Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 03:55 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Compared to other 4Runner generations, yes, your 4th gen 4Runner is not as capable off-roading in stock configuration.

This is not just my opinion, but that of many 4Runner owners and loyalists.

Fact is the 3rd and 4th gen 4Runners were targeted at more luxury-oriented buyers.

The first two 4Runner generations were more no-frills type SUVs, that focused more on off-roading performance and less on luxury or on-road manners.

This new 5th-gen model goes back to the roots of the first two generations. It's on-road manners are still quite nice, but the design and capability of the new 4Runner is clearly aimed at the off-roading "tough SUV" demographic rather than a luxury-oriented demographic.

You called it the worst 4runner because it is more refined than the older generations?

I have had 2nd gen, and also 3rd generation (both were JDM Hilux Surf with 1KZ-TE diesel motor). I don't think 4th gen is any less capable off roader than the previous gens but much more refined, and more powerful.

I just hate seeing all these crying babies on the internet forums talking trash about how 4th gen is not a true off roader and "too soft" to be 4runner.
Old 09-25-09, 07:27 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
uhh yeah, the worst 4runner and not good enough off-road?

Here is my 06.

nice, did you have to switch her into 4LO to pull off the side of the road like that?

j/k - the 4th gen is my favorite also, just needs a front lift and it's good to go. but seriously, you gotta put up a better pic than that when trying defend your ride
Old 09-25-09, 09:28 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
You have to consider that there are a few factors at work here:

1) The truck is at the end of it's life cycle

2) The economy is awful

3) SUV sales have slowed down as people are still in shock from gas prices

Considering all of that, the 4Runner still sold almost 50,000 units. There is CLEARLY a market here.
Clearly there is a market. With many SUVs from the GM/Ford etc going unibody or leaving the marketplace altogether it makes opportunity for Toyota to pick up the left over market share...also the KIA Borrego is trying hard at this.

50k in one year from a old 7 year old design is better that the Venza or Sequoia introductions in the 2008 model years.
Old 09-25-09, 09:38 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Compared to other 4Runner generations, yes, your 4th gen 4Runner is not as capable off-roading in stock configuration.
Excuse me but this is just opinion, not fact. There are very few things that the 3nd gen 4runner can do that the 4th gen can't and vice versa. The 3rd gen 4runner might have a slight advantage of ground clearance and dimensions but the 4th gen makes up for it with mechanical advantages such as DAC/Hill start (verygood for offroad), torsen and more torque.

Last edited by pagemaster; 09-25-09 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-25-09, 09:52 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I just hate seeing all these crying babies on the internet forums talking trash about how 4th gen is not a true off roader and "too soft" to be 4runner.
I agree. I love how people are stuck in the past. The 3rd gen powertrain is a little "wimpy" with the 3.4 V6.

I don't think 4th gen is any less capable off roader than the previous gens but much more refined, and more powerful.
No doubt about it.

Also, the frame of the 4th gen is much stronger than the 3rd gen.

3rd gen frame rails were 5.5" x 3"
4th gen frame rails were 6.3" x 3.3"

Stonger frames are better for off-roading.

Third gen had 8 crossmembers while the 4th gen has 9 fully-welded.

The 4th gen 4runner is a much stronger machine than the 3rd gen.
Old 09-26-09, 01:25 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Holy smokes batman...this truck has turn to crap..

I can't believe it! I 'm very very disappointed.. Did this truck really digress or go back in time in every way? I had the 1st year of the current 4-runners. My '03 was V8 Limited 2wd and i could literally go anywhere. What was wrong with the image of the current 4-runners except their gas drinking 'lil suckers..

The 2010 look so bad in my opinion - looks just like my dad's '93 Mitsubishi Montero (Inside and out) Did we go back in time.. WTH is happening here with Toyota??

I want to puke.. I'm disgusted with Toyota's direction of turning such a long time legacy of beautiful 4-runners into crap. .
Old 09-26-09, 04:42 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

So....... when everybody else does retro..it's cool. Toyota does it.....instant **** up.. wow. IMHO the only thing as cool as this SUV to come out recently has been the Venza. Everything else, just meh since they stopped making the MR-S.
Old 09-26-09, 07:23 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by replica

but seriously, you gotta put up a better pic than that when trying defend your ride
I had to call the towing company that day to get back on the paved road that day. weak car always fails me.
Old 09-26-09, 10:25 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I see this half of the time when a bigger, better, newer model comes out. Makes people feel inferior apparently. It gets old real quick.
Old 09-26-09, 10:51 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the 3rd gen was my fav partially because we owned one..I think the plastic fender flares are needed again, So when you trash the plastic you can just replace that instead of the whole fender instead of like that rear 1/4 panel/door in the new one
Old 09-26-09, 10:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I guess the current Landcruiser/LX570 has gone soft too since it emphasize more on luxury/comfort than the previous generations. Quite different from its original roots.
Old 09-26-09, 10:59 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
I guess the current Landcruiser/LX570 has gone soft too since it emphasize more on luxury/comfort than the previous generations. Quite different from its original roots.
Yeah, but look at trucks in general. Silverado, F150, Tundra. 10 years ago it wasn't about luxury and comfort. Now the automakers know that people will buy these who will never go offroad or haul/tow large loads.
Old 09-26-09, 12:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Whatever. Every generation has shown a nice improvement over the previous generation. IMO, Toyota has improved upon the previous gens weaknesses without compromising any of its strengths.
Old 09-26-09, 01:06 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
So....... when everybody else does retro..it's cool. Toyota does it.....instant **** up.. wow. IMHO the only thing as cool as this SUV to come out recently has been the Venza. Everything else, just meh since they stopped making the MR-S.
Retro is not cool, period. Retro is a business disaster in the auto industry. Retro happens when manufacturers run out of ideas, lack talent, and do not know how to progress FORWARD. So they run out of options and copy the past. This is not setting any new standard, not leading, and not standing out in front of the pack. It's a cheap way out and usually always fails. Retro cars appeal to a very small select group of people who buy the car when it debuts, but that's it. Usually heavy discounts follow soon after and the vehicle is discontined prematurely.
While I'm not so sure the new 4Runner is dripping with retro, it has definitely taken on a very truckish and old school persona. This again is appleaing to a small select portion of the market, which does not yield high volume. As mentioned before, I guess Toyota can afford to take this route, with so many other SUV's in the line-up picking up the slack.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 09-27-09 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-26-09, 02:34 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

New 2010 4runner is up on www.toyota.com

Quick Reply: First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner