Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM makes better engines than toyota. ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 04:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
SPRINKLE ME BABY!!! The Acura 3.7 engine makes 300 or 306hp. The Lexus 3.5 makes 280, 303 or 306hp. The Lexus engines are faster, more efficient and award winning. The Nissan 3.7 makes 330hp and what 350hp with the Nismo Z? [/IMG]
What I've noticed with the Nissan VQ engine, is that they get bigger in displacement, with more horsepower than the IS's 3.5 for example, yet the torque is STILL lesser than the Lexus's. Clearly Lexus/Toyota know how to make an engine with some punch all while retaining smoothness and reliability.
Old 09-23-09, 04:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,990 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you letting the oil pressure and oil temperature come up a little by letting it idle for 30 seconds or so on a cold start before you drive off? (longer, of course, in cold weather). And are you also using the correct recommended oil viscosity for your car? Too-thick oil will not start flowing when cold as fast as thinner oil does. And do you keep the RPM down (below about 3000 or so) when cold.....cold being defined as an engine temperature of less than 140 degrees, when the needle on the temperature gauge is at the low end of normal? If so, and you are still getting knocking sounds when cold, that could indicate any one of a number of problems from an oil leak to worn lifters to piston slap. Piston slap, though, is usually minor, and generally does not hurt the engine. It occurs when there is slightly more than enough clearance between the pistons and cylinder walls when cold, and the pistons literally rattle as they go up and down. As they warm up, of course, the pistons expand, fill in the gaps, and stop rattling. Boxer-type engines on Subarus and Porsches used to have that problem, but it has been worked out of the newer ones.
None of this applies. Lexus has 5 iterations of redesigned cam gears to address this issue. It's because the pin intended to lock the sprocket to the cam drive while oil pressure is low doesn't work properly. There has been a TSIB and now an LSB for this since 2007. It's a problem and most owners have experienced it. I traded in my IS350 for my IS-F partly because of this.
Old 09-23-09, 04:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,990 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Stock dyno numbers (rwhp) will quell all of this banter..
No, they'll just further confuse the issue by putting gearing between the engine's output and the drive wheels. Gearing makes all the difference because I really don't care how much absolute torque an engine makes as long as I can convert the engine's horsepower to the torque I need at the wheel using the gearbox and final drive. Some drivers won't like it because they don't like to rev the engine to the place where it makes power, but if you want the most from any engine, you need to run it where it makes best power, not best torque. Torque makes you feel good. Horsepower moves you down the road.

And GM builds some really great engines. I'm glad to see they're finally moving the lessons they've learned with the LS series into engines with fewer cylinders. The LS engines are truly incredible - they're efficient, they're light, and despite what some would like you to believe, they're reliable.
Old 09-23-09, 05:06 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Numbers aren't everything. Is it quieter? How does it hold up over the years?
exactly my point. which engine you think will actually make it to 300k gm or toyota?
Old 09-24-09, 04:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
None of this applies. Lexus has 5 iterations of redesigned cam gears to address this issue. It's because the pin intended to lock the sprocket to the cam drive while oil pressure is low doesn't work properly. There has been a TSIB and now an LSB for this since 2007. It's a problem and most owners have experienced it. I traded in my IS350 for my IS-F partly because of this.

So there's no fix for the startup knocking?
Will the pin issue shorten engine life,Lobuxracer?
Old 09-24-09, 05:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Bottom line is GM and Ford are making some nice engines with good numbers, these engines are world class, BMW and MB have nothing over them in the same price range, engine wise.
Old 09-24-09, 10:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
Bottom line is GM and Ford are making some nice engines with good numbers, these engines are world class, BMW and MB have nothing over them in the same price range, engine wise.
Yup, GM and Ford are getting their engine game right.

Old 09-24-09, 07:41 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Put 80,000 miles on a GM, then see what happens
I think our 4.0l Northstar made it 20k miles before it had any problems.

I do like that you can the 3.6L GM motor with a MT. Something Toyota does not offer. And the GS350 gets 1 MPG less Hwy than the CTS, but 1 MPG more in the city.