Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 09:52 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Does it have rear and/or front lock, or is just just front and rear LSD's with center lock?
Locking centre and rear are standard on the the Trail Edition.

33 degrees angle of approach on the front.
Old 09-24-09, 10:20 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

I am not surprised the V8 was dropped with new fuel economy standards and toyota's new generation of powerful v6's. I liked the late 90s body style much more than the current one. I see alot of the late 90s 4runner and the FJ in this one, in a few years I might pick one of these up
Old 09-24-09, 10:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
This post above is silly and should be deleted. More space, more power, more features, third FOLD FLAT with a solid axle, KDSS, more capability, more MPG...with NO PRICE INCREASE.

A job well done for Toyota...it looks like they are back on track.
We could say the same thing about a lot of your posts. Leave the moderating to moderators.

Seems Toyota has a hit on their hands. Glad they stayed true to its off-road roots.

Old 09-24-09, 01:22 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My short thoughts:

-I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but supposedly the 4-cyl only gets 1 mpg better than the 6-cyl in the city, and gets no better mpg on the highway. What the hell was Toyota thinking? Not to mention it's only like 150-160hp and the 4runner is bigger and heavier than ever.
-39 grand and it still doesn't have leather???
-Not a fan at all of the new exterior styling... a step back. Thought it could grow on me
-I'm iffy on the interior styling. It's a combination of nice Toyota interior combined with what looks like some inspiration from the Honda Ridgerunt interior (which I hate) and some of the FJ cruiser's interior (which I don't care for either)
- 5-speed auto is kinda disappointing. I expected a 6-speed
- Edmunds lists front wheels at 17" and rear wheels at 18" in the specifications section... surely that's wrong.

No thanks... I'll stick with our current 4runner quite happily. We probably won't be replacing it for another 5-6 years anyway so when we do maybe we can check out the next generation. More than likely we'll move to something unibody, though, and no bigger than our current 4runner.

Last edited by Threxx; 09-24-09 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 01:25 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I will stick to what I said it looks like a great replacement for my 02 Pathfinder. Interior door panel is surely from Nissan though.
Old 09-24-09, 02:00 PM
LexFather

Toyota »
“Party Mode” raises the bass and transfers the equalization to the rear to provide excellent outside audio for tailgating.

Old 09-24-09, 02:14 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Party mode is a pretty cool concept, but I find the fact that they dedicated an entire button to a simple audio EQ control a bit strange. That setting should be somewhere in the menu on the radio. That's about as corny as putting a "super bass boost" button on the steering wheel.
Old 09-24-09, 02:31 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

HAHAHA I love the Party Mode button for bragging rights alone.
Old 09-24-09, 03:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a previous 4Runner owner, I have mixed emotions about the truck...overall I like everything but the design, which is a big deal to most people.

Looking at the exterior I see a Highlander on steroids. The new front end looks like a beefy Highlander, and from the side Toyota simply turned the Highlander's curves into creases for the 4Runner. The rear is "SUV-Generic" but the tail lights are very reminiscent of the Tundra. Also, all three of those wheel designs are awful IMO. The Limited looks like a ripoff of the Mercury Mountaineer, the SR5 is just ugly, and the Trail looks like something you pulled out of the scrap bin at a 4x4 store. Additionally...I really don't understand the lack of body cladding on something that is supposed to be a dedicated off roader. Anyone who spends time on the trails knows how important that is and how much of a PITA paint is. The exterior looks a little unfinished to me for some reason, and I can't put my hand on why.

Looking inside, the overall design is just a tad...cheap. All of the painted plastic accents, upright dashboard and HVAC controls, the design of the door panels...it just reminds me of the XTerra or FJ Cruiser. In fact, a 4-door FJ Cruiser seems like what they had in mind when designing this thing. To me, the current interior has a bit more appeal and looks a little bit more acceptable to mainstream America. So many of the details on the 2010 seem to say, "I'M THE ANTI-HIGHLANDER!" rather than "This is a 4Runner". Overall I think the interior looks a bit gimmicky and I would have a hard time swallowing it if I was looking for a Limited 4X4 model (probably close to $50 large).

Once you get past the odd and trendy styling I really like what they did with it. The new V6 sounds like a welcome replacement for both the old unit and the V8, the suspension options are incredible, and the size, technology, and features really sound great. I just can't love the styling, inside or out, from the pictures.

While it seems like the soul of the 4Runner lives on, it looks to me like it's appeal has been exaggerated through design, and to some extent played out. The 4Runner has always been the discreet anti-soccer-mom car and this one seems to want you to take special note of its bad-boy capabilities. Not my style. The older 4Runners were kind of a mature gentlemen's midsize suv...this new one looks more like something for a 16 year old. That's really the best way that I can sum it up.

Then again...maybe I'm biased...

Last edited by MPLexus301; 09-24-09 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 03:12 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
and the Trail looks like something you pulled out of the scrap bin at a 4x4 store. Additionally...I really don't understand the lack of body cladding on something that is supposed to be a dedicated off roader. Anyone who spends time on the trails knows how important that is and how much of a PITA paint is. The exterior looks a little unfinished to me for some reason, and I can't put my hand on why.
I like the look of the Trail grade a lot. Looks very purpose-built and a lot less Highlander-like with the black grille and bumper. It has all the proper body cladding too if you haven't noticed already.

Last edited by Mister Two; 09-24-09 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 03:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The body of the 4Runner is nearly naked compared to previous versions. For someone who truly takes the car off road and gets things scratched, nicked, bumped and scraped, the more body cladding the better. It doesn't have to be tacky grey plastic like Toyota did with the Sport Edition in 2003, but just a piece that you can pull off and replace or repaint. It's a hell of a lot easier to replace a fender molding than it is to have the entire panel of your car filled, repainted, and buffed.

Little fender accents definitely don't cut it. Something like this is what is really necessary:
Attached Thumbnails First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner-untitled.jpg  
Old 09-24-09, 04:51 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've gotten the chance to drive a Land Cruiser Prado overseas (Lexus GX470 with less leather) and it is a great car. I wished the 4runner would become more like it.

My grip with 4runners is that the cabins always feel smaller than they should given the footprint of the car (accounting for body on frame). I would also be more excited if they offered a diesel.

That said, 4runners owners are very loyal so I think this thing will sell.

No hot tub for the party mode??
Old 09-24-09, 05:19 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Not really sure what it is about this new 4Runner, but my brain finds it very attractive even while my eyes are telling me it isn't. Strange feeling.
Old 09-24-09, 07:27 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Anyone else think that its weird that this doesnt come with a 6MT option like the FJ does?
Old 09-24-09, 07:35 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Whats the point of getting the 4-cylinder model if it can only achieve 1mpg more than the V6 with drastically less power? Sounds like a good way to lower the starting price.

Also I thought the V8 in the current 4Runner didnt debut until a year later?

I like this new 4Runner a lot. Looks rugged and aggressive.

Quick Reply: First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner