Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 06:24 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I was at a Toyota dealer last night with my daughter and son in law buying a Highlander Limited and saw the new 4Runner.I really,really like the silver 4Runner Limited they had as a demo.From the side it looks very Lexus truck-like.Not many available yet but IMO Toyota hit a home run with the new design and also keeping the cost at close or at the '09 level.
Did I mention I really,really like this truck.
Mike,no review on the 4Runner?
What did you like about it above and beyond the 4runner other than looks? Did you drive it?

Just curious. We have an 05 4runner now and even though I plan to drive it for at least another 5 years before we replace it, I really think I'd rather have the unibody highlander than the 4runner since a smooth ride and fuel economy take priority for me over off roading and towing.
Old 01-07-10, 06:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
What did you like about it above and beyond the 4runner other than looks? Did you drive it?

Just curious. We have an 05 4runner now and even though I plan to drive it for at least another 5 years before we replace it, I really think I'd rather have the unibody highlander than the 4runner since a smooth ride and fuel economy take priority for me over off roading and towing.

I didn't drive it but it looked so nice.The Limited looks less off road trucky versus the other '10 4Runners I've seen in pics.
I really feel from the side view,the 4Runner looks very Lexus like.It looked classy and expensive.
My daughter bought a loaded Highlander Limited and I was a bit dissapointed with that truck at just over $40K.
Still very nice but I maybe I expected too much.I do love the exterior look of the Limited.She did get it for $500 over invoice.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-07-10 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 07:08 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I didn't drive it but it looked so nice.The Limited looks less off road trucky versus the other '10 4Runners I've seen in pics.
I really feel from the side view,the 4Runner looks very Lexus like.It looked classy and expensive.
My daughter bought a loaded Highlander Limited and I was a bit dissapointed with that truck at just over $40K.
Still very nice but I maybe I expected too much.I do love the exterior look of the Limited.She did get it for $500 over invoice.
What were you disappointed in about the Highlander? Seems to me that the RX350 doesn't really cost too much more $$ if you stay light on the options. Might have been a better choice?
Old 01-07-10, 07:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

What were you disappointed in about the Highlander? Seems to me that the RX350 doesn't really cost too much more $$ if you stay light on the options. Might have been a better choice?
True but my daughter's Highlander has every option except DVD entertainmant.A RX would be about $8K more equipped the same.
First,I like black leather or other dark leather and only a light gray and tannish color is available.
I like the exterior very much but the interior is ok but not as luxurious as I thought.
Then again, a more luxurious interior would hurt RX sales.The ride is ok and it's pretty quiet.No HIDs available.
All in all for the $500 over invoice of around $36700 loaded,it's still a nice vehicle that I would buy for the wife if a dark color leather was available.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-07-10 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 09:32 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've test driven the 2010 4Runner's and also loved them. While I miss the availability of the V8, the V6 definitely has enough get up and go for most driving. As JoeB said, they have a great presence to them. I had the 2003 4Runner and really liked that model as well. A lot of people are clamoring that the 2010 is missing some of the little features that the previous gen had.

I am happy Toyota kept the 4Runner and uses a 2 vehicle strategy for their mid-size SUV's, allowing the Highlander to be for the masses with greater emphasis on comfort, and the 4Runner to branch more towards the rugged side of the spectrum. This is similar to how Lexus utilizes the ES/IS combo for their small sedan market.

Some notes on features:

Full time 4WD is only available on the Limited this year, and the part time on the SR5 and Trails isn't intended for pavement use (no Torsen center diff).

The switched from an in-glass antenna to the old school screw in metal rod. Also lost the soft touch close on the tailgate, taillights are no longer LED, just to name a few changes.

The Trail grade definitely has a lot of key features not available before though, KDSS, Multi-Terrain Select, Crawl Control, etc.

