Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 09:17 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The switched from an in-glass antenna to the old school screw in metal rod. Also lost the soft touch close on the tailgate, taillights are no longer LED, just to name a few changes.
I am a little shocked Toyota removed the rear LED lights. The 03-04 4runner never had rear LED and then in 05 Toyota added them. I find it surprising that Toyota went back to bulbs. Also the change to a fixed mass antenna is strange

As for the rear hatch close, that was a little pointless.

Toyota also removed the gas hatch lock and the front projector beams.
Old 01-07-10, 09:21 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I haven't seen one yet, but the specs indicate it's almost as big as an Explorer, just a bit shorter in length/wheelbase.
i dunno what it is, maybe the squared edges everywhere, but it looks very imposing on the road--I knew exactly what it was from just a quick glance...
Old 01-08-10, 04:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
i dunno what it is, maybe the squared edges everywhere, but it looks very imposing on the road--I knew exactly what it was from just a quick glance...
I agree.The '10 does look bigger and taller.
Old 01-08-10, 05:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The new 4runner is almost land cruiser size. I like the old 4runner better because it was just the right size. The interior space was too small in the old 4r, but a new design that stress opening up more interior space should do the trick. Persoanlly, the new 4r and the new GX460 is too big for me, Toyota have out size me sort of speak.
Old 01-08-10, 07:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Looks a bit like the old Sequoia, but it's still slightly shorter in length and wheelbase than the Ford Explorer.
Old 01-08-10, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
mmarshal, didnt we have this discussion before? why do you keep doing this to yourself man? Subarus are full time, rav4/crv/outlander are part time, "just" like non-limited 4runners. Part time lock center differential to get AWD, while full time systems do it through transfer case which distributes power to each wheel (yes it has torsen central diff inside so it can change the ratio if wheels slip).
Yes, we've covered the differences between continuous AWD and FWD/AWD on-demand through a center dif before....but the principle, here, is the same. I was as referring to a center-diff that allows use of the AWD on any surface. The 4-Runner did offer a 2WD/4WD transfer case, but not a center-diff, for too long.

So, I'm doing anything to myself.....just explaining my post.
Old 01-08-10, 11:56 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 4-Runner did offer a 2WD/4WD transfer case, but not a center-diff, for too long.
The 2003-2009 generation 4runner had multi-mode 4wd as well as full time four wheel drive in the V8 form. Multi mode 4wd hi could be used in all weather environments and also had the benefit of disconnect the 4wd system all together and stay as 2wd. The V6 4runner 2003-2009 was never a part time 4wd system.

All 2003-2009 non 2WD 4runner came with a centre differential and centre differential lock, only difference was that the V6 could disconnect the centre diff all together while the V8 was always connected.

All Toyota 4runner up until around 1999-2000 were part-time 4x4 vehicles. In 1999 or 2000 Toyota 4runner Limited were equipped with multi-mode 4wd.

Multi-mode is essentially full time four wheel drive with the option of 2wd.

The FJ Cruiser (auto), Tacoma and Tundra are the only part time 4wd Toyota vehicles in NA. I am still not 100% sure if the 4runner Sr5 or trail grade is part time or multi mode

Last edited by pagemaster; 01-09-10 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The 2003-2009 generation 4runner had multi-mode 4wd as well as full time four wheel drive in the V8 form. Multi mode 4wd hi could be used in all weather environments and also had the benefit of disconnect the 4wd system all together and stay as 2wd. The V6 4runner 2003-2009 was never a part time 4wd system.

All 2003-2009 non 2WD 4runner came with a centre differential and centre differential lock, only difference was that the V6 could disconnect the centre diff all together while the V8 was always connected.

All Toyota 4runner up until around 1999-2000 were part-time 4x4 vehicles. In 1999 or 2000 Toyota 4runner Limited were equipped with multi-mode 4wd.

Multi-mode is essentially full time four wheel drive with the option of 2wd.

The FJ Cruiser (auto), Tacoma and Tundra are the only part time 4wd Toyota vehicles in NA. I am still not 100% sure if the 4runner Sr5 or trail grade is part time or multi mode
Yes, it can get complex. That's why, when shopping for an AWD/4WD vehicle, you have to know exactly what you are getting and how it can be used. Many owners have seriously damaged their vehicles trying to use them like off-road Jeeps (sometimes due to over-aggressive TV sales-pitches like the Paul Hogan Subaru ads and Pontiac Montana ads), when they are clearly not designed for that type of use.
Old 01-09-10, 12:28 PM
Brent77
Rookie

SIGH

I miss the '99-'01 4runners. The only other one I like is the '85 (Fuel injection and Solid axle=Win.)
Old 01-09-10, 06:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Saw the new 4-runner today at SJ auto show, pretty beefy truck.
Old 01-09-10, 11:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wish it didn't look so FJ ish. It looks more rugged but cheaper imho. Kind of like an Xterra
Old 01-10-10, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Saw the new 4-runner today at SJ auto show, pretty beefy truck.
That may give you a pretty good starting point of what the next Lexus GX will be like....assuming that the GX was not there.
Old 01-10-10, 03:00 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I wish it didn't look so FJ ish. It looks more rugged but cheaper imho. Kind of like an Xterra
I don't think it looks cheaper, but either way, it's not a luxury SUV is it?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, it can get complex. That's why, when shopping for an AWD/4WD vehicle, you have to know exactly what you are getting and how it can be used. Many owners have seriously damaged their vehicles trying to use them like off-road Jeeps (sometimes due to over-aggressive TV sales-pitches like the Paul Hogan Subaru ads and Pontiac Montana ads), when they are clearly not designed for that type of use.
I'm not sure, but I believe that I heard that you are indeed able to use the Trail's 4wd system on pavement?
Old 01-10-10, 03:08 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Looks about the same quality as the previous gen. The previous gen was high quality all around.
Old 01-10-10, 03:09 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I'm not sure, but I believe that I heard that you are indeed able to use the Trail's 4wd system on pavement?
Toyota Canada reports that the trail model is a multi-mode unit while Toyota USA says its part time. I will be at Toyota tomorrow and I will try to confirm

Quick Reply: First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner