Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is perfect SUV/CUV with 3rd Row?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 01:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
Not to highjack the thread, but i'm looking for a suv with a functional third row as well.

These are the vehicles im considering.
Honda Pilot-most space, poor brakes and under powered for size
Mazda CX-9- good power not as big as pilot
New 4runner-i might consider but 3rd row specs are not much bigger then highlander and its already cramped in the highlander.

To original poster why not mazda? the cx-9 is built in japan and has had great reviews.

Which one would you guys choose? Pilot vs CX-9 vs new 4runner?
I have an '04 Pilot. It has 240hp, which is more than adequate if you aren't towing. The CX9 is bigger than the Pilot (old and current) on the outside, but not as boxy, so maybe the Pilot has more room inside? From what I've read, the CX9's 3rd row is more useable than the Pilot's.

I looked briefly at the 4Runner when I got my Pilot. The 4Runner was more expensive, built on a truck chasis (which I have no use for), had a 3rd row that does not fold flat, and the 4Runner, while it looked bigger, felt cramped inside.
Old 09-24-09, 01:51 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
You guys did read this part of the original post right?

Highlander, Pilot, 4runner and CX9 are all bigger than the RX.
Sorry--I didn't read "smaller" as meaning smaller than the RX--just relatively smaller.

How many 3 row CUV's are there smaller than the RX? Not many, And the Rav4 is already ruled out.
Old 09-24-09, 07:50 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, I can recommend the Mazda CX-9 to anyone that wants quality, function (useable 3rd row) and power. A colleague recently got a CX-9 Sport (basically the base model) and it came with plenty of goodies and the dealer took $8K off MSRP without even a blink. She bit on the deal and has been happy since.

I've riden in there plenty of times and the 3rd row is enough for kids and even adults for short trips. Quality and style is very nice. I think better than the Pilot and Highlander.

The reason we (wife and I) don't want a Mazda are for "strange" personal reasons that we don't want to elaborate here. Dumb really, but it's something that would bother us if we bought it.

Honestly, the RX350 with a 3rd row, even if it's not for adults but for little children would have been PERFECT for us. I'm not looking for a 3rd row to use ALL THE TIME, just for once in a while when we have one or two adults more to haul around. Right now, with a 6, 4, and 2 year old, a five passenger is more than enough. My girls unfortunately are tall for their age, so the RAV4 3rd row is not sufficient and so totally bombs it out. Quality is bad too.

Honestly, worse comes to worse, I might have to trade my RX in for the 1st Gen. MDX, but that fake wood bothers me for being an Acura.

Thank you all for your feedback thus far.
Old 09-24-09, 08:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really think you have many options unless you move to midsize like the Pilot and Highlander. There is nothing smaller than your RX that has a usable third row.

My recommendation is the Highlander...it seems to win every one of these "we need a fuel efficient, dependable SUV with 3 rows" conversations.
Old 09-25-09, 01:15 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Highlander or the Pilot are your only choices, or the Hyundai Veracruz, which is a stretch Santa Fe more or less. The Ford Flex is more like a boxier and cooler Windstar - after all Ford created the Flex to fill in the gap between their sedans and SUVs, but I'm sure it's a great car unlike the Ford of yesteryears past.

However, I can only recommend the Pilot on a whim - Honda has completely dropped the ball on this one IMO. It looks like a H2 got beat with the ugly stick, and I do not know if I can trust Honda's word that they have fixed the tranny issues in these yet.
Old 09-25-09, 05:04 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, if I were replacing my RX, I would actually consider the Veracruz high on my list, above the Pilot and Highlander. The short list for me would be Veracruz or Tribeca, both are significantly better interior quality than Honda or Toyota. They were made to be higher competitors.

I'm still about three months from having to decide, so hopefully a "vision" comes to me.
Old 09-25-09, 05:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Honestly, I can recommend the Mazda CX-9 to anyone that wants quality, function (useable 3rd row) and power. A colleague recently got a CX-9 Sport (basically the base model) and it came with plenty of goodies and the dealer took $8K off MSRP without even a blink. She bit on the deal and has been happy since.

