Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

FisforFast Reviewed: Lamborghini LP670-4 Super Veloce

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 04:01 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FisforFast Reviewed: Lamborghini LP670-4 Super Veloce

A couple of months back I was given the opportunity to drive the new Lamborghini Murciélago LP670-4 Super Veloce by my good friend Jean-Phillipe of John Scotti Lamborghini in downtown Montreal and since I'm on a roll here, I decided to write a little review about it.

Not unlike its fellow competitors Ferrari, Aston Martin and Porsche, Lamborghini has taken a liking to creating special version of its models even more powerful than their already dynamic siblings, and this especially when these said siblings are at the end of their model runs. This is certainly the case with the Murcielago that Lamborghini progressively stowed away starting with the LP640-4 variant.

Here's the rundown:

Lamborghini Murciélago LP670-4 Super Veloce
Category: Coupé
Price range: CAD $354,000 - $425,000 As tested: Not entirely sure...
Warranty: 2 yrs/unlimited, 2 yrs/unlimited
Assembly: Sant'Agata, Italy

Tested:
6.5L V12 48 val.
670 bhp / 487 ft/lbs. tq.
e-Gear Automated Manual

After the Reveton, with a limited production of 20 units last year which were sold almost a million euros each, Lamborghini offers us the LP670-4 Super Veloce, a one-year deal which will be produced at 350 units and sold for only a $100,000 markup over the top-of-the-line Murcielago. Even with this premium, the SV is still a steal compared to the Reventon (for comparable performance) which is nonetheless much more exclusive. John Scotti Lamborghini currently has the only LP670-4 in Canada - now that's exclusive enough for me.

In the universe of the Sant'Agata manufacturer, the most performing versions of their creations receive special nomenclatures. Thusly, the Gallardo adopts the appelation Superlegerra, a much lighter and faster version than the base model. This tradition carries on in the Murcielago, a lighter, faster, LP640 on steroids, which takes on the name Super Veloce, borrowed from the high-performance version of the Miura in the '70s and the Diablo in the '90s. In the case of this newborn Murcielago, the designers have taken it further and modified the technical designation of the car: from LP640, she became the LP670-4 SV, in order to reflect the raw power of the engine which has passed from 640 hp in the base model to 670 in this special edition.

It is almost certain the the majority of SV buyers will opt for the gigantic rear spoiler called the 'Aeropack,' proposed as an option and this, even if it reduces the top speed of the car due to additional drag. The good side of the deal? Increased adherence in the corners, seeing as the spoiler is highly functional and actually does help with downforce. Unfortunately, my first tester car did not come with this option, but the LP640 I tested at the Mont-Tremblant circuit a few weeks prior, however, did (more on that later).

Take place inside the cockpit and you are instantly submersed in an alternate universe... the sports-suede seats, which's stitching accents the exterior color, reminds you you're in a bonafide, street-legal race car. A plethora of SV logos and stitching reminds you that you're in a very special version of the Murcielago family. The suede and stiching continues on to the dash and even into the headliner, wrapping around the carbon fiber-trimed center console. The attention to detail is truly remarkable. The SV version can be easily recognized from the accentuated, aerodynamic curves found in the body pannels, decals on the outside and a two-toned body colour (ours was black and yellow).

Start the engine with a push of a button and put the car into gear. A quick mash of the accelerator pedal will bring you well over the legal speed limit in under 4 seconds, all of that in still first gear. The e-Gear transmission is a bit better than the one found in the Gallardo and consequently the Audi R8, but putting it in AUTO mode is a big no no. I have found that even in city driving and highway driving, keeping it in manual mode minimizes the jerkyness most people don't like about the robotized manual transmissions, as advised by my friend Jean-Phillipe who rode along with me. I did not try the 'Corsa' or 'Sport' mode. Sketchy weather and road conditions in and around the downtown area of Montreal did not permit. Albeit the seats being comfortable, the suspension setup in the SV and the stiffened frame contribute to a rocky ride but exceptional handling. Steering response is lightning-quick - in short, this thing goes where you point it, although the steering radius made me feel like I was driving a milk truck sometimes. It's definitely very tight steering.

I feel that the AWD drive system that we have in Murcielago in general is truly top notch. It's an 85-25 split rear-biased system which is truly remarkable. I can't remember if the paddles where steering or column mounted but I remember that they had a nice, responsive feel to them like the buttons on the center stack. They all have a decisive feel to them; you never press a button and wonder if you've engaged whatever function you're trying to have work. There's always a rewarding 'click' that lets you know your maneuver has been successful.

Now, in comparison with the base Murcielago, the SV is built on a tighter steel chassis, its body makes a much more exhaustive use of carbon fiber materials and its interior has been all but feathered in order to trim off more than 250 lbs. of weight from its heavier sibling. The SV's engine is responsive and breathes like an olympic swimmer thanks to four intakes; two located at the base of the super car below the doors, and two more located right above them. Now the latter only operated either at high speed or when the engine is hot; not only does it allow the engine to breath considerably better, it also helps to cool down this beast of an engine. Jean-Phillipe pointed out that these flaps were absolutely necessary in order to keep the engine cool, which made sense seeing as a lot of Lamborghini have been reported to overheat in traffic. Now that has to be costly.

The LP640 was obviously the first high-powered model of the revered Murcielago and I've had the opportunity last year to take one out on the track at the Mont-Tremblant circuit about an hour or two north of Montreal. As I exited the pits of the circuit, the sublime V12 engine made its presence known with a deep, gurgly rumble. A severe case of whiplash is guaranteed were one to accelerate abruptly whilst going into the straigth. The model in question was equipped with an easy-to-control six-speed manual transmission. In all honesty a five-year-old could operate this gearbox, it literally drives itself. Come to think of it, a five-year-old couldn't drive this gearbox. It feels like there's a gremlin inside the gearshift pulling in the opposite direction. The gearshift is notchy and difficult to operate, but it's bearable. I've seen better gearshifts in a 1999 Nissan Sentra, though. In the corners though, you really feel that this is a big car. The brakes on the LP640 are 'just' at stopping the 1600 kilos. Anything less than the big-*** Brembos that are slapped on there would have you tearing up the freshly cut grass in the decor. In the corner exits is where the Murcielago really shines; it is quick back to speed, and throw you back in your seat as you jam the pedal to the floor and experience very, very minimal loss of traction. Push it too hard in a corner, though, and you'll experience some tread chuckle; the horrible sound often associated with understeer. The LP640 could benefit from a softer steering feel here. This car really benefits from the AWD system.

All in all the SV is a wonderful ride but I really don't see how anyone could justify owning one of these things. It has no luxury amenities that are found in the other Lamborghinis and in certain Ferraris and is an unbearable ride at best. That being said, however, if you can afford it, get it: you won't be disappointed.

To sum it all up...

The Good:
- Exclusiveness is almost guaranteed
- Fire-breathing dragon that is the V12 engine of the SV
- All wheel drive is always a plus
- Unbelievable - and unexploitable - power
- At the fine edge of technology

The Bad:
- Stratospheric pricing, especially when optioned out
- Manual transmission (LP640) is notchy and heavy, albeit easy to drive
- Unreliable, prone to overheating especially in hotter climates
- Unbearable ride
- Steers like a truck at low speeds

Last edited by FisforFast; 09-23-09 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-23-09, 05:33 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

that interior is ridonkulous
Old 09-23-09, 05:36 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

momma-mia!