Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 10:41 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner

"Easily the most capable vehicle to come along since the current-generation Wrangler, and there's much to be applauded in an off-roading legend that's remained true to itself," says editor at large Arthur St. Antoine of Toyota's all-new 2010 4Runner Trail Edition. Truck Trend editor Allyson Harwood adds, "This new 4Runner is an SUV that makes me want to go off-road. Those are getting harder to come by, and it's the only new sport/utility for 2010 that causes that kind of feeling

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...ion/index.html

I have not read it yet.
Old 09-23-09, 10:45 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

What is up with the Nissan Armada style window/lock switches.....the rest of the interior I can live with.
Old 09-23-09, 10:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a dying breed, these off-road capable SUVs.

I think it will get hit hard when CAFE standards take into effect when this generation nears its end...
Old 09-23-09, 10:56 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

Bottom Line:

It's hard to find a real 4WD SUV these days, but this is a great one, no matter how you slice it
Old 09-23-09, 11:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's a dying breed, these off-road capable SUVs.

I think it will get hit hard when CAFE standards take into effect when this generation nears its end...
Agreed. They'd sell far more units if it was on the car-like side. The market for the rough and tough 4x4's is very small. But Toyota has boxed themselves into a corner with offering so many other SUV's in their line-up. 4-Runner sales will suffer, as they have been.
There once was a time when these makers were creating SUV that appeared brutish on the outside, but rode decent and had carlike interiors. Wouldn't you say that is a combination that appeals most to the masses?
Old 09-23-09, 11:34 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Some FJ styling cues in it. Nice one Toyota. Now if I could only have one with a 4.5 Diesel V8 all would be right with the world. lol.
Old 09-23-09, 11:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Ugh... I hate what they did with the windows. The windshield is way too upright and the rest of the pillar angles are old-fashioned. This is not progress at all. The 4-Runner used to have some cutting edge, modern styling to it. The dash of the 2002 model could have been in a car.
Also, is Toyota going to pass it's savings directly to the customer for using all that black plastic trim on the Trail model? You bet your socks they won't.
RIP 4-Runner. Like the Celica, Supra, MR-2, and Cressida, Toyota has out-morphed you.
Old 09-23-09, 11:59 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Ugh... I hate what they did with the windows. The windshield is way too upright and the rest of the pillar angles are old-fashioned. This is not progress at all. The 4-Runner used to have some cutting edge, modern styling to it. The dash of the 2002 model could have been in a car.
Also, is Toyota going to pass it's savings directly to the customer for using all that black plastic trim on the Trail model? You bet your socks they won't.
RIP 4-Runner. Like the Celica, Supra, MR-2, and Cressida, Toyota has out-morphed you.

This post above is silly and should be deleted. More space, more power, more features, third FOLD FLAT with a solid axle, KDSS, more capability, more MPG...with NO PRICE INCREASE.

A job well done for Toyota...it looks like they are back on track.
Old 09-24-09, 12:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pagemaster
This post above is silly and should be deleted. More space, more power, more features, third FOLD FLAT with a solid axle, KDSS, more capability, more MPG...with NO PRICE INCREASE.

A job well done for Toyota...it looks like they are back on track.
Although tongue and cheek about the morphing and black plastic comment, my point is the 4-Runner is not what it once was. And the direction they are moving in is to a niche slot. Niches do not sell in volume. Hence, a bad move for sales. This thing used to sell like crazy in the 80's, 90's, and early 00's. It was on everyone's SUV list. But the last model sank and this one just offers more of what the last one had. I don't see success with that.
Old 09-24-09, 12:46 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This thing used to sell like crazy in the 80's, 90's, and early 00's..
That's right....during the time the 4runner was so popular, TOYOTA didn't have a RX, a GX, a LX, a Highlander, a Rav, a Venza, a FJ, a Land Cruiser with a IFS, oh yeah a Sequoia...

80's and early 90's it was 4runner and Land Cruiser. Thats it. Slowly TOYOTA introduced model after model which all appeal to different buyers.
Old 09-24-09, 03:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Does it have rear and/or front lock, or is just just front and rear LSD's with center lock?
Old 09-24-09, 07:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Capable yes, but really for a small number of people that need truck-based SUV for towing and offroad stuff. My friend has one but he uses it on his 20 acre second home/mini-ranch.
Old 09-24-09, 08:18 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

If Toyota can afford to slot it into a niche market, so that its existence continues, is true to it's roots and is the best at what it was built for, I have no problem whatsoever.

Yeah, it used to sell tons back in the 80's and 80's... so what? Not every vehicle NEEDS to be a sales success to succeed. Do you have any idea how many options their are for a midsized SUV today compared to back then? Toyota built this for the people who buy and will buy a 4Runner for it's capabilities. I think in this case, they are taking exactly the right path and know what they are doing. Furthermore it uses the same chassis as the FJ, Prado/GX, LC (and by extension LX), so I don't see this as being a risk. I'm willing to be that the Tacoma(future if not current), Hilux & Fortuner also use a similar chassis so, really............ what's the problem?

Regardless of all this, form the initial reviews, it seems that it is more competent on-road now than ever, so I'm sure we will see a lot of young parents/couples buying this thing anyway.
Old 09-24-09, 08:36 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a little let down that the new 4.6L V8 won't be available. I had an 03 4Runner Sport with the V8, and I loved that truck. I was hoping to get a V8 with the new model.

I'm sure it'll be on the top of my list in a few years though.
Old 09-24-09, 08:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I see Toyota added the optional KDSS suspension in teh new 4runner instead of the old X-REAS suspension. Thsi thing should be a monster off road. The KDSS will also help the 4runner handle better on road as well. I am surprise Toyota drop the optional V8.

Quick Reply: First Test: 2010 Toyota 4Runner