I've riden in there plenty of times and the 3rd row is enough for kids and even adults for short trips. Quality and style is very nice. I think better than the Pilot and Highlander.

The reason we (wife and I) don't want a Mazda are for "strange" personal reasons that we don't want to elaborate here. Dumb really, but it's something that would bother us if we bought it.

Honestly, the RX350 with a 3rd row, even if it's not for adults but for little children would have been PERFECT for us. I'm not looking for a 3rd row to use ALL THE TIME, just for once in a while when we have one or two adults more to haul around. Right now, with a 6, 4, and 2 year old, a five passenger is more than enough. My girls unfortunately are tall for their age, so the RAV4 3rd row is not sufficient and so totally bombs it out. Quality is bad too.

Honestly, worse comes to worse, I might have to trade my RX in for the 1st Gen. MDX, but that fake wood bothers me for being an Acura.

Thank you all for your feedback thus far.

RX350 with a 3rd row = Toyota Highlander.
Old 09-25-09, 05:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Actually, if I were replacing my RX, I would actually consider the Veracruz high on my list, above the Pilot and Highlander. The short list for me would be Veracruz or Tribeca, both are significantly better interior quality than Honda or Toyota. They were made to be higher competitors.

I'm still about three months from having to decide, so hopefully a "vision" comes to me.
The Tribecca has not had any positive review that I have read.
Old 09-25-09, 05:58 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nissan Pathfinder!
Old 09-25-09, 07:12 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anja have you been in the Highlander? Toyota has gotten some bad press for shoddy interiors in the Tundra and Camry but the Highlander is certainly one of their nicest and is up to the "old Toyota" standard if you ask me.

It could probably pass off for a Lexus in Limited trim.
Old 09-25-09, 07:17 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nikko2jzge
Nissan Pathfinder!
Being a Pathfinder owner, as much as I love the Pathfinder the 3rd row in that thing is so useless, plus fuel efficiency is not that great which I think is a concern to the OP.
Old 09-25-09, 08:05 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
The new 4runner has a third row but I don't know how functional it is. I honestly don't see what's so bad about minivans. Sure they're boring but damnit they get the job done
+1... Sienna... try as we might, just cannot bear to trade it and I SWORE I would NEVER drive one... LOVE it!!!! Can tow 3,500 lbs. easily!!!!

If you go SUV, Veracruz is best bang for buck, neighbor's on his 3rd, VERY nice interior
Old 09-25-09, 09:19 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Go with a GL320 cdi, you'll have a car thats way more luxurious than an navigator or an escalade and it will have a more car like feal while the lincoln will feel like a f150 and escalade like a silverado. With gl you will probably be getting simaler mpg's as the v6 rav4
Old 09-25-09, 09:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
The new 4runner has a third row but I don't know how functional it is. I honestly don't see what's so bad about minivans. Sure they're boring but damnit they get the job done
Originally Posted by rdgdawg
+1... Sienna... try as we might, just cannot bear to trade it and I SWORE I would NEVER drive one... LOVE it!!!! Can tow 3,500 lbs. easily!!!!

If you go SUV, Veracruz is best bang for buck, neighbor's on his 3rd, VERY nice interior
Sienna owner here also.

That's the problem with some of the bigger than an RX but smaller than large size SUVS: no useable trunk space with the 3rd row in place.

I was a GX owner before and as much as I love that thing, the trunk was still useless when you got to pack the strollers and all that crap while carrying the other 7 passengers.

(You want to talk about cheap, convenience and versatile, the minivan is the way to go.)
I know there's a mucho sense to getting an suv vs. the minivan but in everyday life, it's alot more convenient.
Old 09-25-09, 01:53 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

As others have stated, a non-large 3-row suv is practically non-existent. But how about something a little different, like the Ford Flex? It's not large in the same sense as a Escallade, Sequoia, or Navigator, but it has a roomy interior and 3 rows. The style may be a bit polarizing, but it's worth a look at.

Quick Reply: What is perfect SUV/CUV with 3rd Row?