Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another SUV 3rd row thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 02:42 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
yes i read very good things about the transverse,enclave,acadia. i just dont think the wife wants to drive a gm car. she's not into them otherwise i would give serious consideration to gm cars.

why is the pilot so poor in your opinion besides weak motor and below avg brakes.
Other than what you mentioned? Relative to the competition it's loud inside, doesn't have as good of a ride/handling balance, and I personally think the exterior and interior looks are not so hot, but that's subjective.

I know how some women can be about cars... once they get their mind set a certain way, there's no changing it with logic because it's really more of an emotional decision than a logical one. My wife is OK with GM vehicles but doesn't like Cadillac, specifically. Still, might be worth at least getting her to test drive it.
Old 09-24-09, 02:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
The highlanders 3rd row is too small for what im looking for. That is why i'm considering the Pilot, CX-9, and maybe the acadia.

as far as used goes i wouldn't mind picking up an 08 toy sequoia, but the main issue with that suv is its size.

does anybody know if honda will ever upgrade the pilot engine to the mdx 3.7liter v6 motor? I really do like the pilot, but the weak motor and brakes really turn me off.
I have an '04 Pilot, and if you aren't towing, and just using it for standard uses, it's far from "weak".
Old 09-24-09, 02:46 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me and my wife had the same dilemma. However, considerring the cargo space (which is very essential for us) and third row we narrowed our choices down to Buick Enclave, Ford Flex, Acura MDX or the more expensive Audi Q7
Old 09-24-09, 02:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Me and my wife had the same dilemma. However, considerring the cargo space (which is very essential for us) and third row we narrowed our choices down to Buick Enclave, Ford Flex, Acura MDX or the more expensive Audi Q7
Which did you choose and why?
Old 09-24-09, 03:00 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are even considering going off the pavement, forget the Enclave and its clones. That lower suspension mount and crossbar at the rear is going to hang high center almost immediately.

Before anyone gets too enamored of that third row, realize it is good for short trips only. Rent a car as similar to the one you are considering and drive it for a day with a full load of passengers. Take a road trip for a day and enjoy the amenities, but pay close attention to the real utility of that third row. Be sure there is room enough to accommodate your usual passengers back there.

For adults it is much too hard to enter and exit and even for youngsters sitting over or behind the rear axle induces some pretty strange motion to your stomach and inner ears. If you are going to use that third row, hang a few barf bags from the back of the second. I could have sold tickets to that third row on my Suburbans to local kids who were looking for the best way to make their friends puke. Prone to motion sickness? Stay outta the wayback!

Last edited by Lil4X; 09-24-09 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 03:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A minivan is a lot more comfy in 3rd row, but many can't get past the poor image of a minivan.
Old 09-24-09, 03:13 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Which did you choose and why?

We are still uncertain, but leaning more to Audi Q7 - since we liked its ride the most, and it has more cargo space behind the third row than MDX or Enclave. However, I also like the Enclave a lot...
Old 09-24-09, 03:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I've driven the new Pilot and it had plenty of power. No one has ever stated it was underpowered until now (How aggressive do you plan on driving a family truck?). The brakes felt fine as well. I too did not like it's styling at first, but I could live with it.
If it were me in your position, I'd drive everything. All the vehicles you listed are good choices and driving them will help you decide. Personally, I'd likely go with the GMC and not keep it more than four years. Or search for a slightly used MDX.
Good luck!
Old 09-24-09, 05:15 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want power in an SUV, look at Porsche or MBZ offerings. Do you plan on racing at every light or high speed runs on the freeway? Highly unlikely... I've had our Pilot loaded at full capacity numerous times and it has no problem carrying that capacity around. If you have kids, or friends with kids, the 2nd row can fit 3 child seats w/out a hiccup. Pretty handy when you're carpooling to take the kids to places. I've sat in the 3rd row w/ 2 other adults and I had no problems with space.
Old 09-24-09, 05:56 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The rear seating accomodations in the Enclave are stunning. Screens for the whole family..

And the oh so important 3rd row below..

Old 09-24-09, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Out of the list you mentioned, I'd go with the Pilot, for several reasons, but the main one being build quality and reliability in a good daily-driving package. The 4Runner offers good (if not better) reliability, but it is skewed more towards off-road driving and has some features (like a locking 4WD Low range and differentials) that you would probably not need for on-road daily driving.....so why pay for them? the 4Runner would also probably not equal the Pilot's gas mileage.

The CX-9 offers a typical Mazda driver-centered chassis and swoopy, wedge-like styling, but, according to Consumer reports, its reliability is somewhat below that of the Pilot (but still on its Recommended list). I also didn't like its red-orange dash lights (I don't on any car). The Acadia is huge, almost as big as the Tahoe/Yukon, and has gobs of room inside and a big 3rd-row seat. In a pinch, you can even fit in eight people, if the adults in the third-row seat are not large. But its reliability has been below average.

So, granted, the Pilot may not have sports-car-like acceleration or brakes, but, unless you in a situation where those are really important to you, it would be my first choice.

Mike (1SICKLEX) mentioned the Acura MDX as a possible alternative (and I agree, if you find the Pilot's interior too stark), but I found the present-generation MDX's interior/dash panel a little quirky. And the steering wheel's leather stitching on the rim, on my test/review MDX, was sharp, protruding, and rather uncomfortable to hold (that may have been redressed this year). The Pilot does not seem to have those problems.....and it is less money to boot.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-09 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 07:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The rear seating accomodations in the Enclave are stunning. Screens for the whole family..

And the oh so important 3rd row below..

Are those real photos or computer images? I completely agree the interior is fantastic

Old 09-24-09, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Are those real photos or computer images? I completely agree the interior is fantastic

They're real, Mike. I've reviewed an Enclave, and a neighbor of mine owns one.

Yes, it's DEFINITELY plush-looking, but don't be fooled by all that "chrome" and "wood"...it's all on the surface, on top of plastic. Except for the steering wheel rim, which IS real wood, most of the rest of the interior is the same GM plastic underneath with a thin surface coat of chrome/wood glitz on it which, admittedly, DOES look good.
Old 09-24-09, 07:40 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Professional photos of interior are some times far from what reality is. Anyway, for my 2c worth, I'd take the CX-9 for price (dealers are cutting $8K off the MSRP across all trims) and functionality of the 3rd row. I have a colleage that got the sport and even in this "base" trim, the interior is very nice and materials I think better than the Pilot and Highlander. Honda and Toyota have taken some big steps back with their interior material...

The only reason I am not considering the CX-9 is because my wife doesn't like Mazda.. for personal reasons.
Old 09-24-09, 08:48 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am surprised to hear anyone praising the interior of the Traverse. The door panel practically fell off in my hand last time I saw one. There were gaps large enough to stick a finger into.

As for the issue at hand...my choice is the CX-9 or Highlander even though you supposedly already crossed it off the list. The Pilot is grotesque to look at and really just not impressive overall, IMO. The Enclave and Flex or Lincoln MKT are good options too.

Quick Reply: Another SUV 3rd row thread