Quick Drive thoughts:

I drove a Limited 4WD, and the materials inside felt very nice overall, nicely padded armrests on the doors, all of the controls on the dash feel pretty substantial. The new slide out cargo tray feature in the back is very nice, easier to reach things, and use as a quick "tailgate" type seat. Limited also has the SmartKey, which as Lexus/Toyota fans you're all familiar with. Nice Optitron gauges (on the Trail and Limited only).

Inside, you sit up a bit higher from the floor than previous 4Runners, which is nice. It is also quite a step inside the 4Runner. Even at 6 feet tall, I felt it was a little bit of a reach to get in. Once in, I felt that the seats were super comfortable, even in the back seat, which has a nice 40-20-40 split and reclines. Driver has a nice beefy steering wheel. The shifter is from the Tundra and feels huge! But again, it all fits with the car.

Seemed very quiet and composed on the drive. The ride was very smooth and controlled for a body-on-frame SUV, it may even be better than our 2005 RX330, which is a bit wallowy for my tastes. Absolutely no squeaks or rattles. Engine and transmission are very smooth, interesting "Eco" light in the dash to show you when you're being economical on the throttle. Brakes seemed firm and responsive as well.

Old 01-07-10, 09:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the good write-up, pbm317.

The lack of a center differential and on-pavement-use AWD for the non-Limited models is a serious marketing omission that Toyota should have taken care of years ago and has simply dragged their feet on. Even entry-level cute-utes like the RAV-4, Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, etc.....(all far less expensive vehicles), come with that option....as do all Subarus.
Old 01-07-10, 09:58 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well the previous gen 4Runners all had Center Diffs for use with their 4WD system, I think they called in Multi-Mode 4WD on the V6's. It allowed for 2WD operation, and 4WD High on the pavement. All the V8's had a full-time 4WD system.

However, the FJ's and I believe the Tacoma and Tundra, do not have that capability (much like the SR5 and Trail grade 2010 4Runners)

The FJ with a manual transmission has a full-time 4WD system though.
Old 01-07-10, 10:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I feel the 4Runner limited looks much,much better in person than in pics.At least the silver one I saw did,anyway.
Old 01-07-10, 11:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Well the previous gen 4Runners all had Center Diffs for use with their 4WD system, I think they called in Multi-Mode 4WD on the V6's. It allowed for 2WD operation, and 4WD High on the pavement. All the V8's had a full-time 4WD system.

However, the FJ's and I believe the Tacoma and Tundra, do not have that capability (much like the SR5 and Trail grade 2010 4Runners)

The FJ with a manual transmission has a full-time 4WD system though.
Personally, I would rather have a button to go between RWD and 4WD just like the old days.
Old 01-07-10, 01:10 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also started seeing these suckers on the road.

They look HUGE.
Old 01-07-10, 04:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the good write-up, pbm317.

The lack of a center differential and on-pavement-use AWD for the non-Limited models is a serious marketing omission that Toyota should have taken care of years ago and has simply dragged their feet on. Even entry-level cute-utes like the RAV-4, Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, etc.....(all far less expensive vehicles), come with that option....as do all Subarus.
mmarshal, didnt we have this discussion before? why do you keep doing this to yourself man? Subarus are full time, rav4/crv/outlander are part time, "just" like non-limited 4runners. Part time lock center differential to get AWD, while full time systems do it through transfer case which distributes power to each wheel (yes it has torsen central diff inside so it can change the ratio if wheels slip).
Old 01-07-10, 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. even 4th gen had part time for lower models, full time for limited... Full time system was indentical to GX (mechanically), just like this one now.
Old 01-07-10, 04:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

2010 has a lot of what you like ;-). Much smoother on payment, more luxurious everywhere, yet still rugged unlike Highlander.
Old 01-07-10, 05:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whoster
I've also started seeing these suckers on the road.

They look HUGE.
I haven't seen one yet, but the specs indicate it's almost as big as an Explorer, just a bit shorter in length/wheelbase.
Old 01-07-10, 08:04 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been driving around the past 3 days in a 2010 TE while my 2006 4runner V8 is having some warranty work done.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...te-rental.html

My impressions above.....

Quick Reply: First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner