:14 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by GSteg
GM vs Toyota thread now becomes BMW/Mercedes vs. Lexus
We also had some Acura sprinkled in there. All the CL favorites
Old 09-23-09, 03:23 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is Lexus doing more with less in that V8? You could make a case BMW is doing more with less since it's making most specific HP. You could make a case C63 or even LS7 is doing more - certainly not with less - b/c it's making more HP and more TQ. Lexus is just doing it halfway.

Max TQ is generally correlated to the displacement so it's no surprise LS7 with 7L makes most TQ and BMW make the least with 4L while MB #2 and Lexus #3 which lines up exactly. Yet in HP it's 414 BMW, 415 ISF, 451 MB, and 505 LS7. Among those 4, ISF is clearly bring up the rear.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

You help prove my point, showing how they have MORE displacement and MORE power. Lexus does more with less.

Yes the BMW M3 makes 414hp to the IS-F 416hp with less displacement, but it has 295lbs of torque to the IS-Fs 376lbs of torque. THe M3 is a higher revving motor, the IS-F don't sing as high.

Again, I am not arguing one is better than the other. I am saying traditionally Lexus does more with less displacement.
Old 09-23-09, 03:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
We also had some Acura sprinkled in there. All the CL favorites
SPRINKLE ME BABY!!! The Acura 3.7 engine makes 300 or 306hp. The Lexus 3.5 makes 280, 303 or 306hp. The Lexus engines are faster, more efficient and award winning. The Nissan 3.7 makes 330hp and what 350hp with the Nismo Z?

Old 09-23-09, 03:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have more confidence in the Toyota 3.5L V6 than the GM 3.6L.
However,I do have some knocking,rattling oil starved type noise on the wife RX when cold that lasts awhile which I don't like.
Old 09-23-09, 03:31 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

How is Lexus doing more with less in that V8? You could make a case BMW is doing more with less since it's making most specific HP. You could make a case C63 or even LS7 is doing more - certainly not with less - b/c it's making more HP and more TQ. Lexus is just doing it halfway.

Max TQ is generally correlated to the displacement so it's no surprise LS7 with 7L makes most TQ and BMW make the least with 4L while MB #2 and Lexus #3 which lines up exactly. Yet in HP it's 414 BMW, 415 ISF, 451 MB, and 505 LS7. Among those 4, ISF is clearly bring up the rear.
It all comes down to what you want the engine to do. The MB and LSx engines have the most oomph. The BMW engine is a screamer that has to be fun at the track (I haven't had that opportunity) but can be (comparatively) gutless in everyday driving. The Lexus engine can't be wrung as much as the M3 and it doesn't have the brute force of the MB/LSx engines but it does offer a solid punch while also offering the best fuel economy

Sure fuel economy doesn't matter as much in these applications, but it's still something.
Old 09-23-09, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I have more confidence in the Toyota 3.5L V6 than the GM 3.6L.
However,I do have some knocking,rattling oil starved type noise on the wife RX when cold that lasts awhile which I don't like.
Are you letting the oil pressure and oil temperature come up a little by letting it idle for 30 seconds or so on a cold start before you drive off? (longer, of course, in cold weather). And are you also using the correct recommended oil viscosity for your car? Too-thick oil will not start flowing when cold as fast as thinner oil does. And do you keep the RPM down (below about 3000 or so) when cold.....cold being defined as an engine temperature of less than 140 degrees, when the needle on the temperature gauge is at the low end of normal? If so, and you are still getting knocking sounds when cold, that could indicate any one of a number of problems from an oil leak to worn lifters to piston slap. Piston slap, though, is usually minor, and generally does not hurt the engine. It occurs when there is slightly more than enough clearance between the pistons and cylinder walls when cold, and the pistons literally rattle as they go up and down. As they warm up, of course, the pistons expand, fill in the gaps, and stop rattling. Boxer-type engines on Subarus and Porsches used to have that problem, but it has been worked out of the newer ones.
Old 09-23-09, 03:59 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you letting the oil pressure and oil temperature come up a little by letting it idle for 30 seconds or so on a cold start before you drive off? (longer, of course, in cold weather). And are you also using the correct viscosity?......too-thick oil will not start flowing when cold as fast as thinner oil does. and do you keep the RPM down (below about 3000 or so) when cold.....cold being defined as an engine temperature of less than 140 degrees, when the needle on the temperature gauge is at the low end of normal? If so, and you are still getting knocking sounds when cold, that could indicate any one of a number of problems from an oil leak to worn lifters to piston slap. Piston slap, though, is usually minor, and generally does not hurt the engine. It occurs when there is slightly more than enough clearance between the pistons and cylinder walls when cold, and the pistons literally rattle as they go up and down. As they warm up, of course, the pistons expand, fill in the gaps, and stop rattling. Boxer-type engines on Subarus and Porsches used to have that problem, but it has been worked out of the newer ones.
15K miles and it's done this for a long time,mm.
The car is always warmed up at least a minute in warm weather and much longer in cold weather.I'm in the winter 10 minute warm up club and low RPMs till the temp gauge needle is moving toward Normal.
I went with dealer changes every 5K miles and just switched over to Amsoil 0w30 to see if that would quiet things down and I still have the knocking.Might go with Amsoil 5w30 and see if that helps.
Of course the dealer says it's normal.I'll go with that for just a little while longer.
Old 09-23-09, 04:06 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stock dyno numbers (rwhp) will quell all of this banter..

Quick Reply: GM makes better engines than toyota. ?